Why It's Good To Be A Victim

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Zifnab Strongarm, Dec 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

You know, Strider, with passion like that, you'd make a pretty good KGB Knight. A majority of us are people who initially got totally pissed off after the first attack from another player.

We never, never attack an innocent, but we never, never allow a criminal to escape if at all possible. We fight them, so they do not victimize others.

2. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I've died so many times in UO it won't even affect me. It might even be fun.

blaquerogue and TemplarAssassin like this.
  3. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

I'm all for choice, I'm just asking for a mode where I can be the victim.
    Seems others don't take to kindly to that.

4. Owain

Owain Avatar

What about OPO Open PvP doesn't fill the bill in that respect?

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

you have that choice as it stands now, anyone can flag themselves be it a crafter, foreger, or pvp'r. anyone who wishes can go into that mode.

Time Lord and Owain like this.
  6. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Dang it Owain you beat me again!!

Time Lord and Owain like this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am heavy into martial arts, have been for years. One of the first things I look for when I choose a new dojo is the chest thumping "alpha" type environments. If it's there, I move on. The place I am looking for is the dojo that brings out the need for respecting someone that will allow you to punch them in the face, or slap a choke on them till they tap.

It's all about the enjoyment of the art. PvP is fun, there is a chess game going on, tactics and foresight. When it's about looking for a victim (victim being the unwilling), it's time to move on.

8. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

We don't have a PVP system yet that I know of.
    For all I know it will be about guild wars or something and there will not even be a PK in the game.

9. Owain

Owain Avatar

You don't know that we don't have a PvP system. I choose to be an optimist. I speak of OPO Open PvP/Full Loot as if it were a done deal, and argue the merits of that system. If you act like it's something that will never exist, you may get your wish.

Be a Happy Warrior, and embrace what you want. OPO Open PvP/Full Loot, baby!

jondavis likes this.
  10. Luxor35

Luxor35 Avatar

What makes it fun to be a victim is because you know you have to stay alert, and be aware of your surroundings. otherwise you can and will be killed. This should becomes more exciting when you are harvesting, and the more you are holding of value, the more risk you are taking, the more the reward should be. Have to make harvesting worth the risk. But if you can harvest without any fear, then it just becomes a boring waste of time.

But there should be places where you can feel safe, your home, towns, protected/guarded dungeons. How can this work, but the use of town guards, and home security devices that can be crafted.

I think that you should also be able to hire a guard to accompany you when you go into the wild, that could fend off attackers. But, this should be at a costs. If you want to be safe you have to pay for it.

Risk/Reward trade offs is what keeps these games fun. But need to make sure that the balance is right. There should be game mechanics that can give an attacked player an overwhelming advantage, but not complete safety is they are afk, or a complete idiot.

11. Silent Strider

Silent Strider Avatar

We don't have the PvP system described, but we have the intent. And the intent is for players that are in OPO mode and opt into the PvP to feel as if they were playing an open PvP game, able to attack everyone they see if they so desire, which would be achieved by making PvP players only see other PvP players whenever in any place where PvP is possible.

As for the specific mechanics, we will have to wait until the devs are comfortable in releasing what they have.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Like Owain Said - OPO Open PvP/Full Loot, baby!

13. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

Then you should have fun playing the victim! Enjoy :)

Time Lord likes this.
  14. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Now I just need some traps to prevent my things from getting stolen. :D

Sir Avorin Swftslay likes this.
  15. Luxor35

Luxor35 Avatar

Another solution would be to allow the victim the ability to track and haunt as a ghost. With skills to seek revenge on the attacker... Take the soul of the animals or monsters, and revenge.

16. Zifnab Strongarm

Zifnab Strongarm Avatar

^^ this guy gets it.

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  17. AndiZ275

AndiZ275 Avatar

Hm, as much as I see it (according to the sparse reports we have), everyone can become a victim in SotA, when he wants it (just join a PvP guild or never unflag yourself from PvP). But forcing someone into becoming a victim and telling him how much fun it is to be victimized? No, just no...

BTW. I don't play games out of or for the hate, but for fun. That's why I'd never play LoL or CoD over the internet, because there are so much players, who I never want to meet in real life . And I don't want to see other players in this game, that want to live out their anger and frustration on my and other peoples cost...

So, Selective Multiplayer Forward! :p

18. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

It's not about being foxes and deers.
    It's all about playing fox vs deer in a game.
    But if you associate urself with deer irl, well, I feel sorry for you.

I, being a fox, had never had any problem with being a deer sometimes. There always were people in UO better than me - at PvP, at stealing, at IDOCs, at looting, at PvEing, at scamming.

It's important to understand that if you people want a RG's MMO to be just a huge sandbox trammel, in the end you all become deer, victims to your own isolation.
    I suppose most of you advocating trammel style gameplay have never really tried an open pvp environment.
    Not the kind of WoW but the kind of what UO offered back in the day.

It was not just chaotic free-for-all with hundreds of reds roaming the fields and reskilling everybody in sight.
    This kind of reds was actually a rare sight back in the day because they had to be well prepared for when the POLICE arrives and kicks their asses.

Open PvP environment was much more than this.
    You got your gankers, thieves, scammers. You got looters. You got blue guys who could PvE with you for hours then try to kill you for that vanq halberd that you looted from an ophidian's corpse.

I don't know guys, maybe you imagine an open PvP world as a giant pit full of disgusting naked bloodied bodies clawing at each other, biting, kicking (what a hellish vision) but it was nowhere near this.

I believe the biggest problem of those who want a trammel game is that they see themselves as deer. They are probably lonely people taught by WoW that one can play MMOs alone. But in games like UO you can cooperate. You can make friends. You can PvE in herds. Hell you can even make an agreement with many PKs so that instead of killing you they just take a part of your gold and leave you alone.

Open PvP environment in a massively immersive game like UO was (and like SotA I hope will be) opens a ton of exciting possibilities for roleplaying and for ordinary gameplay (for those who don't want to be bothered with RP).

In WoW-like games PvP turns into massacre because, well, the game is built that way. WoW was not immersive.

But in the Ultimate RPG it will all be different.

What's wrong with people sometimes killing you or stealing your loot? It's a tiny price to pay for the billions of other great things and experiences an open PvP environment has to offer.

I have so much great memories from Ultima Online. A few horrible too.
    And there are non amongst them about me being killed/looted.

I know my message is rough, it needs alot of editing but oh well, I've got a hangover so whatever.

19. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Losing does not make you a victim.

blaquerogue and TemplarAssassin like this.
  20. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Epic video.
    If someone could add some UO chat above their heads it coulb be hilarious.
    "lol no macros"
    "go guys"
    "lol im prolly gona die"
    "wtf guys go go omg theres only 4 of them"
    "lag"

jondavis likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.