1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Release 30 Instructions

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

Did everyone stop for a moment, take a look at the post in its entirety (ctrl and minus zooms out the browser window/tab, btw), and realize how COLOSSALLY HUGE the list of changes/additions/fixes is?

Still, everything in a single month, done by a studio whose entire size is comparable to the legal or marketing department of other software houses.

2. Alton Brown

Alton Brown Avatar

@DarkStarr please tell me these changes regarding item durability are NOT applicable to reward items for which we have paid money. That was not the deal when we paid for items (rewards or otherwise) and we should not lose items we paid for by using them. Please confirm my understanding or help me with my grief that my precious rewards are temporary at best.

3. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

they can break, for a "dlmb", they never said they wouldnt break ether :p

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  4. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Also hope people like the name tag colors, helped work on them a good deal :)
    tweaks were made, but im glad i could help move it in right direction.

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos

I dont think people will get the hospitallers/outlander confused with devs

the hospitaller/outlander colors only effect the title color as where the devs color effects the entire name plate.
    and also I hope that people can read.. there are instructions now i believe when you start a new game explaining the hospitaller program.

5. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I have removed references to threats against the company, players here, and posts that derail the from the main subject, which is R30 build in its entirety.

We have the forums setup here to post constructive feedback and the anticipation of Release 30 build, not argue endlessly against specific points that take over the thread. Thank you.

Last edited: May 25, 2016
  6. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Wait, you mean they have to RTFM? You can't be serious!!!! :p

But I agree, there is IMHO enough difference due to the dual-color titles... And also it says "Hopitaller", not "Developer" or "Portalarium" or whatever it is they have over their heads now... (I rarely look at the titles, just at the names, TBH)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

How does one turn the Scene Chat Channel on?

8. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

As noted, things can break, but most can also be repaired again... Also, the fact you paid cash for items doesn't mean they cannot be consumables! Look at the dyes, those are consumables, as are some of the fireworks packages...
    Now for the Artisan and Prosperity tools, I am pretty sure they said they'd be indestructable... And as a matter of fact, the add-on store specifically says: "While tools with similar effects can be crafted and purchased in the game these tools never need repair. ", so I assume Portalarium will honor that!

9. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I know it's tempting to be all up in arms about changes to the repair system but this particular version is new and will be tuned extensively so let's just give it a go and see how it pans out?

If I end up fighting mostly in worn out rags then so be it! No harm in trying it out at the very least :)

Fister Magee and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  10. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

In the player instructions it says
    /z

11. syxs

syxs Avatar

I think the repair system is flawed in a fundamental way.
    Why are we being penalized for being a crafter by having to get a random rare drop in order to repair the maximum durability?
    Items should have three repair "recipes" for crafters to use.
    The first one is a basic repair this will repair the item but the maximum durability will decrease, resource wise this is the cheapest recipe to produce but the amount of the maximum durability removes is the greatest.
    The second one is a more advanced repair for the item and it cost roughly double the basic repair for resources, but this is not for a basic crafter to make is journeyman level difficulty recipe. But this only decreases the maximum durability of the item by half of the amount the basic repair recipe does.
    The third and final recipe for repair would be at a master level this level allows you to repair the maximum durability. This recipes resource cost would be about double of the journeyman level repair. This way no random rare drop is needed in order to repair a durability of an item it is the skill games not random rare drops that dictate economy.

12. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

As a crafter you're the person I'm going to be tracking down to source replacement armor & weapons as the max durability slowly wears out on things I'm using. If you can craft some masterwork things then I'll be a customer of yours too.

In fact this rare drop mechanic guarantees a surge in your business because people can't just slap repair kits on their gear with a blacksmithing workbench and cut you out of their ongoing needs. People are going to want to carefully consider what they use obsidian crowns on.

13. syxs

syxs Avatar

Yes your max durability slowly wears down, not saying to take that out. Saying make it so only a Master level crafter can raise it back up to full but also make it very expensive to do so.

And by expensive I mean the cost to make the item in materials level of cost. This way when you make a great set of gear and want to keep it, it takes a Master level crafter plus the same amount of resources to raise the max durability back to its original level. This way you would only do it for items that you really want to keep and you would have to know someone who could do it. The new system doesn't make it sound like you need good skills to repair the max durability it just needs the obsidian crowns which means they will be used by people with low level skills without the need to go back to the master crafters that make the great gear. Adding rares to do something isn't a good thing as it just makes another hoop to jump though to do something.

14. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

Yeah I see what you're saying. Making crafter skill a component does make some sense. We'll see how it goes during testing I guess.

I'm going to wear all my gear into the ground and see how many (if any) obsidian crowns I can find. I've actually yet to get one.

15. himmelweiss

himmelweiss Avatar

There are so many wrong design decisions in R30 & R29 it`s just sad.
    After R28 they somehow decided to mess up half of the game & controls.
    Crafting, combat, controls, targeting, repair, camera shoulder zoom (have fun with new cam zoom mechanic i guess) etc..

Everything has been already said with some good suggestions in the QA (not only by me).

Guess i will see after FW if i still want to play this mess or not.

16. Rofo

Rofo Avatar

you can use /z to speak in zone

Noric likes this.
  17. GreyMouser Skye

GreyMouser Skye Avatar

@Kara Brae
    But the only way to 'hear' in zone is to click the Zone checkbox in a tab. It is turned off by default. Does not make a lot of sense yet. It will never be useful unless you go turn it on. /z will just be talking to the thin air for a while.

18. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

19. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

I disagree, nothing but positives all around.
    Great job Pol! I see this game really starting to be ready for release in Dec.

Astor Cerberus likes this.
  20. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

The Gold COTO's in the bank after claiming rewards was a nice surprise!

Thanks gang.

Fister Magee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.