A plea

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ulskanine, Nov 22, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Yeah, I've already got a job for making money, I play games for fun, not to do yet more work... ;)

2. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

So we have been hearing some hopeful tidbits from Atos and Darkstarr about their plans for the Heritage tag, and i think they seem to generally understand we do not want the Heritage tag.

Atos mentioned making new House purchases no-trade and leaving decorations free-trade as an option, which i personally do not really have a big problem with. I feel this is a very good middle ground on the Heritage tag issue. Cant speak for everyone ofcourse and i am sure there is people who have other thoughts, and my whole purpose of creating this thread was to encourage the discussion of this issue. Otherwise nothing would be done at all.

3. Illiaro

Illiaro Avatar

The cash flow has to be a problem. A $9.00 subscription seems thin to me as far as funding the company and there seem to be a lot fewer dev names for the project to be health. I just hope a lot of people are working behind the scenes on Episode Two.

arcdevil likes this.
  4. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Though I sell raw mats on my vendor. Now I have several people regularly asking if I've been in the mines lately and how much ore i have for sale. Before I put them on the vendor. And they are offering me cash for mats.

Don't mind the bulk sales, and the occasional buck. But the expectation that's all I do is weird. I mean it's a freaking video game. I've made the same comment. I already have a job. I play a video game for entertainment.

Not as a secondary income stream :)

The pressure is getting silly.

We might need to include an invisibility friends list mode. Either that or I'm going to be thinning out my friends list really soon ...

Cordelayne, Mishikal and Alley Oop like this.
  5. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

I first made this post back in November and have since now given it just about 2 months, after the initial hope they gave of it being looked into and they having plans to change it. They have since continued to be vague about their plans and it would seem to me are uninterested in changing anything about it. So i will be ending all further purchases from Catnip and will also end my remaining subscriptions.

If things change i will reconsider my actions as i do love playing Shroud and would love to be able to help support it, but i no longer find the value in me doing so.

Uls-

manufacturedsoul and arcdevil like this.
  6. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

Hm, from what I read, they removed the Heritage flag from most items and are continuing to do passes to remove it from more...Doesn't that address your root complaint?

7. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

I have seen nothing removed from the Heritage tag. perhaps you could give an example ?

8. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

It was in the patch notes for one of the fixes:

Not sure when that later pass will occur.

Sentinel2 and Anpu like this.
  9. Ulskanine

Ulskanine Avatar

Would love to know what those items was, cause they sure haven't been anything i have seen.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  10. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Just a sidenote: They now have to go through the hard work of getting people who gave up on the store to look again.

It has been long enough that I no longer have the habit of automatically checking. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Not impossible, but it does take time and incentive to (re)establish habits in your customers.

Sentinel2 likes this.
  11. Sentinel2

Sentinel2 Avatar

Same. I recently looked at the crown store and found a number of new items with the heritage tag on them. I figure I'll wait and see before using cotos on an item.

Anpu and Mishikal like this.
  12. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

It's disappointing to hear that the heritage items are still so pervasive.

arcdevil and Cordelayne like this.
  13. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

Game crafted items do not keep the lights on or power the serves. The game needs revenue, without diminishing the value of the items sold previously which funded the game development.

14. CarlNZ

CarlNZ Avatar

Aye, but having one craftable and numerous store versions doesn't attract customers to pay for the lights and power for the servers.

Cordelayne likes this.
  15. Sulaene Moon

Sulaene Moon Avatar

Chris just probably hasn't gotten around to taking the Heritage tags off yet. He did say he would, but I'm sure other things are more critical at the moment.

16. Numa

Numa Avatar

You're both right.

SOTA is now F2P which means the game has to attract more people (craftable goods) of which 3-10% will stay long enough and be invested enough in the game to buy stuff from the store.

It's the way F2P works and in games like Pokémongo it works well ( $1.4 B in revenue last year).

The problem is scale, you need to continually attract enough new players so that enough of a minority stay to fund the game

Cordelayne likes this.
  17. CrandalltheFoole

CrandalltheFoole Avatar

18. Mishikal

Mishikal Avatar

I'm not really sure what your point is? If you actually bother to read the data provided, it's clearly noted that the DATA being used *comes* from Shroud's own API. I.e., the DATA comes from SOTA. It doesn't matter who runs the website. Which is exactly what I stated: "Another source comes from Shroud's own data:"

19. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

Most of us have already done this. The writing was on the wall when they switched to a subscription based game. Then they removed the $5 monthly gifts. Then they removed the website store forcing us to buy crowns. Then they made everything heritage. Then they banned RMT in the forums. All horrible ideas; all obviously made to try to wrestle cash the game was bleeding from the hands of players who were turning their backs on their investments day by day, week by week, month by month, year by year. The excuse was always some garbage about new players or new episodes that NEVER materialized and NEVER will.

Yeah i spent a lot on this game as well; maybe not as much as some but easily a few thousand bucks over the years. I could kick myself for again believing in RG and Star after how they abandoned UO and now SotA. I thought the UO thing was originally because of EA but now i see it wasn't. UO is still is going semi strong while this game is in it's death throws. I actually play UO more now than SotA my main UO account is now 21 years old btw. I stick with the things i care about and i can honestly say unless something changes drastically i don't really care about what happens to SotA anymore even after throwing so much money and TIME at it. The wasted time almost hurts more than the money. They betrayed their fans and customers over and over again laughing all the way to the bank till the bank account balance started laughing back.

I now believe the SotA dev thought process was that they actually believed due to the large amounts of money many of us initially put in during the first few years we'd just keep throwing money at it so our investments didn't go poof with the game. Well guess what at this point i don't even care anymore. I'll never spend another cent on SotA and i'm sure may others won't either. They did this to themselves. Every time i think about playing the game i just get mad and upset log in to refresh what i threw so much money and time at and shake my head at my own stupidity. I was duped so was everyone else. If this game is still around by the end of 2020 i'll be surprised. I don't expect things to get better i wish they would but under the current leadership there is pretty much ZERO chance. I had really high hopes for this game my investment is proof of that. I thought i was going to be playing this game for YEARS to come like UO. I was wrong. If it hadn't been RG and Star behind this game I wouldn't have ever put this kinda money into it, i believed in them and now where are they? GONE just like the money in the Portalarium bank account. At best they are still here in name only which doesn't mean anything. The house of cards that is SotA will likely come crashing down taking all of our investments with it. I bet when all is said and done they will blame us the players for not pumping more cash into it instead of their own pitiful blunders and horrible dev decisions. Live and learn. Never again!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.