1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Love UO

Love UO Avatar

Crowns are the best thing since sliced bread! I don't understand all fo the haters on these forums. This will benefit the game and help crafters by people wanting more of the new armor styles. and they will stop repairing thier old armor.

Alton Brown and Fister Magee like this.
  2. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We're honestly trying our very best to moderate appropriately. I've had a few years of experience on this subject, so trust me when I say we're trying to be as fair as possible. If something is moderated, it's moderated for a good reason that we will make very transparent to the person in question. If there are concerns with an action, just let us know and we can talk about it via PM.

Regardless of the occasional moderation that needs to be taken, we deeply care for our entire community, which is again why we haven't closed this thread long ago :). We need your feedback.

3. syxs

syxs Avatar

Different mild forms of autism effect how one tries to express ideas. Not seeing insults as insults or making eye contact. Lots of social niceties are lost both in expression to and from them. Yes I have this issue and a few others. I don't see things as rude or non-rude when doing certain things. Saying what I see something as is how I always say it, yes it causes me no ends of trouble and I try to offset it but that is sometimes very hard for me to see. Emotions are hard to express and understand. So what should someone like me learn? To sit own and keep quiet? Again not saying this to you or attacking you but for me to learn what someone else might consider an attack is very hard to do.

Edit:

Yes I have issues and I know this and am not afraid to admit it. But how many people don't know they have these issues or are afraid if they do admit it people will shy away from them. Not making excuses for trolls or jerks but that is something I keep in mind at all times why I can respect someone even if we don't see eye to eye, calling something what you view it as might hurt feelings but that is a viewpoint.

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Do you know what I love about this?

I can now go to a vendor, buy really cheap stuff that is on its last legs in durability and then use an Obsidian Crown to fix it up like new. :)

Observations:
    • Crafters would be out of business if everyone did this. Of course, not everyone is going to do this so they're not going to be out of business.
    • Crafters will eventually be able to make items that have MORE durability than 50, giving them one more way to distinguish themselves from other crafters.
    • The regional economy is not even close to being in place yet. This is yet another way for crafters to distinguish themselves from other crafters.
    • The astrological effects on crafting are not in place yet. This is yet another way for crafters to distinguish themselves from other crafters.
    • As the player population grows, there will be an entire in-game market of people buying up low durability items just for salvaging purposes alone! This means less opportunity for players with crowns to buy them, and more need to use those salvaged resources from crafters.
    • As Obsidian Crowns begin to have other uses (like entry to special events, or the purchase of rare items from special NPC merchants) those crowns will be driven out of the economy and provide crafters with new demand for newly made goods and services.

It's a very smart plan that will require constant balancing that will unfortunately be too reactive at times, but will still provide a very compelling player run economy.

Fister Magee and Bodhbh Dearg like this.
  5. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Oh, and there is a known bug which decreases durability right now!... :p

6. foolishwtf

foolishwtf Avatar

The problem is all that stuff will break in 2 days and need a crown to fix :( Those who buy it will be using crowns, and the crafter made one sale. Maybe increasing crafting mats / decreasing recipes will make chewing through armors and weapons less awful.

To quote a buddy, "You lost gear all the time in UO, but replacing it was trivial"

7. Myoryn_Craysley

Myoryn_Craysley Avatar

:cool:

8. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Balance issue.

They're already decreasing the use decay rate. Nothing's finished yet.

[​IMG]

Sean Silverfoot, Siriustar and NRaas like this.
  9. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

As Bodhbh Dearg noted, that is most likely a bug, or a balancing issue.

The devs did just implement this new durability system, I would not expect it to be balanced until at least next release. :)

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  10. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

it will no break in two days, and if it was just store bought stuff it is and always was just easier and cheaper to just buy new than repair it.

11. foolishwtf

foolishwtf Avatar

Feedback such as me showing how my entire set of armor is going to end up at 0/10 since the durability changes made saturday morning are the reason we can have a polished product down the road. There's only a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow if we and they do our parts. Feedback is important.

12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

There's an entire economic balancing act that hasn't occurred yet.

