An honest opinion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord_Darkmoon, Sep 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Headquake

Headquake Avatar

I think many people would agree ( pvp lover , quest lover , pve lover , craft lover ) that social and housing can take the back seat for a few month.

2. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

And there should be more to it than just another answer. He should be thrown into jail or face some other real consequence. A consequence that changes the scene and the NPCs there, too.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well there was no combat when I started the game or anything else. This game has been developed very slowly, and so many have had to do what they can to stay in the game. It is not a picture many can see. The chicken room you couldn't leave, no combat etc.

I want choices as were described in the early videos that make a difference as well where you either help your quest giver or perhaps you kill them or steal from them and then you pay for your choice if it is immoral. Perhaps you become a wanted criminal and find your name and picture on the NPC bulletin boards we don't have yet with a bounty if you are immoral enough.

Perhaps the NPC is tricking you and the item they give you is cursed and you don't discover it until you have left, and then they disappear and you have 48 hours to find the cure or you die or lose progress in a stat. Character verses the environment is important to me. Risky quests with good rewards are important. So far I don't see that part, but they are probably only at the cupboard building stage.;) So Being cursed means you feel ill by staggering etc. Perhaps the item you got has a name on it, so you must go on a search. Perhaps others won't know the answer because it is unique and ever changing which would be a first in any game.

4. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

I've cleaned up this thread. Leave the personal jabs out of the forums, thanks.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Has the moral system been added or is it on the road map to be added? Without the moral system I can't see how anything single player or PvP can be refined.

IMO the moral system is top priority. It's the key identifier for what makes SotA a spiritual successor. It also gives meaning and purpose to choices.

6. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

This was the appeal to me of SotA as well. The conflict of virtue. That the "truth vs love" dilemma we face many times a day in our own lives would break out into an all out war with both sides claiming the moral high ground.

I'd like to see the game run like a virtue whack-a-mole session when every attempt to do the "right thing" unraveled something else.

Kaisa and Ristra like this.
  7. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

The game quests and storylines are tailored and authored by Lum and Firelotus. The in-game tech that can bring the quest design into the game are done by the tech folks. The housing and and add-ons stuff are done by those graphic and designers. These two progressions are on separate pipelines. It's just one can be pushed out faster than the other.

8. Pikegirl

Pikegirl Avatar

The best thing we can give the game is to see its good points as well, take it in our own hands sometimes, spread its positive aspects and introduce new players into it if we get the chance to. I enjoyed the process of bringing all my friends into this imperfect shell but making it work for us.

New players will help the economy, the vision, the pvp and what not of SoTa.

No players = No game.

A new player you introduce and guide in the game is worth 10k of words in the forums.

9. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Ahem, this is not a topic about economy, PvP and so on - this is a topic about story, immersion, atmosphere ;)

10. manufacturedsoul

manufacturedsoul Avatar

The way I look at it we are the initial inhabitants of Novia. We are populating / setting up the world hopefully many others will join as the game gets refined and released. Hopefully this will mean when it's officially released and they actively market the game the new players will start in a world full of diversiveness and activity. Not some newbie land full of empty houses and vendors like we have now. A lot of the quests should be done by then and I believe British even said during the last telethon he wanted everyones questing to get wiped before final release so we can all start the quests fresh.

Everything we are doing and setting up now housing excetra will be what new players see and help them feel it's a viable world. These features are just as important as the story maybe even more as stories end and people move on what keeps people around is housing and community sadly it's really not the story. Stories just hopefully help get you hooked to the game long enough for the other aspects to sink in their teeth. While I do think story is important for the overall game as a whole I don't think there is anything to worry about unless they release ep1 and the story is still broken and trashed like it is now.

OP give it some time man daily posts saying the same thing over and over in different ways isn't constructive and to be honest you personally can't steer the game in any direction whatsoever that's a job for the community and devs as a whole not a job for one unhappy player with a questionable agenda.

11. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

When I see posts like this one, I begin to wonder if the idea that the game could actually fail by losing enough playerbase before the launch even happens has actually become a sort of subconscious goal for certain individuals. Although it's kind of hard to tell at this point, given that this is the first game to have final wipe before launch (im pretty sure.) Time will tell, I suppose.

In the meantime, if you don't like sounding negative, there is a solution. Just post your ideas for how to make the game better in the feedback forum, instead of posting your opinions on the current state of the game and demands of staff in general discussion.

12. Yipp

Yipp Avatar

The game is Alpha. This means it is a work in progress and not all features are in the game.
    Progress is limited by money, time, access to specific developers. The team is small, their focus has been to provide a reliable game to play. Sever stability? Yes. Crafting That works? Yes. PVE Combat that works? Yes.

Housing is a critical next step in the process of game reliability and sustainability.

In RL you need a home as a place to relax, recover, visit with friends, just chill when you do not want to venture forth in to life. It is no different in game. A home base allows players to craft, decorate, chill, appreciate little things about the game. Housing/POT's also allow communities to develop and build relationships. You can't have all the things that some people are clamoring for to be put in the game now, if players do not care what happens to a specific location on the map.

We always want everything right away, and all of us want different things now, choices/priorities need to be set based upon the factors of greatest need and the ability and resources available to accomplish each task. Have patience the developers are not ignoring anyone's needs they are just trying to focus on what is possible to accomplish that effects the most people in a positive way.

The most impressive aspect of what the developers have done is their ability to provide a stable persistent base that allows the vast majority of players who supported early development to "come along for the ride" as development progresses.

