Did you hear the new Refining skills being added Q1?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SmokerKGB, Dec 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kain Darkmoor

Kain Darkmoor Avatar

I'm excited for the changes, although unsure why people think this would make it harder to get resources. Seems the only logical conclusion is it will be easier, whether your refining skills are 60 or 100. Additionally, this won't impact the price of ore one bit and will in fact just lower the price of ingots.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  2. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

My main concern is "weight" control, while mining I find the ore to be quite heavy, then to throw granite on top of that, I'm running to a town to drop my loads off or just destroying the granite or leaving it behind... My concern is probably a mute point if the stretch goal of mounts & pack animals are brought into the game...

3. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

I'm sure they are coming, all those stretch goals were to get them in earlier. But I do hear you, I end up dropping a lot of granite

SmokerKGB likes this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You've pulled the thread off topic. This isn't a "casual vs hardcore" comparison. Its actually a discussion of how well the new stuff the dev's are going to put in will dramatically help casual players, and in fact I noted in my last post that Im sure most "hardcore" players will be happy as well. AKA, everyone will be happy if they dont have to spend 1 hour pulling 240 buckets of water from the well and the new skills take that down to 10.

jolanar likes this.
  5. Rowell

Rowell Avatar

The new proposed production skills are indeed a good thing, IMHO.
    There is no fun in having to sit for 10 minutes, manually creating 20 ingots at a time (and other components needed to make recipes). So reducing the time doing unfun things is good.
    I always thought the "you can only queue up 20 items to produce" or "15 items to salvage" silly, and arbitrary.

SmokerKGB and Sentinel2 like this.
  6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not to nitpick but there is a huge difference between listening and doing. It's all about priorities. Fleshing out ALL the craft skill trees was always going to happen. It was only a question of when. Doing it later in development doesn't mean they weren't listening.

7. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This would also make masterwork/enchant less costly

SmokerKGB and Nelzie like this.
  8. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

I just hope these refining changes are put in sooner than later in Q1...

I spent three days or so gathering the iron that I used to make a full suit of augmented plate, along with a couple of hours to gather the silver and gold for masterworking and enchanting the armor. I didn't even have enough iron to produce the exceptional results that I was hoping for with all the base pieces of armor, so, it's just not as good as other armors that I have.

These blacksmith based armors are just massive ore sinks. With my limited time to play, I just don't have enough time to really tear through mines and gather enough ingots to produce a single full suit of exceptional result armor but maybe once a week? (Assuming the 24% chance to achieve an exceptional result with my current tools.)

I know there has to be a balance between casual and hardcore gaming types, but... I just don't want to be left kicking dirt for months waiting for these changes, because they new mines almost require that I have a team of fellow miners to clear the higher levels of mobs.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well adding refining is fine and Darstarrr said Q1 not R49 for it to come in, but I think first lets look at crafting.

Does GM mean that much?, will we ever see progress matter? We still see failures that are horrible and give only back a few scraps no matter what crafting proficiency is obtained. Crafting needs work. Skill levels should matter new things should happen all through the levels. Such as;

-as you become more proficient at crafting even if you have failures you will begin to get rewards back with your failures, starting with scraps because you are very inefficient,

-then perhaps you start to get an ingot or two perhaps bindings or some thing that was used to try to make the item,

-then as you continue on perhaps a part of the armor, or an inferior armor,

-and then as you get to mastery of the skill your failures are in the item itself, less stats, less of something, until you get that special item that shows your mastery of the crafting skill is obtained.

I know the topic is refining but crafting still has major flaws and to me the most important is that the reward for every level you achieve is to destroy and get those horrible few pieces of scrap back. This has to be fixed before we can continue on and add more to our crafting. @DarkStarr @Bzus @Chris @Devs

As to refining this is exciting. I am happy to hear we will finally get it but after crafting is fixed please.

SmokerKGB and Nelzie like this.
  10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I think gutting the whole thing is likely not going to happen at this point.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  11. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

@SmokerKGB, requesting that you edit the subject line of this thread to include @DarkStarr's clarification.

12. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

I fixed it.

13. StarWeed

StarWeed Avatar

interesting definition of casual...

in my mind i'm a casual crafter. I only work cloth and leather, and don't enchant, but still make some of the best items possible.

Crafting skills are 1.2M not 2M so if there were 3 new spinning skills and 3 new tanning skills, i would get them to 80 for 6 * ~600k = 3.6M XP, or 1 year of free login xp.

SmokerKGB likes this.
  14. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ever the optimist, however that is your opinion. Many people have a different view based on their own analyses and views on how the development of the game has gone especially related to the delays on release for 2 years now as well as the devs own quarterly updates. I would have expected to see kind of major thing listed long ago in those. Again, this is an extremely good thing (I have to keep saying this for the people trolling me on purpose and derailing) however I think it was more of a quick reaction by the devs (which is also good), maybe out of the recent surveys. Nothing about this in any way is negative to the devs, again, this is a fundamentally good thing for the game.

15. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Definitely not something I expect to happen short term. This is more of an episode 2 timeline.

16. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Any discussions of longterm planning must account for the Agile development philosophy. Things are not planned beyond 3 months. Expecting detail long before a mechanic has gotten focus will be fruitless.

Elwyn and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.