Very sad not to be able to do a shot with the devs on telethon goals

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lace, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurelius Silverson

Aurelius Silverson Avatar

Sometimes in the past, although the overall steam was fun, they got pretty incomprehensible by the later stages - so on balance, I actually learned more about the thinking behind, planning and designing of the game systems from this type of telethon than some of the earlier ones. However there seems to be a tendency to take an absolute view of 'none or unlimited' which seems a bit bizarre - since compromise is usually a damn good basis to work from, putting in a 'no more than ...' whatever number of shots in a four hour span strikes me as sensible, both for the quality of information and the health of the Devs ;) With young kids around, I fully understand there needs to be care that people don't overdo the booze and stray into more 'adult appropriate' language and behaviour, but all things in moderation surely applies here, as in most things in life.

2. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

You have made a lot of excellent points. I also have no idea how this was tied to "political correctness". You are right, people hide behind that term far to often to defend terrible behavior or just used to justify random opinions they dont agree with.

Nelzie likes this.
  3. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I think a shot per stretch goal achieved is something at least sensible, a shot per $2500 on somthing that can raise over $100k is just silly (40 shots, enough to encourage people to drink a lethal amount of alcohol)

4. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

Just wondering, is this game rated Mature?

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I think it is for mature audiences and since it is multi player where anyone can talk to anyone Children should definitely be supervised.

Nelzie likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hmm...

Back the 90s, when "political correctness" first started being attacked, it was always implied to mean being correct in a way that had more to do with politics than facts, morals, or decency. You could say something that was completely factually true, and in no way was wrong or disrespectful to anyone, but it was still for the sake of politics "wrong" -- so "politically incorrect" -- because even though you weren't wrong, it could still get you in trouble politically. The classic example was how the terms you were supposed to use kept changing, which is where you'd get jokes about using "height disadvantaged" to refer to short people, though not limited to that. Criticisms of PC were not confined to conservatives, it became almost universal and part of popular culture.

Since then, it seems not too uncommon that people want erase the distinction between "political correctness" and basic decency. So someone will be an a-hole, then when called on it, will claim the person is just being "political correct." Its kind of making the term meaningless nowadays.

Nelzie, Vodalian and Kara Brae like this.
  7. redfish

redfish Avatar

At any rate, I'd guess I'd say if they're stopping only because of complaints, then its PC. But nobody knows that they don't agree with some of the complaints, either.

Kara Brae likes this.
  8. Mykll

Mykll Avatar

Online games have 2 ratings (if we go by ESRB standard, usually others).

http://www.esrb.org/ratings/ratings_guide.aspx

The game itself will have a rating of content. And then there is this:

"Online Interactions Not Rated by the ESRB" - Warns those who intend to play the game online about possible exposure to chat (text, audio, video) or other types of user-generated content (e.g., maps, skins) that have not been considered in the ESRB rating assignment.

They also won't rate what the company does outside the game.

The company can do whatever they want to do, and the public can react to that any way they want to as well. Well, maybe not in these forums, but they can at least vote with their wallets. Mine remained closed and it had nothing to do with what they do on camera. I'd throw out the "M Word" but seems that is becoming a bad word to say around here as well.

9. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

Hey mister, your words are spot on; spoken like a logician, a weigher of words and their values. Much respect for that breakdown of the matter, Frege would be proud.

10. Arcanoxer

Arcanoxer Avatar

They stop with the shots but @Chris is still singing, why? o_O

11. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No age control for the telethon=no alcohol
    Or do you want underage kids to see this and think "hey drinking much alcholoc is fun, let's start it, too?"

Ice Queen and Nelzie like this.
  12. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

So I guess don’t let kids ever watch television (which also has no age control) since they’re constantly advertising and glorifying the attributes of beer, wine and liquor?

Responsibility is on the parents, not on Portalarium.

I find this whole debate ridiculous:

1) before you say something is bad, quietly ask yourself “does this actually affect me in any real way or am I just bitching about something trivial or theoretical?”
    2) if Port devs want to make asses of themselves, that’s their right. You don’t like it ...... don’t watch. If you think it sends the wrong message to your kids, don’t let them watch.
    3) they’re not even doing actual shots. A shot is usually 1.5 ounces of liquor. Whereas Starr will pour like a thimble-sized amount and slurp it down, and call it a shot. I drink more at dinner than they’re drinking during a telethon.
    4) it’s fun. Relax.
    5) it’s been a binding, positive, entertaining thing for the majority of the community and even for the lore associated with the game’s development.
    6) let our poor overworked devs blow off some steam and have fun while they show off their progress for Pete’s sake.

13. Humbert_Humbert

Humbert_Humbert Avatar

Let's just hold the celebrating for when the Steam review is a little higher than 52%.

14. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No, it's not that easy. Everyone has a responsibility. So I can walk naked through the city and the parents are responsibly that their kids don't see this? No, this does not work this way, sorry.

15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Portland Oregon, that's legal, just sayin

16. Adris Elalynn

Adris Elalynn Avatar

Id buy more items to have them not sing..Maybe thats their plan.

Bit sad too the drinking has stopped, do what you want guys to celebrate, annoying people complaining have won.

17. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Perhaps... stop for a moment and think about a telethon's potential to attract NEW customers and funding to the project.

If someone hears about the game, is interested, and joins the stream to see if this project is worth spending his or her hard earned dollars on... will seeing a group of guys doing shots and dancing make that prospective customer more or less confident and willing to spend money?

Professionalism goes a long way.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
    evillego6, Aldo, Ice Queen and 3 others like this.
  18. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

The reason that they are not doing it anymore, shows me i might be playing the wrong game; how's that in reverse? :D

Cordelayne and Senash Kasigal like this.
  19. Vallo Frostbane

Vallo Frostbane Avatar

This telethon was way more professional than the last ones. It was clearly aimed at new customers which we need desperatedly and we should get used to that. Good job @DarkStarr... even though I think @Berek was drinking behind the scenes ;)

20. nonaware

nonaware Avatar

I have in the past stated that they should cut it out with the drinking during the telethon...

but keep in mind that this was after there was a drunk middle aged man in a bunny suit passing out on stream while they were asking me for money to help their biz... lol

as another poster said all things in moderation. having a drink and having some fun is different than getting **** faced and passing out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.