New sub Forum for 'complaints and concerns' ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pepsy, Oct 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pepsy

Pepsy Avatar

Just so those of us who enjoy the game and progress don't have to be bombarded by the constant post's of a small group of people that constantly kick dead horse topics, feeding the fire and fueling some other disgruntled players giving them a new thread to vent in every single day in the general forums...

Is this too much to ask for? Can we just give them a place to hang out and be negative all the time? I would really appreciate it. Can I get some support here?

2. Vagabond Sam

Vagabond Sam Avatar

People providing critique are after the same thing.

I'd argue that getting better feedback and communication from the developers as it relates to critique of game direction is a better solution then creating a sub forum and encouraging an echo chamber.

Early Access should mean the discussion of weaknesses and challenges that face the game should be central in the official forums.

Doesn't stop you from enjoying the game.

I'm pretty critical overall of the deviations and directions being taken in the game but still play and find some things to enjoy.

The last thing I want to see by Portalarium though is more movement in the direction of marginalizing feedback.

3. zeme

zeme Avatar

Let players enjoy the game the way they want to enjoy the game. Some like sipping on their morning coffee and inserting a fresh dose of raunch and pessimism and doubt even though Richard Garriot has been to space for 30 million. Like let's be real in 20 million more kickstarted this game will be in space too.

Olthadir likes this.
  4. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Must...resist...writing...negative...reply...just...for...fun...resist...resist...can't hold it...

Can't a day go by without everyone being negative about negativity? What do you cool aid people want? Huh? Everyone being happy all the time? No way, that would be the road to utter and complete disaster.
    :p:eek:

Ah, that is better. Now with that out of the way I'd vote no to a negative only sub forum since that feeds on itself. Better if we mix because sometimes the best ideas comes from the negative side and sometimes people think something doesn't work which has been fixed.
    But that could just be me.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I really don't think moving people out of a discussion is the way to have a discussion. I have been here for almost 4 years now and have seen some really heated and uncomfortable feeling discussions happen, but in the long run when allowed to talk it out and get to the bottom of the concerns it has been what needed to happen. Everyone communicates differently and we don't always hear the bottom line in what someone is saying until it is fleshed out, then it all makes sense when that happens. That's why I hate to run away from a conversation and try to take it as a challenge to really hear what someone is saying and not what I am making it mean in my mind. So perhaps a little deep for late at night, but just a thought that came up for me. ;)

Also if I were to try to give just rule of thumb, I would advise but of course being human, we all have our buttons that get pushed for one thing or another, depending on life experiences, ;) but I would say as advice, add a little or lot of constructive feedback and examples to your complaining. It forwards the conversation to more of a degree than a simple complaint. Another, just a thought. Night night all ;)

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  6. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

No.
    Let me tell you why: what is your dead horse kicking is somebody else valid complain or idea or suggestion or request.
    Who can judge who is right?
    Sure there are obvious examples that might annoy you (or me) but moderating them into something you seem to see as a trashcan for 'invalid concerns' isn't the solution.
    Beside the topics would pop up again here anyway ;-)
    The only solution is either:
    - deal with it
    Or
    - don't read them

7. Canterbury

Canterbury Avatar

Moving threads would certainly enable a sense of denial; I'm not sure it would do much more than that.

I mean, is denial that other people aren't the same a good state of mind to be in? I'd argue it's not.

Kaisa and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  8. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

As much as some people do exactly what you describe, it is actually usually valuable (i know it doesn't seem like it) to hear from people that are not happy. This project makes an attempt to keep an assortment of play-styles and demographics happy on a scale that i don't think i have ever seen before. What this means is that no matter what direction any part of development takes, there will be at least one of those groups not happy about it. What is good for PVP is rarely good for PVE for example, when time and money gets spent on multiplayer... the people waiting for single player are unhappy and vice versa. We do not all need to agree on everything to have healthy discussion, when people take things too far they get moderated.

docdoom77, Leelu, Kaisa and 7 others like this.
  9. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

That's called Feedback. We have a Feedback forum. The problem isn't in the content of feedback but the way it is expressed, and we have here both good and bad expressed feedback (either negative or positive).

Dismissing well argumented positive feedback with doom is as bad as dismissing well argumented negative feedback with enthusiasm.

10. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

i like your style

Leelu likes this.
  11. Toadster

Toadster Avatar

Maybe just a few extra signs that read, Don't Feed the Trolls. And everyone tries to keep a constructive on topic discussion going?

Leelu and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  12. Pepsy

Pepsy Avatar

There is a flood of nonconstructive, and perspective based arguments being created daily with the same 12 people who play the game 20 hours a day coming in with the same 'Copy Paste' comments. 1 out of 10 posts give any insight of how to fix the problem, and is anything more than a blatant criticism of someone else's work.

There is a drastic difference between constructive criticism and simply trying to hurt the game/community/developers because it has not gone in the direction you like, or is not progressing at a speed which you approve of. Losing 10 people because they can no longer vent their frustrations on the gen forums is pennies to the amount of people we lose because they check the gen forums and see nothing but complaints. It's not some large group of people spamming the gen forums with complaint threads, it is often the same dozen attention seeking players, some of which may even have good intentions.

The Wizards First Rule. The best of intentions can have the worst results.

Just quietly move all post's regarding the status of the game to R34 feedback, it's where the devs spend most of their time anyways.

13. The Hendoman

The Hendoman Avatar

I like the idea. policing it would be a chore. @zeme, Funny, I thought a few weeks ago that this was all going to be a scam and that Portalarium was going to turn into a secretly funded spaceship and blast the entire staff (and conveniently gathered newspeople and one raffle ticket winner) into space for publicity.

THE HENDOMAN

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  14. Sir Gamy

Sir Gamy Avatar

in a public forum, it is normal division of opinion, wanting in a public place is eliminated a type of thinking, I think something very radical. I think that this type of action is much worse than a hundredfold say bad about the game. I do not think you get that list. Better try this type of action in a private forum, you will be more successful and so who in your opinion should not feel attacked publicly.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  15. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

This thread is bad and the OP should feel bad.

Vallo, docdoom77, Kaisa and 2 others like this.
  16. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

[​IMG]

The reason i am so negative and full of rage...... because i truly am a FAN and feel like they are totally of course....

You know what is worse then "negative Feedbackers"

If no one gives you any feedback at all anymore

17. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

First we need a rants subsection. Second the people that can't stop posting repeat topics all over the place need to be segregated into it, revoking their privileges to post anywhere else until they learn to abide by the code of conduct. [Edit] Third, guest viewers should not be able to see the rants subsection. [/e]

The problem is that any time moderators punish these people they get butthurt and come back ten times harder like depgames (RIP) did. So by segregating them into the rants section they can vent out all of that foulness without newcomers getting the wrong impression about the community, and eventually it becomes clear when they're ready to join the rest of us in being able to post wherever once they cool off.

It's less work for the mods, better for the game, and a slap on the wrist compared to the only other options like temp ban or perma ban where you can't even read the forums anymore. Lots of other forums do it, so you can expect more newcomers like the OP to be like wtf why isn't this done already. Games not even released yet so it's unbelievable that people are allowed to be as emotional as they are given that everyone needs to sign off that they understand the game's unfinished to even be able to play it in the first place.

Pepsy likes this.
  18. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

There is a ignore function your should try.

19. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

here's some:

change the spelling error in your sig if you want people to respect your opinions

20. Snikorts

Snikorts Avatar

Just try to be tolerant and ignore topics you hate.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.