6-Month Demo!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jouten, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

We know what they think from the IGN comments. It's a tough crowd :)

Lum mentioned in chat that he wished that hadn't been released like that, maybe some internal screening beforehand would have been nice. It is what it is; it's up to us to move forward.

This is still a great opportunity to provide input and help direct changes. That's why we have all invested in a game that is still 11 months out! We asked for this :)

Lord_Toast and Dame Lori like this.
  2. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

From the looks of it, the deck consisted ONLY of 3 skills so multiple duplicates are bound to show up (just my guess, mind you!)

3. Lained

Lained Avatar

Ever since the first crafting demo I've wondered if interacting with the crafting tables could be more direct by placing the tools and resources on it rather than the cut out with its craft and close buttons that subtract from the immersion. The stations could be virtualised so you only see items that you've placed on them thereby preventing other players interacting with your progress. The buttons could then be removed as the close would not be required and crafting could be achieved with a double click of the table itself.

4. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

Apologies for all of the posts in a row...

Things that I did like:

1. conversation was a hoot, can't wait to explore and see what characters say and how they react to my comments.
    2. houses are great, maybe a bit over-focused on them but it's what's done at this point, so show it off
    3. decorating is very cool and exciting, this is why I want to own a house in-game
    4. loved the idea of secret walls, makes me want to explore all the more, though I hope I don't look too dumb rubbing up against all the walls...
    5. combat was clunky, but I LOVED not seeing the MOBs hit points; hopefully additional damage clues will be added as we move forward
    6. liked that fireball *seemed* to have a choice of target based or area based
    7. the environment (forest esp) looked great and I can see myself exploring just to exlore

rild, skinned, Kilhwch and 1 other person like this.
  5. NirAntae

NirAntae Avatar

With that in mind, I think it looks like a potentially good start. I liked that you don't seem to really need any of the things in the hotbar to be effective in combat; he only used them for a sort of 'shock and awe' beginning, then just swung his sword without any further bothering with the cards. If it is more of a 'special effect' instead of 'base combat', it bothers me much less. However, the flip side of that, is it looks like the mages will have to depend much more heavily on the cards than a melee fighter, which I like less. The bad, however... I agree that it moves much too fast. Well, really, it's more the nature of the movement below the main screen and it's very distracting. Instead of a (shuffle, pause, shuffle, pause) as the motion seems to go with, I think a (card flip, small pause, card flip, small pause), each taking roughly the same amount of time, would be more visually regular and less distracting. Intead of ^^^^^.......^^^^^.......^^^^^ which catches the eye every time it changes, go more for something like an algorithm wave ^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v Your eye will soon just phase out the motion if it is steady.

Sir Frank likes this.
  6. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

I would assume that the combat skills will show up as cards eventually, so they will work the same (for special skill moves) as the spells. Just not done or ready at this point.

7. Hartsblade

Hartsblade Avatar

Looking good! Looking forward to taking the more polished vesion of combat for a spin.

The one thing that did seem to stand out in th evideo was some of the scale seemed off. I'm not sure if the Avatar looked too small or if some objects looked too big. The more I look at it I'm leaning towards the Avatar being out of scale with the suroundings.

Other then that, it is a great 6 months peek into the direction of the game. Hopefully everyone will remember that this is just the beginning of developement, especially the combat, and view the demo accordingly.

Lord_Toast and Seir like this.
  8. Knoxinn

Knoxinn Avatar

Just a few random thoughts:

I saw horses in the game. It will be sad every time walking past one and not being able to ride it.

The "Throne of Bones" just made my Xmas list.

What caught my eye was how the dragon spit a fireball at the warrior and the warrior moved out of the way. Or "dodged" out of the way. I'm now wondering how agile one must be in combat. Will one need to seriously dodge, duck, dip, dive, and dodge in out and around one's opponent? And can one "dodge" spells and arrows?

Daggerithian and rild like this.
  9. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

The only thing I wonder is why this wasn't released to the community first? Does IGN pay for the privilege?

