"A life innate that increases the healing of others" Best R24 Post Mortem Quote

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Waxillium, Dec 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

if you do enough damage to a healer type he burns up his mana, and then hes vulnerable from not being able to heal, say im out of mana then you root me, now i cant run and i have no protection but what im wearing, i cant heal unless i have a heal potion, etc...

margaritte and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  2. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think the higher you go in heal skills the higher the heal should be, same with all other spells. This is the problem with a "pick any skill system" which im not very fond of.

3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Being hit with arrows in plate and taking so much damage is another problem, the whole system they have is screwed because there is no limit to what you can or cannot do. To me that is the main unbalanced issue in combat whether pvp or pve.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I just popped into the game and took some screen shots of the starting Healing Touch and Soul Tap spells just to emphasize how stupidly crazy Healing is in comparison to other spells. Because the average person playing this game just rarely understands because all they do is use healing because well, it works well. Then they say things like "it's not OP you're nuts!"

But how can anyone argue with this?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So here your choice at level 1.

You can get Soul Tap which will give you 8 Focus for 18 HEALTH!

Or you can get Healing Touch that gives you 9 to 13 HEALTH for just 7 Focus!

That's unreal. And so as that scales when you gain levels, the Soul Tap spell continues to take away your health, forever. But the Healing Touch spell just gives you more hit points for less focus.

Healing is so OP in its current form it's not even funny. There's no downside to using it. Even if you never train in it, you start the game day one getting this completely overpowered spell.

blaquerogue and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  5. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    right, and I am not arguing against you at all. What the op is suggesting is something we both want. Classes. If they implement a healing CLASS, then they should make many classes viable. Your cleric build, my necromancer build, a fire mage, a frost mage, an earth mage, a melee warrior, and archer, and so on and so forth. Just because some one wants a healing class does not make it a bad thing, just make it so there are other classes too.

Lord Baldrith and blaquerogue like this.
  6. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

You both sound like you're starting to talk specialization vs. generalization here... Ultima online rewarded specialization, while the single player Ultima games all allowed (NAY required) the avatar to become a badass who could do everything to win the game... I see this as a potentially huge problem for SotA; essentially it is a single player game trying to be a multiplayer game (or would that be the other way around? heh. anyways..) So, in order to satisfy the social players, they are going to want to balance avatar progression for specializations, since obviously it would be pretty lame to have a group of players with all the same skills and abilities. On the other hand, to please the single-player folks out there, they will have to make it possible for an avatar to be self-sufficient, which means they will have to be an expert "jack of all trades", so to speak in order to beat the game.... Do you see the paradox here? Methinks Portalarium may have committed a fatal design flaw very early on when they promised/waffled over delivering both an excellent online/social/sandbox game, yet also a top-shelf, plot-driven single player game at the same time. But maybe they have some genius-like aces up their sleeve that we don't know about yet? Yeah, I'm being critical because I see that as my job here (unpaid oops I mean PAYING alpha tester). Only time will tell. Seriously, I hope I didn't just blow a lot of money on a game that's going to try to master two diametrically opposed playstyles but end up failing at both. It's a tricky proposition, to be sure. First-world problems. *sigh*

7. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

aye, its a dilemma for sure!

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

@mikeaw1101,

The single-player Ultimas didn't require you to be a jack-of-all trades; you had party members to do things for you. In fact, an important part of the game was getting the right balance for your party. The game let you do everything, just because they didn't want to limit your character.

Elwyn, blaquerogue and mikeaw1101 like this.
  9. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Exactly. Since there are no parties in the single player mode (just temporary "companions"), how exactly do you think poor Mr/Mrs Avatar will be able to save Novia without learning how to do everything him/herself? Just something to think about. Unless the companions are going to be VERY fleshed out in the single player mode, and basically act like a party (and not seeing how that's going to work based on how the current UI and perspective is set up). :D

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

There'll be hirelings too, I think.

11. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I agree with you redfish. Your character became a badass, becuase you had other npc party memebers badass in other skills, we could do that here but so far the answer is no. I dont understand that? You could be a badass fighter and i can be a badass healer and together we rock, and be meaningful to each other. In a party scenario. I think limits are good for a multiplayer game. Makes each of us more useful.

Just to get things straight i play PVP and PVE, in PVP i depend on others to heal me, break down the enemy etc... But in PVE even with a party it doesnt really matter.

12. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Also, if I remember correctly, from U4 onwards, the avatar eventually became better at every "specialty" (magic, bows, swords, thieving, etc) than any of your companions were as you progressed through the game.

13. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

"others" would also include pets, summoned creatures and companions (if that happens?)

14. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

15. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

this is the dilemma of catering to different crowds. Pick one and pursue it, but if you are going to walk down the middle of the road you get hit by traffic going both ways.

blaquerogue and mikeaw1101 like this.
  16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Yeah single player and multiplayer games are totally different, in every aspect, i can understand having all skill in a single player game but in a multiplayer game it seems unconstructive. thats just my opinion on it :)

17. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Single vs Multi
    PvP vs PvE

A lot of fun yet conflicting play styles.

18. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

It's going to be interesting to see how they pull these two very different modes together, that's all I was saying. cheers!

19. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

its very complicated for sure!

mikeaw1101 and Ravicus Domdred like this.
  20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Drawing from your own health is a criteria for Soul Tap, healing just happens i understand that, but the higher you get in soul tap the less life you lose, im almost at gm with one of my characters with soul tap, and i lose very little life, but with my healer i lose alot more mana casting my healing spells

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.