Ellrynn likes this.
  13. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

You are right. I was disappointed and it clouded my vision. I don't want to sound negative all the time.
    I do have an idea fir the game I will post later.

14. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

For many it's a conscious goal.

15. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'm rather new, so maybe I'm missing something here...

But haven't there been quarterly updates indicating what is the overall plan for the next 3 months? And if so, is anybody following up on those to show in retrospect how closely the plan was adhered to?

I can only assume that the dev team is well aware of all the aspects of a great game which are being discussed here and elsewhere. I don't think anybody should be taking it personally when "their" features aren't implemented yet.

Hey I chose Cooking as my main production skill before realizing that implementation was at like 10%. (Just throwing a number out there.) Now I know Cooking is a skill close to LB's heart as I saw a Hangout from a few years back with him talking all about it.

Then there's Agriculture... Which is fundamental to Cooking and seems even less implemented. Heck, I have yet to figure out where to buy carrots in South Paladis, and the ones I "borrowed" from the vendor tables won't even work in recipes.

So why aren't Cooking and Ag implemented? Who can say, but I seriously doubt it is because the devs don't "care" about it, or that hey don't "care" about me, or my player demographic.

Still... if the devs keep saying in their quarterly plans that such-and-such will be implemented, and then it gets pushed back multiple times, it would be fair to include more detailed notes about why the delay has occurred.

One thing is for sure... Leaving things up to people's imaginations in terms of expectations and timelines can only lead to disappointments.

Criticism of the devs is fine if it takes the form of pointing out that they have not held true to their own promises and commitments. But if I were to keep posting with complaints about why the devs aren't doing what *I* think they should be, that would amount to little more than whining.

Also keep in mind as pointed out earlier, there are different development tracks running simultaneously with actual IRL people at the helm. Somebody catching a cold or having unexpected family issue come up could easily set back progress in an area by a release or two.

We should go by what info is being communicated to us, and resist the temptation to fill in the gaps with our own projections and (possibly false) expectations. And if there isn't sufficient detail in the updates to make it clear what to expect or not expect, then it would be totally fair to ask for more detail in the future.

16. Sir Cabirus

Sir Cabirus Avatar

Do you really think that it is the fault of Lord_Darkmoon if this game fails? Do you really think that @Lord_Darkmoon has an interest that this game fails?

Pickley and Roycestein Kaelstrom like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

No, that would be silly.

However I do think that making the same threads over and over again, not being constructive, and constantly making multiplayer out to be the devil is not very helpful to the development of the game.

For people that want a robust single player experience, they should be giving feedback beyond "Why is it taking so long?" and "They broke a kickstarter promise!" These types of knee jerk reactions are very damaging to the community, and they undermine the development of the game.

I want the single player experience to be fantastic for the people that enjoy and expect that. But I don't want to put up with people complaining for years and end just because they are losing faith. We don't need more people starting "I'm losing faith" threads. That's not constructive, and honestly once someone has written that, do they need to keep writing a new one every day? I would say no, that would be silly.

This thread is not an "honest opinion" it's an opinion that honestly grew old many years ago. I WISH that it was about single player IDEAS and constructive feedback, but it's not. It's about one guy being tired of waiting - just like all the other threads that were made on this same subject.

I've been waiting for "meaningful pvp" for the same amount of time. We're not anywhere near "meaning" pvp yet. Should I just make 1000 threads about that?

I'm going to ask this question again because it perfectly explains what's going on here. What's the Underworld Ascendant single player experience like? What's the lore about?

We have no idea because they're busy making the game. The same thing is going on here, we're making the game. Why can't people just wait for the game to be made like the do with every other single player game?

18. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

Where did I indicate that I considered @Lord_Darkmoon to be consciously interested in the failure of this game?
    I simply stated that there seems to be a group of people who do... I made no statement or implication of who I might consider to be part of that group. To do so would be in violation of the Forum Policies on 'calling people out,' I would assume.

Baalice and jammaplaya like this.
  19. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

game aint gonna fail anyways sir son ^^

well he did admit that I was right so..

But I think in his case it's subconsciously rather than out of spite for Port.

SOTA has a learning curve. It can be frustrating for some players, especially now that final wipe happened and there's been many nerfs to protect the economy and so forth.

Sofar playing I have learned a lot, and one thing I've learned is that I will probably still be learning years after launch. If anyone is finding themselves becoming frustrated, I would suggest changing things up a little, or even a lot. This card system for example, is very interesting. It opens the door for literally hundreds of playstyles, having both this card system and no skill cap. Way better than a system of classes, because then you only have like 5-10 playstyles. Here you have hundreds, so of course balancing is a *****. But that also works in our favor! If your playstyle isn't working out just pick another one, some of them are pretty powerful, especially in a group.

I get it though, people can't just hit ''X'' in the fullscreen when they die, so instead they're alt-tabbing to the forums and writing novels.

The world is what you make of it. I challenge everyone who's intending on writing another depressing complaint thread in general discussion today to instead, pick one single gripe from the gameplay and post a solution for it in feedback. Hell, even think of an item you'd like to see, or a spell combination. Just something productive.

Black Tortoise likes this.
  20. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

To be fair, this is sort of a "strawman" tactic - you are not calling out someone specifically, but in a general way some people can construe it as such. No, you wouldn't call someone out in the forums (since you realize it's a violation of the forum rules), however, if you make a general statement like that it can APPEAR that you are calling someone out, without, you know, actually calling them out.

Pickley and Sir Cabirus like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.