BillRoy, Isycle, Isaiah and 3 others like this.
  10. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Have to drop in on this! I remember RG saying that he wants everything in the world to be interactable, is it still possible that we could ride in EP1 - coz i cant see horses as domestic animals for meat or plowing fields ;)

licemeat and Lord_Toast like this.
  11. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Yeah could have been screened trought Dev+ and then mayby change few things or add more/different explanations (like yelling "combat is placeholder early prealpha, dont freak out" :D )

Joviex likes this.
  12. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

The whole thing reminds me of a really boring reaction game where you have to push the button as soon as it lights up.

Why why why why why after the success of UO and the anticipation of every PvPer who still plays UO have we been so very shafted by such a rediculous combat system..........I feel like im insulting my own inteligence by even calling it combat.

I was posting the 3 month demo video to friends and guild players who I know would probably start playing this game as the general feel is close what they are used to and what they expect from playing UO for past 15 years.....................I cant do it anymore because of the card system...its just embarassing!

13. Lord_Toast

Lord_Toast Avatar

My constructive criticism on how the demo was released:....They should have posted it here first, either in the Founders Developer Blog or in the Update section. I have been invested in this game since the beginning. I was a bit taken back to discover a link to IGN in the chat area. It is the 6 month demo! And the link was in the chat area before I found it anywhere else.

14. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I don't see a problem, really. Combat isn't complete, but as a placeholder the hotbutton bar is fine. Richard NEVER mentions the icons, nor couldyou really tell when they were used (i.e., to cast Lightning), so I doubt anyone outside of the community will even realize why they are flashing. Personally, I would have suppressed that part of the UI for the demo, but its not make-or-break.

For where we are sitting, this is awesome! At least there is something a little more complete than the 3-month demo to point interested parties to. Good job, guys!

rild and Vyrinor like this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Also, yay the XP bar is gone!

rild and lizardchunk like this.
  16. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

So, I'm the worst PvPer that I know...can you please enlighten me as to why this mucks things up? In my (not good at PvP) mind, this tosses in a bit of randomness (for both/all players fighting), so that there is no boring formula or pattern that you follow fight after fight?

I assume you approach fighting a guy in full plate armor different than a mage in cloth? You'll do the same by having 2 (or more) different decks of skills to pull from.

I'm honestly asking why this is so bad.

17. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Focus on them is likely because of the sheer amount of work done on them. Also, myself and others have been critical of the lack of detail on the Addon store for the houses, and the walkthroughs are great ways to see how much room they are and what they look at from multiple angles.

I really hope they snip those parts out and stick them on the webpage.
    Indeed, I think it's very slick. I'm going to have to do a lot of exploring and achieving if I want to fill up all my rooms.

Not totally impressed by them, but I think it was the lack of effects for walking through the wall. Seemed weird. Either move the wall, or make it tinkle or something if it's magic.
    Yes, it looks brilliant. I hope the non-POI hexes are as good as the manually designed ones.

rild likes this.
  18. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

Honestly if you don't PvP much you probably wont get it, and I wont know where to start. I'm actually just going to re-post what i've stated in another forum:

"Really......I don't want a 'deck', I would actually like a spellbook........A spellbook with lots of spells that I can cast whatever I want when the feeling takes me. I actually want to have 60+ macros on my keyboard (not like crappy wow or gw)....in fact I want one for every key combo I can find. Yay me the mighty macro king!

What I don't want is a random number generator dictating how I play and I certainly dont want crap floating in and out of my screen. I want a fast flowing slick combat system, I want to run around my screen with other players trying to kill me, I want my control my character like I am it's God.........I decide not bloody cards, runes, plates or whatever the hell people want to call them.

“Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do.”
    Luke 23:34"​

19. Sir Seir

Sir Seir Avatar

So is this a personal thing or a PvP thing? I agree that I have much to learn/understand about good PvP and don't expect you to teach me. Just want to understand.

I guess in my mind, when you PvP you have a series of patterns that you follow. Patterns to me indicate boring (personal preference, doesn't mean they are boring to everyone).

I still want to see how decks are switched or added to each other but I still like the idea (maybe jaded from playing Hearthstone beta??)

20. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Trying to divert attention from PvP yet again...:rolleyes:

Did anyone see that the teaser "tesla" tower was in there... it's still in from the very first demo! Anyway, I hope it has some sweet uses. Any teasers from the devs? Pretty please? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.