Very sad not to be able to do a shot with the devs on telethon goals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lace, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jezebel Caerndow

Jezebel Caerndow Avatar

And that is where I got that quote from " those who cannot control their emotions will try and control the behavior of others. "

2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

This is one of the most distressing (for me) threads I have come across in these forums.

Just because I said I'm not bothered by the cessation of the shots and listed my reasons why, I was told to mind my own business and anyone sharing my opinion was labeled a "politically correct care bear" and a "church lady".

I find the discussion about "political correctness" to be misplaced in this context, and I think that it is a bad practice to insult and try to censor people who don't share your opinions.

I suppose I should shut up and not voice my opinion about that, either. So go ahead and attack me again. I'm an "I don't care bear".

Lazlo, LoneStranger, Olthadir and 6 others like this.
  3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well you are just fine. No one should attack you for an opinion. This topic has imo been discussed way too long and lets get down to getting some great feedback and ideas for a best release of this game. :)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    Kara Brae likes this.
  4. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

This is a non-issue for me.
    What matters to me is ," the health and well being of our devs" .
    I do believe the previous telethons are recorded and as such can be watched over and over again.

5. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Interesting that you feel that 'prominent members' opinions should weigh more heavily than mere regular forum members.

And it seems pretty obvious that it wasn't 'only one'.

3devious likes this.
  6. Nelzie

Nelzie Avatar

That's all that matters.

Talking about politically correct care bears, etc., etc. is not even remotely connected to the professional business decision.

As for the rest... let it go, it's really not remotely a "PC" issue for the devs to stop doing shots.

7. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

I hate this thread. I do know that if someone on the job passes out and hits their head and dies on camera, the company is liable in court. That would be the absolute end to this enterprise and hoping everyone here would agree we do not want that to happen. Good decision, Port.

8. Bulveigh

Bulveigh Avatar

[​IMG]

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Don't worry too much about it. It was just that this topic crossed that border of having a tangent with real life. where we have the strange trend that people are nowadays more tribalistic in a "we rule - you suck" kinda silly argumentative logic with lots of black/white fallacies. Instead of listening to differing viewpoints, consider compromises or present your pro/con arguments.

But I also think that it is due to the devs going from one extreme to another with very few mentions of the reasoning behind why they did so. If they had slowly phased it out or explained their reasons for changing policy then I don't think the reaction would have been what we now got.

Kara Brae likes this.
  10. Black Knight

Black Knight Avatar

I have tried my best not to insult anyone, I haven't censored anyone or said they weren't entitled to their opinion, nor have I called anyone a care bear, so I hope you are not referring to me.
    But my whole point was that someone called out PC was because of a small number of vocal members over time "insulting" the dev team because they didn't like the drinks in hopes of stopping ("censor") it.
    Then someone insulted me and tried to censor me or at the very least make my argument less important by giving me a (wrong btw.) political label.

basically when I say censorship is bad, the response was - don't you dare censor me you [insert label]....

I never did, I was not the one labelling people here
    We don't really know that.

I'm out - I'm not sure I feel the whole discussion is actually a derailment of the original post, but it's becomming clear that this issue is rooted in political idealism.
    I cannot fight that with either arguments or facts - I realize that (and no that was not directed at anyone specific but maybe a little at myself as well)

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  11. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Thanks all for your concerns on our drinking habits and health :). As we mentioned on the telethon last week, we stopped doing shots because we want to focus more on the game questions, deep dives, and other important things that can involve everyone viewing. Shots are less than professional here, and so we have stopped this practice. Dancing and singing... well, that's up to you guys to decide on an individual basis what is good or not to watch ;).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.