Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

A bit more criticism - non-consensual cannibalism (part II)

Discussion in 'Release 35 Feedback Forum' started by Bowen Bloodgood, Nov 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

You think I am using unlikely hypotheticals,but surely you must have read about a corpse that was in the water for a very long time and was in a wax state. Anyway, that aside there are spells that require corpse wax. So are you going to handle the wax remains of a corpse to cast those spells or are you just disturbed by drinking it in a potion? After casting spells that use it,do you go to a body of water to wash your hands to be sure you don't by accident get a tiny bit in your mouth somehow? Because if you have a aversion to drinking it,why would you risk it at all? Personally,if you choose not to use anything in the game, I understand it is your decision. Anyway, I will say for the record, I never use potions at all,but that is not the reason I don't. My point being, I can't see a issue with using it in a potion, if you are using it in spells. So is the bigger issue here,do you want to see it totally removed from the game altogether? :)

2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Because it's NOT used in all potion recipes. Out of all the potions it's only used in 3. Healing, Cure Plague, and Poison. Nor is it used in any other part of alchemy.

It looks like they just up and decided that all potions should have 2 ingredients. So while your solution in creative, it doesn't really jive with everything else.

3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Then why not use coal for fuel like the other skills do?

Grayhawk likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Again.. you're not paying attention. You're fixating on just the RP reason and none of the others presented.. such as the consistency within the magic system.

Nor have you answered the question why do you not want it to change? And neither has anyone else.

That isn't a reason not remove corpse wax and if that truly is how you're RPing.. which I highly doubt.. then the change doesn't affect you at all anyway. So again.. why not?

Because garlic has always been used in healing in Richard's games.. as well as being a reagent in healing spells just as it is in SotA. There's that little thing about consistency within the world..

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Grayhawk like this.
  5. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

Carpentry & tailoring don't use coal :)

The closest to a fuel in a potion to date is the unrecoverable empty flask.

*shrug* Done arguing this one. My vote - don't change it.

6. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Yes and I've listed them in this very thread the spells that use corpse wax.. such as summoning the dead, and banish undead. Corpse wax is used in spells dealing with death and the dead. Look at the life magic spells.. it is NOT used in healing the living. So why should it be in a healing potion?

That, was never an issue at all. Let's try not to cloud the issue.

Why are you opposed to not having corpse wax in a healing potion? That is the question no one will answer.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Grayhawk like this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Because of the magic-alchemy aspects of potions.

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Why? Why do you care at all?

Carpentry and tailoring don't require a heat source.. and apparently neither does alchemy.

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood

To add to your argument - IIRC this originally was Ectoplasm which was used in the potion recipes, then that was removed completely from the game and when it was the recipes replaced the Ectoplasm in them with the Corpse Wax. Which moved the recipe from something somewhat 'neutral' over to clearly being derived from Necromantic practices.

Now I don't mind that - I think that it would be cool and good RP if there were Health Potion recipes which come from both sides of the ethical boundaries. But that requires that there is an option which creates Health Potions from things like herbs as well instead of replacing it.
    That way we can have those who want to play 'bad guys' have a necromantic recipe and those who want to play 'good guys' have a more traditional herbal recipe. While those who don't care about RP could use both with abandon.

(Edit: where attunement in Life / Death magic definitely affecting the effect of the Health Potion depending on the ingredients.)

Grayhawk and Hermetic like this.
  10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

That doesn't make any sense.

Will someone.. ANYONE.. please answer the one simple question.. if you're so opposed to making this one.. simple.. easy change.. that actually makes sense within the realm of SotA magic.. Why not?

Alternatives ways of thinking isn't a reason btw.. it's a mental work around.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  11. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

12. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Except, the original recipe for healing was just 10 garlic.. it didn't have any extra ingredients..

13. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Since animal corpse breakdown products effectively fertilize plants and crops, would a veggan refuse to eat their kale if they knew?

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Exactly! The only thing people have done here is basically say "so think of it another away"..

Not one has given a single reason based on either established lore, game mechanics or game design why it should remain as it is where I've presented several reasons why it doesn't make sense.

1: Consistency with magic - It's not used in healing spells except when the target is already dead.
    2: Natural association.. upon which many reagents in Richard's games.. including SotA are based..
    3: World - What would be the natural reaction of the common people? What would YOUR natural reaction be in real life? Does it make sense that such an ingredient would be accepted in a common potion widely used by the population? Unlikely.
    etc..

It's such a simple and easy fix with so far.. no reason not to. Just a bunch of folks going "well just think of it differently".

If you don't care.. why argue?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  15. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Bowen, this is no way to discuss this topic.
    This is about preferences.
    You prefer it to be different. We give you reasons why we think it can stay that way because it makes sense to us and you brush them away.
    Great, so you want it to be different. We got it. And honestly: If it is so important for you you will get my support for it. But stop to pretend that this is a discussion based on logic.

Preachyr likes this.
  16. Turk Key

Turk Key Avatar

Question on the OP. Would such an avatar accept a life saving blood transfusion?

Preachyr likes this.
  17. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

If this is ONLY about preferences.. then why do you PREFER to have corpse wax? You guys haven't been giving your preferences.. you've been telling me to change my thinking. That's not the same thing.

And I just listed.. again.. 3 reasons NOT based solely on preference. It's about consistency with magic.. it's about common sense.. it's about good design that allows players to go.. hmmm that seems reasonable.. so if I'm discovering the recipe for myself.. (something which devs have long since said they wanted players to be able to do in crafting).. I should probably use garlic cause that's used in healing.. I shouldn't use this cause that's involved with death etc..

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not equal.

Would you drink blood to heal a cut?

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  19. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

Nope, I'm sighing here because you seem to know the correct answer and are utterly resistant to finding value in anyone elses' points of view.

*shrug* I don't debate brick walls. Just annoys me and wastes my time. I still think you're wrong, but ain't gonna waste your precious time (or, more importantly to me, mine)

Don't think I agree with you on this. I still don't.

And I've already refuted all your arguments above. You've got your set-in-stone perview of What Should Be, and won't be happy until it happens to be exactly right to you. Aggravating.

20. Theonetheonly

Theonetheonly Avatar

If it worked, like by MAGIC? Sure!

Oh, gee, ever hear of platelets? ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.