6-Month Demo!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jouten, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lesni

Lesni Avatar

Well not knowing the system I would suggest of automatic skill use. Or non combat relevant skills to be activated differently. It actually would be fun if you would have to target area for search (of hidden loot, hidden traps, doors etc) and not to be used automatically. And the character actually would haveto look the area for atleast few seconds for immersion sake.

2. CaptainJackSparrow

CaptainJackSparrow Avatar

More than happy to do so, when there is something resembling the combat system actually displayed. I'd say I'll be ready right around Alpha.

3. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

the current combat system was displayed. maybe they will use some of our feedback in the alpha version of the system.

4. CaptainJackSparrow

Why waste time debating something which isn't going to exist a few days from now as it currently does?

Did you miss Lum's post??

Strongsquirrel1 likes this.
  5. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Well considering they said that was our first look at the combat system I'd say we've seen it. At least in it's basic form. Chris was on chat last night and describe some of the more interesting functionality. I don't give a crap about the aethetics, even though they were pretty hideous. What a lot of us object to is the basic mechanics. Just not realistic or useful, my skills don't just randonmly pop up, remain for a short time then disappear. I'd be fired toute suite if I worked like that.

Isaiah, vjek and Freeman like this.
  6. vjek

vjek Avatar

Yeah, considering all the ancillary/bonus/dependent combat mechanics and systems that were described last night, this is it. Considerable effort has gone into this core system/underlying mechanic, and it's already spreading and expanding.

What is shown in the 6 month video is ~exactly, hotkey slot by hotkey slot, what I imagined, based on what they described. The only thing missing is combo's/chains, and seeing the skill/spell "deck" selection interface.

It's also interesting to review some of the posts others have made in the previous few months, regarding their mental model impressions of the system. Most of the detractors were dead on, while many of the proponents presumptions were quite far off the mark. I only mention this because an accurate mental model IS useful, and it has been demonstrated, on this very topic, to allow logical & critical assessment of a system not yet shown.

rild and Isaiah like this.
  7. CaptainJackSparrow

Hindsight.

8. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I wondered how long it was going to be before someone on either side tried to say, "I told you so!" Ugh. I hope whatever way it turns out, and it is still too early to tell, there will be no gloating, just a lot of fun with the actual final [insertnameofcombatmechanichere].

Strongsquirrel1 and Alexander like this.
  9. ImRad

ImRad Avatar

I enjoy seeing the progress, and the update videos. Keep up the great work!
    Possible ideas for next update;
    If crafting is heavily pushed, maybe a section regarding trades/purchase mechanics.
    The ever so debated... Combat mechanics! :/
    A community driven game, maybe two players working together?
    More epic commentary from Lord British himself. :D

Thanks, looking forward to the gameplay!

10. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

YES! This for the next demo! Actual PvP combat - maybe Starr vs. Chris. Would be soooooooo sweet. Great suggestion. Oh you said working together, hmmm.

rild likes this.
  11. ImRad

ImRad Avatar

Ya, I was just trying to avoid another rampant PvP post... But an epic battle would be rad. Lol!

12. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

That's quite a stretch, even you know it. But to be honest, crafting having random elements isn't entirely a bad or new thing. Take UO. If you used a normal smith hammer on dull copper ingots, you'd create something with higher physical resistance while the other resists randomized. If you used a valorite runic hammer on valorite ingots, you'd get quite a "random" effect but you knew you'd get at least X amount of extra properties.

This randomization actually made crafting more enjoyable because all armor and weapons were different and not cookie cutters (like artifacts became).

I actually picture the rune combat system to be similar to this type of "randomization" .

13. vjek

vjek Avatar

Unfortunately, the result being random isn't quite the same as the interface being random..

Similarly, reacting to random events in combat (as in, reacting to your target's random actions) is entirely different than being forced to constantly scan a portion of the UI to know where to press the next random hotkey location to activate the next random spell or skill you might have.

The former, (reacting to a target's random actions) all for it. The latter, not so much.

14. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

This system isn't really broken. Many people might be resistant to change here, but your comments are still relevant. I would like to perswade others to see what I'm seeing here, and then point out where you think I'm going wrong. Like I said before I believe this system works for combat type skills in it's current form. It's the skills like stealth, and spells that require a specific moves that could drastically change the outcome of a combat.

Having your crushing blow vs having a weapon break move show up isn't going to drastically change the flow of combat. Sometimes we just have to take the opening when it is available to us. If you have the opportunity to break a weapon in combat you can take it or not. You might not always have a good chance to land a crushing blow, because the opponent is defending. So the system isn't broken it actually does reflect reality in that sense. However a spell like teleport is not directly related to fighting an opponent, and it has nothing to do with how your opponent reacts. You can't wait around for a teleport spell to show up if you need to escape from somebody right now.

However, I don't see anything constructive coming from the people saying wait till they release the system. They refuse to believe we have already seen it in it's current form and think we should just be carried along by the developer's own vision. Remember when the developers claimed they want to hear our input before we pledged. Let's not hinder that input by belittling people for sharing their opinions please.

15. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

There is an entire constructive thread over:

https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum...emo-combat-card-system.3774/page-3#post-67575

But as you say, people saying wait, with no original thought or feedback, just trolling others with actual feedback - yeah.

rild and Isaiah like this.
  16. Tartness

Tartness Avatar

RelExpo likes this.
  17. Capt. Hook

Capt. Hook Avatar

What I liked:
    1. Towns appeared more alive
    2. Forest and wilderness looked even better
    3. Conversations with NPCs looks intriguing

What I disliked:
    1. Combat card thing (as per others above so won't dwell on it)
    2. Characters jogging everywhere; any chance we can walk?
    3. Characters jogging with head turned at 45degrees when running and looking over a shoulder. Looks very unnatural
    4. Crafting looks alittle simplistic to me but maybe I'm missing something

Overall. I'd give it 6 out of 10

18. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

Patience is great, and being patient is a virtue :) But patience doesn't change a bad basic mechanic. That will not change unless they change it.

EWHART, TheGrinch, vjek and 1 other person like this.
  19. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I liked how people could move at different speeds (walk, jog, and run) in UO. That was one of the mechanics that made the PvP portion of the game so good even with the older interface. People could move in and out of the range of combat instead of everybody moving the same speed. If we all move the same speed then we basically just stand there next to the guy and hammer eachother till one dies (like WoW). Having the ability to move around and be mobile makes things interesting.

EWHART and BillRoy like this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

Having patience and staying silent doesn't do any good. Have patience, but give them your feedback. Constructively. :)

vjek, Joviex and Isaiah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.