1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

SotAMap Acquisition

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

2. Jimmy Cliff

Jimmy Cliff Avatar

Thank you for addressing the Map. One feature I would like to see is population size added to the towns, to get a better feel if I am heading to a ghost town or a metropolis.

3. Alarion

Alarion Avatar

Seems to me that skipping a town that may seem to have no one it, one may miss some cool things about that town or vendors. I know the small town I live in, if folks are home they are crafting and unavailable. Personally I'd have no interest in it.

Just my opinion.

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Really? I trust their decision making. I gave it along with my pledge and continued support.
    That's a great idea, altho town population is not necessarily a great determination of good vendors inside. Perhaps something about active vendors in the town. ;) For example Wizards Rest is Crossroads Village Size and has a few vendors to visit but it is not a huge market place like some players owned towns have set up, but we do try ;). Some players are not active at the moment waiting for game release and updates they want so some aren't working their vendors as much atm. Some towns may have unique vendors as much as the game allows so far that is. Unique vendors might be for example ones that sell instruments and sheet music or one that sells clothes and dyes, or one that sells particular armor, one that sells food only etc. That is the problem with not going into towns but true it would be nice to know before loading into a scene if there are active vendors. This is where a community bulletin board in NPC towns would help or a bulletin board on the map for the town listing vendors . Like it could say for Wizards Rest: Music Vendor, Scrolls and potions Vendor, Pledge Item vendor, Misc Vendors 1 and 2, etc. ;).

Jakub White and Numa like this.
  5. misterrich

misterrich Avatar

Awesome! Now time to create recall runes and marking!

Sara Dreygon likes this.
  6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This will very likely never happen.

7. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

This is THE BESTEST news! Great decision and Jakob deserves to be rewarded for his work. Thank you guys!

8. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

We already have that, it's called your friends list. RIP regional economies.

Alleine Dragonfyre likes this.
  9. Birko

Birko Avatar

Thank you Jakub. Your work is legendary.
    I hope you get a geographical POI named in your honour.
    And thank you Portalarium for recognising the value of Jakub's work.
    A smart acquisition. The scope of SotAMap is huge and an enormous burden for one person.
    This way everyone wins and we get maps ! I sort of like maps.

10. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I don't mind teleporting to friends. That's cool. I would prefer not having to do so and having to add people I don't know.

On the flipside, it does make the world feel a lot less lonely to me.

High Baron O`Sullivan and Mykll like this.
  11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

I would be interested to see the map generation made more automatic, using the actual scene asset coordinates. But yes, I agree that seeing all the nodes (even when some I know well were still missing) is just too much. I would even have submitted node locations myself, but he didn't have any way to use /loc coordinates, and I wouldn't be satisfied with trying to eyeball it on a zoomed-in map.

I would also rather see POIs and NPCs appear dynamically on the in-game version of the map as you find them (if the web version stays around, I'm okay with nodes being there), or have an NPC in city areas that can mark POIs on the map for you. And the ability to mark a few of your own.

twofoldsilence and Numa like this.
  12. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Awesome!!!!!

Jakub White likes this.
  13. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I see that Linux support got moved to phase 2. Personally, if I were developing this, the plug-in would use custom code to display the map and not embed an entire web browser and that would be top priority.

Arcanoxer likes this.
  14. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Surprise, SotAmap for Linux moved from Phase 1 to 2.

@DarkStarr Why?l

Barugon likes this.
  15. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Because Linux users are second-class citizens, of course.

16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Having been a Linux user since Slackware was distributed on a box full of 3.5" floppies, I would say I share the sentiment. BUT after years of war against the evil empire, Linux is now the most used kernel in the world by a long shot. Every Android device and every network server (owned by an intelligent IT staff) is Linux. Even Apple went to FreeBSD which is Linux-like. The only problem with Linux is the GPL license and that is undoubtedly the only reason Apple went for FreeBSD instead. Granted Linus was smart enough to make exceptions to the GPL license where it counts most, like drivers and headers... and he refuses to ever upgrade the license beyond v2 because GPL is evil. I bet he would take away the GPL license if he could but GPL is like a poison that cannot be sucked out no matter how hard you try.

Alas, the point is that Linux users should stand proud as they won the war already. It is just the desktop users that have not been won over yet. But with companies like Valve trying to bridge the video gap, it might be just a matter of time. Even MicroSoft recently announced embedded multiple Linux distributions in Windows in an effort to attract Linux and Apple users to an alternative. "Microsoft Windows is an alternative!" These are the days!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Here is proof of my nerdy/Linuxness. This was shot in 1999. It was my daughter's very first stuffed animal. My daughter is now in college. I bought that for her before she was born.

Of course I am just sharing this because I miss my daughter while she is away in college.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  18. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Glad to see this maps news. A true win-win-win scenario. Congrats to all.

Jakub White likes this.
  19. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

Maybe it's Portalariums way to say: "Please don't spend any money at the coming Telethons, until we take Linux seriously."

20. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Probably because that web browser plug-in doesn't work in Unity on Linux. Maybe they decided to write a new plug-in that isn't a whole freaking web browser. If the map can be based on scene assets instead of picture tiles on a web site, or if the picture tiles are packaged into the install, then the need for an embedded web browser would go away.

Right now it's more important to catch up on the missing maps.

Barugon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.