Sold off and letting go.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rune_74, Oct 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gix

Gix Avatar

Just because you don't believe (or can't see how) that they can make an Ultima 4 or 7 or whatever in a multi-player environment without having to set up special single-player-specific rules doesn't mean that it can't be done.

It certainly is possible so it's just a matter of whenever or not Portalarium is up to the task.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  2. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

I applaud your faith, and do indeed hope that it will be what all the single player advocates hope it can be.

3. Gix

Gix Avatar

Don't mistaken my certainty as faith in Portalarium. I hope because SotA is one of the few games that would benefit from a successful hybrid implementation.

You can have the idea of building a tree house and have wood, nails, hammers and still end up with a dog house instead.... which is more likely to happen in the case of SotA. I'm just saying that the tree house can exist.

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

I've been trying to encourage people to keep their eye on that prize. I'm discouraged whenever the multi-player fans put down the idea that the single-player experience, with everything that entails, immersive atmosphere, etc., is even important to the game. And I'm discouraged whenever the single-player fans talk really pessimistically abut the idea that single-player and multi-player can work together and start referring to the offline game.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  5. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I think you expect too much from something that's still being made... Your making this far too personnel, when you shouldn't... I don't know what you were expecting, but it was too much... This game is a blast, but that's my oppinion, so if you want to "Quit" and "Sell" everything, that's up to you... I hope you find what you're looking for...

majoria70 likes this.
  6. darkthrone451

darkthrone451 Avatar

Videogames can be a hard knock life, haha. Getting financially invested in a kickstarted game is a gamble. But thems the breaks.

majoria70 and Enfo like this.
  7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I dont think rune is worried about the financial part. I think he is/was worried that the lack of communication on a part of the game he pledged for. I respect rune for his stance on things, he often had to stand up against many people in the herd mentality. I may not feel the same about the exact issues, but I have been one of the people that posts, tags devs names, and never, ever gets responses. In another life if I planned things right, I would live in Austin, and then be able to bring gifts to the devs and not have to worry about posting on the forums anymore.

argyle, Kaisa, Sir Cabirus and 10 others like this.
  8. darkthrone451

darkthrone451 Avatar

Well they got my $45 and my mild interest, along with 8-9 other crowd funded projects, beyond that its whatever. As for having to live in Austin in order give gifts to the devs.. Sure that would get you a little farther, but the deep internal shame you would have to feel to be that guy seems like a bad value to me :p jk

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

:p Ya, I agree, but the shame should actually fall on both parties! J/k :p

10. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Just a guess but pretty sure the devs are busy doing all sorts of things and can't address every single post?

SmokerKGB and Miracle Dragon like this.
  11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

of course! Thats why I said in a perfect world I would move to Austin! :) We all know its not a perfect world :D And yes they put in some hellish hours. I would not want their job.

Sir Cabirus and Budner like this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Many of us make many suggestions and have many questions. My point is that if they addressed everything we brought up squarely, we'd still be on R3, the overland map would look like a Flintstones cartoon, trolls would exist only in the forum and not in the game, and Novia would be a figment of RG's imagination.

13. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

If they didnt listen then we would have been launched in oct 2014. Things could have been adjusted by now for episode 2 and implemented all the suggestions.

argyle likes this.
  14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Can't beleive you guys are using humor to justify this wretched logic...

15. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

When you lose your sense of humor, you lose your humanity. Relax, it's a game.

Mordecai, Womby, Sir Cabirus and 4 others like this.
  16. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

This is pulled from a quote by Star Long, referring to PvP:
    "However passionate we are about the topic though, we cannot let that emotion rule our communications. We also must be careful when we release information because we are not yet ready to commit to the details of PVP. When we are ready we will engage fully with you just like we have on other topics. In the meantime, though, we will not allow bullying, threats of violence (even tongue in cheek innuendo), or personal attacks (this goes for both sides of the arguments). Any of these behaviors will result in a warning and/or an instant ban from the forums.
    We promise more information soon. Until then please respect each other and us as developers. Remember we are all on the same side with the same goal: make an amazing leap forward for role playing games."
    Now here's the same quote, with Singleplayer Offline Mode replacing PvP, and soon(TM) replacing soon:
    "However passionate we are about the topic though, we cannot let that emotion rule our communications. We also must be careful when we release information because we are not yet ready to commit to the details of Singleplayer Offline Mode. When we are ready we will engage fully with you just like we have on other topics. In the meantime, though, we will not allow bullying, threats of violence (even tongue in cheek innuendo), or personal attacks (this goes for both sides of the arguments). Any of these behaviors will result in a warning and/or an instant ban from the forums.
    We promise more information soon(TM). Until then please respect each other and us as developers. Remember we are all on the same side with the same goal: make an amazing leap forward for role playing games."

I think that about sums things up here..

Spoon and 4EverLost like this.
  17. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Sometimes we laugh so we don't cry. Perhaps that seems a bit melodramatic, but today maybe I am. All the emotions feel real. That's a gamers world for you. Is it real, is it a lie? So many emotions, ups and downs. Ok lighten up Majoria lol I'm just feeling it all today.:cool:

18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Tell that to the devs, I have no issue other than that ; don't act like I've been antagonizing you.

You're right majoria... I'm the first to laugh at myself and when its appropriate laugh of situations. But here comes this thread, someone jumps in and calls Rune a troll, everyone is paralysed... its a trap its a bait, son, yea ; man.

Everyone is petrified ? wheres the forum spirit, maybe if we care enough Rune is not going to sell out ?

Thanks Majoria, we need more people that are not afraid to tell their true emotions and walk back a little when they've been too conquering. I find in myself that I really care about Rune, bait or not... and besides the problem is not that he was upset about some features, its that noone in the dev team not even the most lowly member found it in their heart to appease Rune. That means that there is a clear lack of community management, perhaps because there isn't enough people and community management also does customer service, but then again that would be wrong.

Look I'm not saying DOOM AND GLOOM and saying you are all eternally bound to hell or anything of the sort... but the vacuum left by some elements missing in the community makes me think thrice about the real value of the interconnections created by a central "all seeing eye" entity.

And our game is supposed to be inspired by tolkien and dragonlance, yet we somehow manage to sidestep so many aspects of its morals and ethics and even roleplaying hygiene, if I might.

Really all I'm left with is : WHY ?

The answer dosen't please me, at all, it churns my stomach inside out.

19. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Wut? Sorry, where was I acting like you were antagonizing me?

Montaigne, Womby and Ice Queen like this.
  20. Nick Krowley

Nick Krowley Avatar

What started out as a goodbye thread has devolved into a "RP and etiquette" critique.

I guess the golden rule is "if ya ain't got anything nice ta say" followed up with "if ya feel the need to announce you're quitting..."

I honestly don't understand what is happening here.
    1. The game is in alpha.
    2. The internet is a horrible place.

Just test the game, accept what it is, and be nice to each other. It's not rocket science. When the game gets more polished the features you desire will become available or scrapped, and new players (good and bad) will become more prevalent.

/headscratch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.