1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Stretch Goals

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufio

Rufio Avatar

thanks for replieng,i would always apretiate more content for the game.
    40+hours is great i wish it was 400+ like skyrim.
    the players that are going to do modding can maybe increase the game.

2. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Again, thats exactly the point. By Skyrim we can mod ourselfs easily and because of this, peoples aswell load up tons of mods. On nexusmods.com are actually 29k mods for skyrim. And you find normaly everything you want or can mod it in. This greatly contributes to the long time playability of the game.

Back many years, i actually got Morrowind as the first Elderscrolls game. When i remember correctly, i got it in some pack and haven't bought it directly. The game itself wasn't the best game. It crashed frequently, it has many bugs and the story was so chaotic, that i never finished it and the models of the characters where so ugly, that the monitor nearly breaked.. But the modding tools where so epic, that i played it all time and many things except the crashing bug where fixed with the mods. But that was something i could life with, because the game was so fun with the modding.
    Doesn't think, it would have become an so epic success without the mod tools.

Oblivion worked way better, was running solid and the story was better so i finished it. I aswell bought the 2 Fallout games and now Skyrim. And i am looking forward for Fallout 4.

Don't think that Bethesda would have such a success story without the mod tools and that Morrowind would have become a side product with not mentionable sellnumbers then.
    The industry sees it. So games who aren't simple put together with some basic engine, ships normaly with an editor. ;)

Mordecai likes this.
  3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

The Elderscrolls series was already a success for Bethesda before Morrowind. Mods did not come until later in the series, and I really doubt that was part of its success. Mods increase the longevity of the product (how long players will player it), but that very rarely equates to much in the way of profits to a company. It might mean a few extra people buy it to play a certain mod, but most people buy the game to play the game. Mods are just the reason they keep playing game after they are done with the main game. When a game is played longer than the main content it can actually cause the company to lose money because you are less likely to be playing new games they create because you are still playing their last one that is 10 years old.

I have played ALL the Elderscrolls games (which are all buggy and unstable in one way or another because its a Bethesda staple) and have never played a single mod with any of them. From standing in line at midnight launches, I think its safe to say that is pretty typical.

Pretty certain you will be able to Mod the single player offline version of SOTA. The question is really how easy that will be and what tools are provided.

4. Rufio

Rufio Avatar

thanks for replieng,the developers i think said in the beginning they are going to let the mod crowd do their thing.
    i just hope the content will keep us busy for a year,but we are in the hands of great developers.

5. timedilation

timedilation Avatar

Thanks for the update Starr.
    I'm totally fine without VR. As you know, oculus rift isn't even widely available for commercial use yet.
    So do what you guys gotta do.

6. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Im also good with out VR. Polish, finetuning and most importantly troughly tought game mechanics (PvP, Economy/Skills), would be the things for me.

TigerKhan likes this.
  7. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

Forget VR! I want a good story and fun gameplay.

8. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Ok, i actually tought to remember, that a dev made a comment about at least the character creator and that they want it very detailed aswell:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...haracter-customization.2551/page-4#post-37424

Played around with the char editor from Second Life aswell and personally i think, its indeed one of the most powerful ones, but maybe a bit overpowered and not intuitionally enough. I personally like the Dragon's Prophet editor most, even when i actually made a mistake, as i tried to create a second female character to my male main for testing around and gave her a nice big round booty. Noticed, that a the upper legs where way to small and not fitting for the body, and created it new. Ok, noticed only after i played some time (after level 20), thx to some big shield, that the upper legs aswell increased the booty size aswell. Ok, now i think i have Miss Booty Queen as second character. XD Ok, at least the outfit i got is able to mask it a bit. ;)
    One of the importance, to include the "New You" salons aswell, to fix possible mistakes. And player are able to change the ava aswell, if they don't like him so well anymore. But think this has been discussed in the same thread i linked already. ^^

Very intresting in Second Life was the ability to add items to different body parts, even scripted ones. This is something, i always miss in the creation kit. Ok, you where able to add different objects to the body, but you weren't able to move it around and to create scripts, effects, etc. in it, what was possible in SL. So indeed, QBall picked an customization system, who where very advanced.
    But i think this part of the editor would be better at home in the mod tools, where it would be nice, if you could add different objects to different body parts. The object can be added to the offline game very easy and you could wear it then ingame. Possible aswell send in to the devs, who could upload the best ones into the online game. In the game itself, it should be only a drag and drop in the different slots and possible aswell could be a miscellaneous slot, where you can put in objects, who aren't worn on the specific predefined places, but on the place, you defined in the mod tools.

For the mod tools itself, i haven't found any official statement for now. Possible there is one, but then i have overseen it. So would be nice to hear something more official about it, how and if it is planned. ;)

9. lanica

lanica Avatar

A basic mod framework/library is what I would like. Something that would give me the ability to submit isolated systems to the SotA developers that wouldn't take a load of their time. Right now any code would have to be manually reviewed and inserted. However, a basic framework/library would be more do-able early than the full set of mod tools for the offline version.

I'm probably the minority here...but oh well :)

Mordecai likes this.
  10. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

What if your character could grow hair/facial hair to such that you would require a barber of some sort depending on what they were called at the times and some players couldl keep the long hair as a sign of maturity.... if it isn't a big setback for devs to do.... just a thought.

smack and Père Fouettard like this.
  11. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

This idea just in time for Movember!

12. smack

smack Avatar

That's a fantastic idea. To keep things simple for now, I'd even settle for a default mustache/beard for everyone and then expand from there and let people decide how their facial hair would look like via a character creation / customization stretch goal for later post-launch.

The timing could be perfect too, as the current ETA for release is Oct 2014.

TigerKhan likes this.
  13. TigerKhan

TigerKhan Avatar

I'm going to the Age of Chivalry renaissance fair here in Vegas tommorow..... I'll keep a look out for some kind of vendor or hint of a barber-style character around if there is one.

14. Pong3d

Pong3d Avatar

Thanks for the update Starr. I would prefer that those parts of the game that have already been hashed out get more refinement then added a new feature like VR.

15. Namodias

Namodias Avatar

Thank you for the update Starr. I for one appreciate being kept in the loop as far as the development process is going.

I for one would prefer solidification of the already planned features and getting this game in our hands before you go worrying about something like occulus support.

Design creep is a treacherous thing to the development of a game and it is wise for you to try to curb it as you guys are doing.

Sir Stile Teckel likes this.
  16. coder1024

coder1024 Avatar

I think VR should be added, even if it happens later down the road. Despite the funding level being reached after the kickstarter, having that as a stretch goal indicates that with that funding level its feasible. It really feels like splitting hairs and/or "spin" to say that it can't be done since the level was hit after the kickstarter.

I understand a schedule delay given that the funding level was reached after planning was done. But I think it should be a matter of when not if.

Also, the Oculus Rift (which is likely the primary target), won't be out as a consumer product I don't think until next year anyway. So there is plenty of time. It could be added after the initial release and by then OR availability won't be an issue.

17. Deus_Irae

Deus_Irae Avatar

Never liked VR much anyway :)

Adiun Tesserande and TigerKhan like this.
  18. Borg

Borg Avatar

19. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

Im suprised this thread has focused so much on VR

What about the mod tools?

What about the New You?

What about the ability to make art works in game?

These were actually things that were asked for during the kickstarter period. These are things that EVERYONE will use rather than VR which will only effect the tiniest minority

20. Borg

Borg Avatar

None of those strecht goals are compromised that I know or am I wrong???

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.