XP LOW Warning message is freaking me out

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gideon Thrax, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

I like having the XP indicator there...anytime I want to see the current XP count I just need to move the mouse over it and I see it, without having to open another window as before. XP indicator does not need to be changed, fine as is.

Mischievous Dragon likes this.
  2. Garth of Izar

Garth of Izar Avatar

I don't care what they do as long as they put in a giant warning box that says:

"You missed the thing with the stuff!" as you pass quest points.

Kambrius likes this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

"Hey, you were just going to go home to stash your loot and log off, not sit there and water your plants, craft some ****, wander over to your neighbors house or organize your trunk and chest collection."

Spoon and Saosis like this.
  4. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

I still remain frustrated that so very many online games still do not allow you to toggle on or off any of the bright ideas developers have about what to stick on your screen.

If they think it's helpful, then by all means put it in but let ME decide if I find it helpful or annoying on my screen for the way I play the game.

5. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

Again, what is the minimum before it shows? I was playing and didn't see it once. I have low xp often, and was down to 9000 at one point, which to me, would maybe be an acceptable time to harass my senses with a huge square button in my face telling me low xp. So, the idea sounds horrible, the displaying of this icon, but I have yet not seen it. I like the idea of mouse over to see how much you got left, but again, I did not see this benefit, because I did not see this icon. Perhaps a toggle is needed so that I can enable the damn thing manually. But in any case, that's my story so far.

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  6. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

@DarkStarr If this has to be part of the game experience, then you simply have to bring back an in-game Adventurer Level value as well (viewing it in the log, or through a third-party utility is a little on the wtf side now). Adventurer level is clearly more important than running out of XP Pool because that is tied directly to your ability to deal with different tiers of mobs and bosses, and harvesting XP.

Bring back Adventurer Level! Bring back the stats screen in fact, and why not ADD quest markers? :p I'm being serious now. This low XP icon is a worse gaming experience than my other requests, in all honesty.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Nhili Dragon and Bluefire like this.
  7. Gix

Gix Avatar

Here's my opinion on the matter: if you have a "want" to check your current XP count, that means that something's wrong with the "RPG" you're playing.

Also, if it's absolutely necessary to have it displayed, why couldn't it be a number instead of a giant YELLOW warning glyph making you mouse-over it to satisfy your "wants".

"fine as it is"? hardly.

8. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

...it's jacking with my entire game experience. I don't like it.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
    Valion and Nhili Dragon like this.
  9. Godra

Godra Avatar

Hey, if my adventure level is 30, what skull area should I be in to raise my Low XP so I can get rid of this stupid button on my screen?

Fister Magee likes this.
  10. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I would be great of mouse-overing would tell us something helpful like that! How about it Devs?

Nhili Dragon likes this.
  11. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

I am blown away by the level of anxiety this thing is causing. I think I saw it once last night farming when I dipped below 2k briefly. I guess I usually have a pretty good optimum farm plan where I try to at least always gain a little bit over a run and yes, monitor by repeated 'k" presses. I guess for the love of god please give it a toggle. In my opinion it's good for new players to learn the concept of pooled experience (I wish I had it when I first started playing the game), and it's a decent alert for experienced players that thier killing routine needs to change if they haven't pressed "k" in a while. But yeah let the plauyers own their gui. Which I think is the ultimate plan according to what I heard on the telethon.

12. Gix

Gix Avatar

@Hunter Rose, I've always played with around 300 points (or less) of XP. Since the patch, I ALWAYS see the damn thing. It's one thing to add a toggle, but I'm arguing that if you have to have stupid crap like this, then that means that the design is flawed.

No amount of text on a "hints" window is going to make something intuitive in any way. It either already is (and you point it out to make sure the players get it), or it isn't. The whole concept of putting a tutorial in a video game is flat out WRONG. It means that, as a designer, you took the easy way out.

The best way to teach the players how to play a game is to put them in an environment where they're allowed to make mistakes and aren't completely blocked off from having fun.

Losing points while in combat should not be a thing that players see. EVER. If the system has to remain the way it is, then it cannot possibly showcase these numbers without expecting a backlash from the player-base.

Action hack and slash games, like the original Diablo game, don't even do stupid crap like this. How is this okay in a "return to form" role-playing game?

I'm hoping that this is just a temporary thing.

Nhili Dragon, Fauxpas and Metlore like this.
  13. Hunter Rose

Hunter Rose Avatar

Ok I see your point @Gix, it encourages monitoring numbers rather than playing the game. Hardly an immersive RP experience if after every combat you are compelled to check a number to make sure everything is working efficiently. I don't have a whole lot of time to play to the game on a weekly (can't even daily) so I do want to make sure the time I spend I'm optimumly spending that time with the build, which is what I love about these games and UO/SotA more than 'just' about everything else. Admittedly, watching numbers does that. If the numbers weren't there, I'd probably figure it out on a mob by mob level as I've done in other games - no big deal. I was reacting obviously with my own experience, given I try to maintain a large pool, seeing it once a session didn't bother me and the one time I saw it last night simply alerted me to move to another location rather than grinding out the remaining hour I had "less optimumly". But yes it would annoy the hell out of me if it was always on.

14. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I personally don't mind it - but there should be a way to dismiss it or opt out of it entirely.

Hazard likes this.
  15. Metlore

Metlore Avatar

I have to agree, @DarkStarr. This really needs to go as there is already a very easy way to check your xp pool and this is simply an eye sore. Other displays at least reference in game things such as encumbrance and physical items. I do see it could have merit if you're only trying to maintain skill levels and eating too much xp, but still.

Stahlknecht likes this.
  16. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We are going to allow you to disable it or make it fade out quickly or both

17. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I vote disable. While your at it, please allow me to disable sharpening and fade out the main reticle separate from the target reticle.

Gadfrey Zukes and Tahru like this.
  18. Metlore

Metlore Avatar

You guys are awesome.

19. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

I am voting against this button too. Apparently my casual style of having killed about 12 things and casting light balls about every 3 minutes has destroyed my XP pool. I don't care... let me hide the thing.

20. Fauxpas

Fauxpas Avatar

so much in this game is about immersion... we got npcs going to sleep having us to stand around and wait for them to get up again to sell the tons of crap weapons we get from whatever mob. i dont necessarily disagree with that... but mixing it up with something telling me im not efficient like a fitness app on your smartphone ... those dont go together well imo.

first or third option.

Nhili Dragon and Saosis like this.
  21. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

No matter how much I fight and kill, my XP is always low and so this is always on. Probably not so useful like this. I like the idea of it warning me that I'm getting low but not if I'm always low. :rolleyes:

Nhili Dragon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.