Ability to _examine_ players - view paperdolls

Discussion in 'Avatars & NPCs' started by Camro, Feb 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Camro

Camro Avatar

Hi

In UO one very nice feature was the ability to look at other players paperdolls. I don't know about others, but when I saw another player it was usually the first thing that I did. It gives the opportunity to see what gear someone has, and for the other player the ability to show off their gear to others.

Also, since you can name your crafted items, it's a chance to show off gear crafted by famous players.

Doom Angel, Solazur, Lace and 13 others like this.
  2. Womby

Womby Avatar

The current paperdoll display shows your max and current health and focus, your STR, DEX and INT, how much gold you are carrying, what weight you are carrying and the maximum you can carry before being encumbered.

It also shows whether you have a summoning whistle equipped and the type of weapon (and therefore skill tree) you use. And that's assuming there is no additional tool tip information.

In real life, would you like it if strangers could click on you and see your medical records, qualifications and bank statement?

I am against the idea.

3. Fox Cunning

Fox Cunning Localization Team

This, I wouldn't mind others to see. After all, if I am going around with a whistle around my neck and my weapons ready to be unsheathed, then anyone should be able to see them from an appropriate distance.

I agree that everything else, as Womby correctly said, should be hidden - i.e. don't use the current paperdoll window, in compliance to the New Britannian Personal Data Protection Act.

Solazur, Budner, Krohon and 2 others like this.
  4. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Let's get a vote on this! I'm definitely for it.

Doom Angel, Krohon and Lord Baldrith like this.
  5. Ravenclaw [BEAR]

Ravenclaw [BEAR] Avatar

I enjoyed viewing the persons paperdoll as well. The paperdoll should only show though what could/would normally be visible to the naked eye if you ran into them in real life and not include their statistics of str, int, dex, life, etc..

Doom Angel, Solazur, Krohon and 5 others like this.
  6. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

Every online game has the ability to inspect other players, and see what cool stuff they have equipped. I agree the personal info should not be visible, but yeah, let people check out each other's swag :D

Solazur, Lace, Solstar and 3 others like this.
  7. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

IRL players can see my Adidas shoes (which literally give me +5 sprint and +10 kick), my Levis commuter jeans (which literally give me +10 dex), my band t shirt, my bracelet, and my glasses rim color. They cant see my medical records. This comparison is a bit wild.

+1 for viewing other character's paperdolls!

Solazur and Krohon like this.
  8. Krohon

Krohon Avatar

No, but IRL I am able to show them, if I wish. Perhaps showing the paperdoll should be optional for players?

Womby likes this.
  9. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Maybe avatars should get medical records in the opening quest? For, you know, immersion...

Solazur likes this.
  10. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

yea id defenatly like a gear check for other players, would be cool.

11. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I'm kind of in the middle on this one. I like the idea of being able to click on other players to view equipment to see how they are crafted as a means of learning and improving my own gameplay. I do not on the other hand like the idea of gear-checks (as they were used for a time in WoW), which could potentially be used by Elitist players as a deciding factor to include or deny them as party/guild members as a result of their gear levels.

For this reason, the level of detail revealed would be my deciding factor. To @Womby 's point, I would not vote for visibility of gold, health and focus, attributes, what kind of pet your whistle summons, etc.

12. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'd prefer if people could content with just looking at my in-game avatar, not my stats and/or UI.

13. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

I agree. Features like this start with good intentions but end up being used as gear checks to kick people out of raids, which (while I understand it) I am not in favor of.

Miracle Dragon and Solazur like this.
  14. Hermann von Salza2

Hermann von Salza2 Avatar

I don't know if I would like this. What if I decided not to wear any underwear that day? Remember kilts will be a thing in game :D

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Alternatively, we could just ask, "what are you wearing? No, your avatar gears, not your under pants"

16. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Protip: people can already see this by clicking on you with the show HP option enabled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.