XP LOW Warning message is freaking me out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gideon Thrax, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

If the mobs you are fighting are yellow or orange you are OK if the mobs are green then it is too low.

Fister Magee likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think a good start would be creating a UI that players don't want to turn off (or mod), though.

Added my feedback on how they can make it better here --
    If you *must* have a Low XP icon, do it like this

Valion, Gix and Metlore like this.
  3. tzindal

tzindal Avatar

personally I want I play these games to relax and while I don't mind a challenge I shouldn't have to worry about some backend number being High or low. If I'm fighting challenging mobs My experience should increase, if I'm toy with killing mobs beneath my level, my experience should slowly fade. While questing should help you get experience faster, we should be able to maintain a good rate of advancement just fighting tough mobs.

Nhili Dragon and Gix like this.
  4. tzindal

tzindal Avatar

One other thing Instead of meaningless Icon. If you want to babysit us NEWBs, display the appropriate pooled xp number and an up or down arrow so that we might be able to figure out that we're screwing up.

5. Metlore

Metlore Avatar

I also don't like the targeting reticle that appears on friendlies when you double click them. I think it's obvious who I'm focused on when I click them due to the animations and camera. Is there a way to turn this friendly reticle off? It really kills the immersion for me. I understand its purpose on enemies but not on friendlies.

6. Gadfrey Zukes

Gadfrey Zukes Avatar

you can fade the reticle to invisible with the slider under "settings-video". it's much better withou it at all imo

Forseti likes this.
  7. Metlore

Metlore Avatar

I like it most of the time during combat, but the giant glaring target on every vendor and npc in the game drives me crazy. Can certain aspects be made toggle-able?@DarkStarr

Last edited: Aug 27, 2016
  8. Ogarious

Ogarious Avatar

I don't see this as handholding though, I see this as a feature to help the player. Give it a toggle and lets call it a day. The last hardcore MMO to come out was Wizardry online. With a show of hands how many of you have HEARD of Wizardry Online, how many of you have PLAYED Wizardry Online, wait. You can't now, can you. Cause it closed down, the game lasted around 2 years (Not inluding beta.)

While the people making Shroud need to think outside of the box, we dont need another WoW, EQ, Neverwinter, BDO, or any other clone. Shroud needs to be it's own game. But Shroud also need to appeal to the masses so that it can get enough players in it to become a self sustaining product. Or you people that have put in thousands of dollars into the game will find yourself without a MMO in a few years. Just saying.

9. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I guess we will see. I think ports problem is they are trying to appeal to everyone and not pleasing anyone. Pick a direction and go with it.

Numa and Nhili Dragon like this.
  10. redfish

redfish Avatar

I think one problems IMO is that the answer to players is always more options. But if users are asking for options to turn off parts of your UI, you know you made a bad UI.

There are so many aspects of the UI right now where instead of going back and redesigning something to fix the real problem, they just work around it by creating an option. So for example, we now have the "Hide Equipped Tools" option in the inventory, which ignores the bad UI design around equipping tools.

Nhili Dragon, Gix and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Ravicus Domdred,

And I would say the same thing about not just the UI but the bigger game design from a player's perspective, like with some of the problems they're dealing with in regards to mode switching. This is called UX, or User Experience. More options are not always better.

Nhili Dragon and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  12. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

Id like the XP Bar back - let me manage my pools that way please :)

Numa and Nhili Dragon like this.
  13. tzindal

tzindal Avatar

advancement shouldn't be about managing an xp pool but adventuring and the story line

14. Zmey

Zmey Avatar

As a newbie I guess I should be concerned about this.
    But I don't even know what XP is. (I thought it was an old Windows operating system) LOL
    My XP goes from zero to 75 and back to zero and I never know why.

I can go into and easy area and harvest tons of stuff and check my XP and it will show 45 where is had 12 when I entered.
    Then when I go out to Novia and check it again it will be 15 or zero.

I decided to not worry about it since it distracts me from having fun.
    FWIW.

Nhili Dragon, Fauxpas and Saosis like this.
  15. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

No argument. You are either in areas to low to gain enough XP, or the skill selections are draining it as fast as you can make it.

majoria70, Ravenclaw and Duke Avery like this.
  16. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

d
    I agree and I had thought a sand box game and did not have to do quests if I did not want to. Some of us do not play 7/24 and the exp pool is rather off putting. I like games that do not tie me to playing certain ways. Why force certain play styles ? I loved UO and in fact still play 2nd age as that is the era IMO, that was the best. There will never be another UO as it was unique ! :rolleyes:

17. Nhili Dragon

Nhili Dragon Avatar

Please do this !!

18. Gix

Gix Avatar

From what I can tell, the "low XP" warning disappears when your pool is over 2k. Initially, I thought this was excessive but, when I finally reached that high, I noticed something: all of your skills level up FASTER beyond that point. The higher your XP pool, the more XP your skill gets per use.

Meaning that, if you start at zero and you're struggling to kill a mob. If you end up killing it and gain, say, 100 points. Your skills won't progress as fast as if you had over 2k XP. Not because you reached zero again and have to find another mob, but because you have more to give per skill per use.

Your skills are rationing your XP pool. There's probably a minimal cap and a maximum cap but the lower the pool, the smaller dose the skills take, the slower they level up.

In a matter of minutes, I was able to gain 12 levels in Silent Movement; something that took me days (on and off, mind you) to achieve regardless of the fact that a lower levels should theoretically level up faster. Sure, the skills may take less XP to level up, but with a smaller pool, they take less XP per use so it takes just about the same amount of time to get there.

Meaning you'll still be struggling for the next mob.

This is the kind of attitude that I find stunts progress.

19. Rilman

Rilman Avatar

I'm killing yellow and orange mobs and am finding it very difficult to earn enough XP to break even (polearm and magic). I die often too because of the clumps of archers and mages that all pull at once, which hurts the pool even more.

My archer on my second account is like playing easy mode, hasn't died yet.

Nhili Dragon and 3dmark like this.
  20. Julian Baskerville

Julian Baskerville Avatar

Making XP is so easy in this game...and the color of ANY mob has absolutly nothing to do with it.

Hit K go to your skills.
    Close EVERY Skill that costs xp.
    Kill Mobs in whatever color you want, the xp will go and stay in the pool. of course you get more xp for orange or red...but green works also and goes fast.
    Do that until your pool reads 30k or more...dependent on how much you want.
    open 1 skill and see it raise fast to the level you want.

This is how sota wants you to play the game imho...you spend 3 days killing stuff...then you have 1 day to raise skills.
    At the end...its only dependent on how many hours you put into SotA...

* to really raise your xp payout go to single player online mode and all mobs are there for you alone.
    ** make sure to loot everything to keep the spawn time short, destroy stuff with low durability in your equipment to keep your weight low.
    *** do not raise a skill above 75 since the costs for raising them compared to any benefit is getting really smal at that level.

---

Me? I'm doing it in a pass.

I go in...have all skills closed, and I kill stuff and loot/harvest everything, and I stay there until I get maybe 20k or more xp. All that with my "grind plate equipment".

Then I go back to town, put on the equipment I need and the ingredients I think I could need, then I get back out and kill stuff with maybe 1 or 2 skills open. I get a passive skill from 0-40 in maybe 2 days of casual after work gaming. Acive skills like spells take maybe 3 days to get to 40 depending on the spell and ist casting time and fizzle chance.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
    Fauxpas likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.