The use of weapons and armor by different players is going to be different. Some people that attack at range will not see as much damage to armor. While some people will train in skills that help reduce weapon and armor damage. Over time you'll be able to figure out ways to manage item loss due to damage and the smart players will probably begin buying from crafters in bulk for a discount. There's not going to be a need to have Obsidian Crowns, it will just make life more convenient for you at the cost of 1.00 to .85 dollars per coin. The best crafters might even demand Obsidian Crowns for new armor and weapons.

The sky is not falling here. The game will be balanced. Next month they are committed to polishing the economy so that it's ready for the persistent world after the final wipe.

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

So those who have their gear down to 0/0 van choose to sell the broken gear for cheaper price, so that someone else can buy it and "refurbish" the piece with COTO and sell it back for more money.

Interesting concept of 2nd hand market.

Bodhbh Dearg, NRaas and Fister Magee like this.
  15. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

To be honest, many of us cannot be considered yes-men (or yes-women), given the amount of flak we pump out on devs. And Chris in particular has been an incredible target to rain clusterbombs onto. He did chin up and discussion, albeit heated, was always civil and I dare to say productive.

Even if I'm total disagreement with this move, they listened to me, my grievance and the ones of the many who were able to express them frankly but respectfully.

I had my share of (deserved) deleted posts, but one thing I feel I can say: even if they don't agree, they listen to no-men (and no-women).

16. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

4 pages ago I made a question as part of a post that even when liked, passed unnoticed amongst the rest of the conversation... i'm still interested in discussing it.
    The buffs can be handled to be just a convenient help to level up, and they stated that the gold injection it implies can be controlled so it doesn't disturb the economy, but making them mandatory for repairs is to place a money mark at the end of an adventurer's road. Gear may not be as important as it was in WoW but we'll need it still to be competitive, so that is, in fact, monetizing the high end game. Regardless of the time we need to get there or the amount of money required to be paid, having a $ stepstone into continue playing is a turn off for lots of potential players.

Those are the same players that, given a route free of additional $ to an enjoyable game, may invest in the already monetized aspects, like housing, decoing, vendors (currently granted only by pledge). Lots of additional use for this currency could be done, like a way to change the looks of our character, or some other elements that could imply additional convenience without imbalancing the high end and also not being mandatory.

SotA was always a game of choices. You can (and must) lure, tempt and entice players into spending additional money but let them choose if they want to. There are other aspects related to every character that may yield that money as well. Why not start from there?

Solazur, Elnoth and helm like this.
  17. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

But coins can be found on any mob you kill. ATM its 1:1000, they'll adjust as necessary. Buying them with cash is just a convenient option aside from killing mobs...

Time Lord and Sean Silverfoot like this.
  18. Noric

Noric Avatar

I believe this is misinformation.

The 1:1000 is the odds of getting a coin IF the server has any to give out. The server constraints appear to make it a lot lower than 1:1000.

Until they bother to tell us how many are actually dropping versus mobs being killed - we don't actually know what the real drop rate is.

Lord Baldrith, agra, Solazur and 2 others like this.
  19. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

It can not stay at a 1:1000 drop rate and at the same time be needed required every 2 days on 5 pieces of armor and a weapon (or 2 if you use both hands) in order to stay in play.....
    I can kill a LOT, but 1:1000 ? No way that's gonna work. Buy them in the store for a buck a piece ? Nope, not me. On principle I won't do that. PayToStayInTheFight , I think not.

However, I am confident it all (drop rates, durability, etc.) will be balanced so that we will NOT need to spend 20 bucks in the store every week. Very, very few of us would do that, and I am certain Portalarium knows that too.

20. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

I do agree that ratio (and server constraints as Noric pointed out) could be adjusted to make GCOTO statistically available to the kind of player they choose to, but i'm not talking about the availability. I want to talk about alternatives. That's because even when the amount could be adjusted as convenient, the message out there will be "you need to use a monetized element to keep your gear top notch". I'd like to consider different and optional aspects of the game to be monetized before linking it directly to adventuring.

I cannot imagine they didn't considered those, so i'd like to get some intel about it as well. That's why i also asked about the direness of the situation; if the game could thrive with players choosing to pay for convenience or swag, i think it's better to explore it, Mostly because if we monetize the adventuring experience the rest aspects of the game will be monetized as well. Why not start the change from the other side? Maybe we find we can stop somewhere in the middle.

Elnoth, Ice Queen and Pickley like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.