Marking runes and travel?

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Namodias, Jul 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ara

Ara Avatar

Yeah i guess it is one of those things that it's hard to fully agree on.

2. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

It's not unbalanced.

If the odds aren't in someones favor, that means the fight itself is unbalanced. So what you're saying is, it's unbalanced that someone can escape being ganked, because you don't like that.

3. Owain

Owain Avatar

If you want even odds, fight in the arena or fight duels. If you never want to fight in a mismatched fight, don't participate in open PvP. The OPEN part of that implies that you may very well find yourself outnumbered.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  4. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

and the OPEN part also implies that people are entitled to peace out of there if they sense that there's a ganking afoot. I'm sorry it yet again gets in the way with how you would like to play the game.

If 5 warriors can roll up on a single wizard without any limitations to their abilities, the wizard should be allowed to teleport away without limitations.

5. Owain

Owain Avatar

Sure, if they can escape under their own power, whether that mean fighting their way out of the corner they've found themselves in, or evading the pursuit on foot, but to avoid the problems UO had with PvP with making it entirely too easy for a murderer to get away with murder, I think it's the best way. Otherwise, we will find ourselves in the same situation that existed in UO with PKs able to easily get away with murder.

If a single wizard doesn't want to experience a beat down, he should not be wandering around all by his lonesome, or should not be flagged for open PvP.

6. Owain

Owain Avatar

@Lum, I sure hope you figure out why edit is broken. It's very annoying.

7. Arkhan

Arkhan Avatar

So, fighters can club the wizard with their magical equipment, unrestricted, but a wizard can't use his boots of escaping or escape spell, because you think it makes it too easy for them, and harder for you, the melee expert.

Got it. That makes absolutely zero sense.

Remember that prison/wanted list idea I had once that you hated? Yeah. Start thinking outside of the box, dude.

So, a wizard can't play as they want with the full use of their powers, because they might encounter a group of over zealous melee dudes/dudettes and suddenly be told "sorry, all of your evasive maneuvers have been deactivated. It's only fair. Enjoy being stabbed to death."

8. God

God Avatar

To everyone complaining about how they believe recall/gate should be excluded, and that we should all walk everywhere we need to go..

No.. That is valuable game time that a lot of us can't spare these days..
    Sure, I want to explore for myself but a good portion of the time, if I know exactly where I want/need to be then I want to recall/gate me or my friends there.. Not spend potentially 30 minutes to an hour WALKING..

This is something that I believe could potentially turn a lot of "casual" gamers away.. A good bit of the people that played UO at a younger age (myself included) had HOURS or DAYS to play at a time. Not so much anymore.

As someone pointed out earlier, recall/gate has been involved in ultima for a long time.. Why scratch it now?

9. God

God Avatar

It's selfish of someone that probably has a LOT of extra time to play to push not having recall on someone with a schedule..

Not saying anyone here has days to play necessarily, but I don't know any of you personally, nor do I know your schedules.

10. Owain

Owain Avatar

@God, how then do you propose to eliminate the problems faced by UO players with respect to Recall/Gate?

11. God

God Avatar

What problems, specifically?

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

Recall particularly made it too easy to get away with murder. Kill a person, recall out, and there is virtually no chance of catching the murderer. People say they want to curb the prevalence of PKing in SotA, but then propose game designs that encourage the same kind of Pking they say they want to discourage.

13. God

God Avatar

If you are the first to act violently towards another player, make a timer from the last hit landed til you can cast recall..
    If you are the player acted against, no timer.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Doesn't help. If someone is flagged as a murderer, how do you catch them if they just recall out if they haven't attacked anyone recently?

The problem really only arises in open PvP. If recall/gate is disabled when flagged for open PvP or guild wars, then that addresses the problem without affecting everyone else.

15. God

God Avatar

But that brings me back to my point.. What if I want to be flagged for pvp, but am running on time constraints?

Also, what if we went with the idea I presented.. But if you are flagged red, there is no recall.. Whether you are attacking or being attacked?
    Makes sense to me.. Even though i will probably pk if I am able to, I understand that going red has consequences..

16. God

God Avatar

It's as simple as that.
    When it comes down to it, you cannot please everyone.

I personally am happy just to know that we will BE ABLE to pvp.

..and with that, we should not be trying to micro manage the devs job. We got almost what we wanted, why push it?

17. Owain

Owain Avatar

You time constraints are an insufficient justification to introduce a game imbalance. Sorry, but there it is.

If a game feature only punishes one play style (murderer, in this case), that is bad game design. If it applies to murderers, it should apply to everyone. The game shouldn't punish someone for playing the game as designed. The consequences of going red are that you are a target for everyone in the game flagged for open PvP. That should be enough.

18. God

God Avatar

Actually time constraints ARE a justification.. Not for game imbalance (because I just gave you one of possibly many options to help the case) but for helping players that don't have all day to sit and walk..

It has been stated that this game will cater to casual players.. Aka players who don't have all day to do menial tasks such as walking EVERYWHERE.

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

I hope the game does cater to casual players, but I don't want to see the game screwed up to cater to casual players.

20. God

God Avatar

And I understand what you're saying, for sure.. As I will definitely be devoting a good bit of time to this game.. Seeing as I've waited on it since I was 11..

But I believe that even with the simple solution I answered with, along with a few tweaks here and there, it will be okay.
    I trust the dev team.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.