"A life innate that increases the healing of others" Best R24 Post Mortem Quote

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Waxillium, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

@Chris

Please do this!

That one idea can create a healing class unique enough that it's mandatory for a party.

margaritte, Numa, KuBaTRiZeS and 8 others like this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

3. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

Ditto

4. Bulivyf

Bulivyf Avatar

Genuinely cant think of a way this would be a bad thing. Just a good move all around :)

5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree it's a good thing. But I think it would be better if healing worked slightly different than it currently does.

Death Magic healing makes sense. You burn focus, but you only heal when you have something to take away the HP from. Life healing apparently comes from no where, and that's why I always feel it's OP. There's no real downside to using healing from the life tree. Yes, burn focus but it's essentially an unlimited extension of hit points, so long as you're not losing more than you can heal. With Death Magic, you're juggling more and the HP is finite.

So my point is that I believe Life Healing should have to come from somewhere. That there should be more of a closed loop system similar to Death Magic. There are many ways this could happen.

1. We could require MAX Focus for your healing. What this means is that each time you perform healing your max focus is minimized. Maybe until you apply some kind of recovery spell or healing herbs, or whatever. This basically would make each heal you perform a type of sacrifice that would give it meaning. No longer would you simply camp spawns and heal yourself like a battery recharge, it would be something a little more special than that.
    2. We could also use an alternative where MAX Health was required for healing. It would work much like option 1, the more you heal the less over all HP you have until you perform some kind of recovery process.
    3. A third idea would be to have healing linked to a Shrine or an Ankh. You go to this place and "charge up" your healing capability. This would be tied to quests and virtue and you'd go out into the world healing people or yourself, and this would have real meaning because you would limited by how much you could do before needing to return and recharge.

I know the typical MMO fan doesn't like these kinds of limitations. But this is not supposed to be a typical MMO, it's supposed to be a roleplaying game. The combat system is also not supposed to be completely and totally designed as a DPS war, at least that's been said by the developers in the past.

But yeah, very cool idea and I'm all for it. I just hope we move in a direction that makes healing a little more sophisticated and meaningful. (Much like I hope all combat becomes someday)

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  6. redfish

redfish Avatar

I don't know for sure what Chris meant. If he meant auto-healing; I don't like passive skills, that's my criticism -- because they take away from tactics. Also, making a healer mandatory for a party is something that should be avoided. Because life magic shouldn't be treated as mandatory.

7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Until my mage has armor and options to stay alive Heal is all there is.

I would love to see bandaids added as another healing option. I hate having a healing mage. Cloth armor is worthless for defense and spells do not work well enough to play a ranged mage. Most of my damage comes from Pole Arm and fist spells so I have to heal to survive...

Ice Queen, Numa, blaquerogue and 3 others like this.
  8. Drocis the Devious

You have to have something tank for you. A summoned creature or a tamed pet. Otherwise you're going to get mowed down as a real mage.

There's not a lot of balance there yet. The higher level guys are hybrids, they're wearing pieces of plate or chain, using larger weapons or shields or both. They're supplementing a lot of innate "stuff" and melee "stuff" to give a semi illusion that they're a magic user and not a fighter that also casts convenient over powered magic.

Unfortunately, because only a small handful of people get to these higher levels, most of the feedback comes from the same group and nothing really gets changed to improve balance for pure casters (in the D&D sense of the word).

Still, I think I could play a character that was only trained in fire, water, earth, or sun and survive, it would just be VERY VERY frustrating because I would die a lot.

9. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Correct. I use Ice Elemental. He is not very helpful tho. Holds aggro for about 2 spells if I'm lucky. Higher level he dies too quick and I end up with the whole battle anyway.

I am a pure mage to the death. I use polearm because staves and wands are broken and don't help. (polearm helps)...I will switch once/if they fix staves.

I have suggested and suggested more ranged spells in the trees...I am slim on my chosen trees (Water/Sun)...and yes I have heal to survive...I don't do death, I don't do earth....I play my role. Not a min/maxer...just want all trees to be viable...Still hoping...still complaining :p

10. Drocis the Devious

I got my Death Mage up to level 42, no other spells or melee skills. ONLY trained in INT, no STR or DEX.

I didn't use a staff or wand or any weapon. I got pretty powerful for my level, I was proud of that character, it was a good character that I could roleplay. But it was BORRRRING as could be just fighting the same stupid stuff over and over again. And when my experience modifier ran out, I was like forget this and just started a new character. There was no way I was ever going to be PVP competitive in this environment.

I don't know how people do it, leveling so high killing dumb stuff using the same builds. They all look the same to me, hybrid min/maxer. Anyway, maybe over time it will change.

Check this out...
    [​IMG]
    I'm in plate armor here only because I was going out into a Shardfall and wanted (needed) the added protection, but I normally would've been in cloth only.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    Well I would like a healing "class" because I would like other classes also.
    But in this game you are working on a slippery slope as people here will rail against the "class system". I want to be a pure lich (uo style) so basically fire and energy. When I get my class I will back a healler class :p

12. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I train mostly Int...a bit of Str for carrying...No DEX...mages don't need DEX hahahahah...

I'm much more proud this release than for a while...doing better...but still not as good as a melee build...Just biding my time...hoping for freezing iceball :)

I hope cloth armor and wizard attire improve the ability to survive eventually...

My bonus ran out too and been stuck at 59 for days...but working tailoring so always collecting leather :)

It takes motivation to level and I force myself to so that I can test magery each release...Always hoping I can provide feedback to help mages...

Back on topic...Healing is a requirement but should not be...I don't usually heal with my mage...he is not supposed to get hit :)

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Down with capitalist oppression! ;)

Btw, if the idea is for out-of-combat auto-heal being faster, I'd say we need to see how auto-heal works when nutrition comes in , etc. for balance. I don't want make auto-heal making food pointless, or, even with food, healing potions or spells pointless. Or, any of those, making reducing your damage pointless; causing you to be less careful in combat because you know you'll auto-heal right away. If a life magic passive does that, it wouldn't be good either, because it would be too attractive a skill to pick up.

Logain, 4EverLost and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

I would LOVE IT if there was no auto-heal unless you had eaten. The regen rates are wickedly OP once you get up to the higher levels. To the point where a low level character can't do more damage to a high level character than they can regen. It's like you hit them for 7 points of damage and they regen 9.

Ravicus Domdred and redfish like this.
  15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

well thats why a mage NEEDS dex, to avoid getting hit hehe! Now if you are a gathering mage, well you need str and dex.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, RG said I think that, with the nutrition system, you have to have water consumption (including water in food) to auto-heal. But I'd hope that even auto-heal with food alone is pretty slow, and so you can't rely on it.

17. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I want to eat my kills! Richard himself wants a cannibal town, and by the holy book of (what ever god you wish) I will give it to him! Muhhahahahaha

18. redfish

redfish Avatar

And I hope that a life magic passive doesn't nullify all of that.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

Ya know, you just made me think how cool it would be if....

I'm just going to make a new post. This is AWESOME!

20. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Good point...but I had always used DEX for my melee crits...didn't know how much it helped with def...hmmm good point.

Ice Queen and Ravicus Domdred like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.