Brand New Player

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by thesometimeslurker, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thesometimeslurker

thesometimeslurker Avatar

Hello,

I just bought this game and I'm wondering how I can effectively get started in game. I'm going to be trying to play a mage, though I'm not quite sure how the skill progression works. In essence, here is what I'm trying to figure out:

Progression system: How does it work?
    Getting started: What is an efficient way to craft and make money? What should I be concerned with at early levels?
    Playing a Mage: How are all the different schools in terms of balance? Are there any pets, and if so, which are the best ones?

If anyone can recommend me any links to videos/articles/forum posts that will help out immensely too!

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hell and welcome. you should go to the telethon. If you spend $5 you will be amazed at the account bound telethon rewards you would win. I am Majoria in game if I can ever be of assistance. Here is the home link and only about an hour left of the telethon to contribute.https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/?page_id=29385

Time Lord, Perashim and Stahlknecht like this.
  3. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Here is a fantastic deck building tutorial.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/deck-building-tutorial.90979/#post-819022
    This is a use base skill progression. We have taming and we have summon-able elementals that most require you to do a quest to get them. You can actually do what ever you like. This is a classless game. There are a few common commands. 'z' toggles combat and refreshes health and focus faster. 'f' is friends to add friends and right clicking a friends name gives choices as well as right clicking another player shows options. 'b' is your recipe book and remember other players can trade some recipes with you to save you gold. Other recipes are discovered in your travels from chests you find or from what you kill.

'o' is our emotes and some are also trade-able from other players and some are received from talking to npcs throughout the world. 'j' is for your journal. You can use the 'e' key to interact with things in this game. (Red trees, ore nodes, loot, chests, wells etc). If you have property you can do planting.

Also the rental system will come in next release, but if you want a place to stay while you get your footing I am happy to help. Ask me questions anytime and friend Majoria in-game. Best wishes. I hope you enjoy your time. There is so much to tell you would not believe.

5. Stahlknecht

Stahlknecht Avatar

Welcome Perashim !!

Time Lord and Perashim like this.
  6. Tanglewood

Tanglewood Avatar

I would suggest starting to do some of the quests to get some experience, and get in touch with some hospitallers or people who are willing to help new players on the forums and discord :)
    Once the new rental system comes out next release you should be able to find someone willing to rent out a room for free or for a small fee of in game gold. There are plenty of player owned towns where people are happy to have new residents :)

Good luck and Welcome!

7. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Time Lord, Perashim and majoria70 like this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

Trying a quick answer on mobile.

2 wands are unfortunatelly more effective than 1 staff.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/2-wands-versus-1-staff.87487/

A lot of "Mages" also use a Shield and/or a chainmail chest armor.

I'm doing fine with a staff and full cloth armor set, but it's not the optimun from a gamemechanics view, but i am a roleplayer, so apperamce is more important to me than effective numbers.

All xp you earn are Pool XP
    Hit K and see what is your Pool down right.
    It's good to have a high Pool.
    With further gameplay you will have +100k to 1 Million Pooled xp or more.

Skills set on learn take x% of the pool on use or if relevant actions take place.

Build up some Pool. Learn only one or two skills at the same time to 40 and do so for all skills. Then to 60... 80.
    100 GM isn't that important and use a lot of xp.
    I am still working on getting all my skills to 80.
    There are exelsheets around, dont have a link atm ready, maybe search the forums with keyword like skill progression e.g.

It's helpfull to unlock as many skills as you can of a tree, as you get higher Attunement.
    So if you Plan to be a Fire, Deathmage or a Water, Lifemage or whatever unlock all skills even if you dont use them all the time.

Learn all Stats Buffs from Sun (Int), Earth (Str) and Air (Dex), maybe begin to learn innates in Subterfuge (Dex), Focus (Int) and Strategy (Str) you will need them all at least. You maybe later want to learn all Magic Schools just to be more resistant (i dont do it, for RP Reasons and i hope this will be nerfed).
    There are no more diametral effects between magic trees.
    But there is a Death skill (Tap Soul) who negatively effects Life Magic (heals) iirc.
    I for myself concentrate on Air, Moon, Water and Life.
    Most effective is or was death, Fire and earth magic. Sometime ago Air was strong. There were some nerfs and some buffs to Schools.
    A lot of people use fire and Death or Earth.

Use and develop low tier Damage Spells to reduce Reagent Costs.

Some creatures are highly resistent against magic. Some more some less.
    It's not wise to fight a Fire elementar with Fire magic.

The summons recently get buffed, as they didnt become better while skilling.
    They now become more resistant against damage, as their HP increase with Skilllevel, but damage or effects do not increase.
    They are helpfull here and there, but not too powerfull or imba/ OP.
    I like my Summons and use them from time to time as they support me slightly.
    The Air Ele does some ranged damage and has good HP. The Wisp has debuffs and some CC. The Water elemental is usefull in the beginning because it has ranged damage plus healing. The Ice Elementar is a tank like the Earth Ele.

I dont know much about the other Summons.

Some Tutorials, but there are some others.
    Cannot find actually more...

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/sota-tutorials-in-10-mins-or-less.82162/

To get money, save reagents. Grind :rolleyes:

9. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Welcome Perashim!!!

It looks like everyone has already taken good care of you.

I can offer you a link to my many twitch streams, lets you see a lvl 55 and lvl 95 character out killing things and doing every day normal things in the game. Should give you a lot of ideas on how to get along in game:

https://www.twitch.tv/2112starman/videos/all

10. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game! :)

11. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

More experienced folks have and can give you better advice. I consider myself a perpetual beginner even though I've been here since day one. But welcome to New Britannia!

12. thesometimeslurker

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm glad a lot of people here are very helpful! I'm curious about Chaos Magic though, especially the summoned Daemon, how good is Chaos Magic right now?

13. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I think it might be more of a PvP magic than the others.

14. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

Chaos magic is in sore need of attention. You need obsidian chips to cast, which are expensive. And if you could summon a daemon, I don't think there is yet any way to control it. Also several of the spells are only effective against other players.

I have a beginner's guide posted in this subforum. It is not complete, but the skills section is fairly done, and includes links to where you can find even more details.

Welcome to SotA! :)

P.S. Two wands are currently more effective than a staff, however this will get balanced hopefully soon.

You might also want to consider a "shield mage" early on otherwise you can easily get overwhelmed by a mob swarm.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
  15. thesometimeslurker

Thanks for letting me know about the current status of Chaos Magic. How is the Taming Skill line though (how expensive is it to get into, and do the pets you pick up scale with your level or do they level up on their own?)

Time Lord likes this.
  16. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I don't know much about Taming as I haven't delved into it at all. I believe that what you can tame is based on your skill level. Pretty sure a creature, once tamed, does not level any further.

Magic elementals DO scale with the level of your skill now, however they didn't at all up until the last release due to a bug. Might be more balancing in store there.

@Duke Gréagóir wrote a guide to taming that you might find helpful. It is a few months old, but AFAIK no changes have been made to the taming system since it was written. I do think it is relatively expensive to get into.

17. thesometimeslurker

Thank you very much for the link to the guide. Right now I'm just trying to decide on what I want to focus on.

18. skeggy Media

skeggy Media Avatar

Perashim and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.