1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Gold Crowns of the Obsidians

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, May 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

When would you purchase a Game? When you know the Final Wipe has stopped knowing that this is the time all is new and fresh - or would you wait many months more until the "Rush into the Game" is over? - just because it is called now "released".

If a MMO anounces persistance that is the time we gamers have the "alarm sound". Thats when we come.

They even have a Countdown for "Final Wipe" and not for "Release". What sort of funny.
    Seems like the "Final Wipe" day is more important and they wan´t to make awareness for customers that this is the day to "be there"

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  2. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Honestly, for most other MMOs and Steam games I do wait until final release. I only participate in alphas or betas for a few select, special games, by choice. I bet I'm not the only one.

3. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

The other games do a full wipe at release. This will not be the case with SotA.

But i did my arguments. :)

It is only my opinion. some Business Expert may laugh at my concern. Happy to be explained logical i am wrong.

4. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Like I said, you were generalizing about gaming preferences, and I disagree. Wipe status has nothing to do with it for some of us.

Your point relies on an assumption that others game as you do.

Some online gamers do not engage in player housing, care about land rushes, nor worry about scurrying to be the first grand master crafter on a server.

Some just play for the story, exploration, and adventure. Arguably, those are the prime features of the game, and wipe status doesn't create urgency for those.

cartodude, Bodhbh Dearg and Myrcello like this.
  5. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

In the vg media industry, as soon as it's available to general public.

Heck, we released a special issue on SotA in summer of 2014 (it was R9!): https://issuu.com/galazon/docs/m3_sp1-issuu Yes, even back then the editor labeled it "Recensione" (Review). Go figure.

With wipes, you may consider end of wipe = release of game.

The media industry is a meat grinder, even more so after gamergate.

agra, Leostemplar, KuBaTRiZeS and 2 others like this.
  6. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Good arguments. I agree on that.
    The Solo Gamers do not care about the Final Wipe.

7. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Are we playing the same game?
    I thought that housing, dancing, stacking items into the sky are the prime features of the game...

8. Obsidian Apprentice

Obsidian Apprentice Avatar

These sound like a good addition! Thank you for the gift. When I am out I will buy some from the add on store if I cannot find any.

+1

Viking row Lots = yay!

9. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I understand this thread is about the crowns, but I just wanted to address @Myrcello . Chronicles of Elyria is doing the exact same thing, starting persistence before release. They are calling it Exposition, and it's meant to build up the world and economy, EXACTLY like SotA. No one is screaming their heads off complaining about it. In fact, people are excited to be part of it. The only difference is that access to Chronicles after the "Final Wipe" and before release is behind a $120 pay gate.

So no, I don't think gamers are as dense as you make them out to be.

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

When I look at Shroud of the Avatar, in this unfinished state, I see the same Barbie Dream House mechanics and Toon Town social interactions that you do. There's a lot of that going on in the game by players that either truly enjoy that and are not looking for more out of the game, or perhaps don't know what else to do because we haven't had a persistent world to build on. But that is NOT what the pillars of this game are.

The story is very important, even in this unfinished state, to anyone that cares to make it important. It is not fully functional yet, and the tools and mechanics needed to "complete" the story of Episode One are still lacking. But the story is very much alive, available, and growing within this amazing community. Unfortunately, this is not something that you can purchase over the counter in a box just yet. There's no clinical step by step guide that will take you neatly through 40 hours of gameplay designed to immerse the spiritual core of your being - or whatever it is you're waiting for. But the world is taking shape and the players are molding it into something very special. Beyond the garbage dumps in Owl's Head and the canned pvp tournaments is a world where player characters matter and histories are written as well as read.

Your focus on the single player ONLY experience is just as valid and important, but it does run in parallel to a living world where anything can happen. Are we playing the same game? No, we're most certainly not. The game I'm playing is infinitely more compelling and dynamic and can not be truthfully labelled as you describe.

11. Hermann von Salza

Hermann von Salza Avatar

kewl looking game never seen it before.
    double take: Very Nice looking.

Solstar and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  12. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Thing is, the most of the general public has Zero knowledge of the final wipe, its rather internal info, a small amount of press has talked about it, but they arnt advertising it in any way other than the main site, which youd have to even know about the game 1st to find, and ALOT of poeple have no knowledge of this game what so ever.

Time Lord and Myrcello like this.
  13. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

We'll be providing another notice in multiple areas as the date approaches. I wouldn't want anyone to miss it!

14. syxs

syxs Avatar

While this will probably be my last post ever on these forms if I get banned for this because this needs to be said. You point out the flaws in the system and your flaming the issue. You then talk to person and come to understanding of sorts and follow their advice and give constructive feedback. This is a very long post so then he mods delete that post for being a troll on the issue.

So now as someone concerned about the state of this game we have to not only not make the devs mad or point out when they're wrong and incorrect but when we show that they are wrong and incorrect and give detailed explanations as to why and how to make the system better we get called a troll.

The shroud of the avatar dev team needs to stop surrounding itself with yes-men. You said that you would do open development and wanted our feedback. Just because you don't approve of pointing out your flaws in the game design is not flaming. Just because a post is really long and detailed is not trolling.

Arguments in heated discussions happen and they happen because of the passion behind making something successful. To silence and criticize someone's point of view because they don't frame it nicely is counterproductive. Some people have issues expressing and communicating their ideas in a politically correct manner. A mod should not just delete the post that has one bit of inflaming or insulting content in. They should remove the inflaming or insulting content and leave the rest of the post or have the person modify it to remove that section.

The devs also need to step up and admit yes change the system. Not hide this change inside of a new system that some people will not read. Not everyone is reading every single thing that comes in the email about this game at this point in time because it is still in pre-alpha state. Some people are waiting and tell release to see how this game is. And some people don't have time to constantly test a system that is not ready for mainstream usage.

15. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

And I am certain that once the RELEASE date is set, they'll do a countdown to that as well... Kind hard to count down to a date that hasn't been set yet!...

16. Bodhbh Dearg

Bodhbh Dearg Avatar

Arguments and discussions are allowed, but calling names, threatening, any mention of legal action (the latter is something they *have* to remove because of liabilities, etc., BTW) and other non-constructive behavior will be moderated.

I have only ever had 3 posts moderated, and those were moderated because they replied to and (partially) quoted a post that needed to be moderated...
    I have not always agreed with the devs...

17. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

COTO's are available on a vendor in Dragon's Fall for 15K a piece. That's 10k less than most vendors in Owl's Head. Enjoy the deal and take a tour of our beautiful town while your there.

18. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Sidtracking the thread but in July the game starts, the semantics aside it is when players are going to move from that point on and have the place the want to live , and everything they do to train, learn and build are part fo the game from that point on.

Call is whatever you want; persistence, no more wipes, final wipe, . . . . they are all the same thing - the start of game play for each and every player who is here now. It is from that point on that stuff accumulates.

Back to the topic, these crowns are the point at which Port has established themselves as the place to get a start in the game financially. These crowns are (where) something that was supposed to be a very Rare, hard to get, and an item that the server was going to monitor and ensure they stayed rare. I now have more than 1 / a day already in my bank from day one. And I can sell them to other players and even back to the game for gold to get a leg up. I am sorry but that is the plain out right definition of pay to win. And I have this all from day one :-( In all ,y accounts I actually have 2 CotO per day for a year covered, Rare - LMAO.

19. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Yes. Was a little harsh with my countdown argument

Bodhbh Dearg likes this.
  20. foolishwtf

foolishwtf Avatar

New durability changes make it so you end with 0/10 broken items? You literally made golden crowns the ONLY way to repair items now.

Please tell me you plan on changing this.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.