Bro, do you even Role Play???

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Owain, Aug 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

TL;DR

HA HA STUPID PVPERS, YOU WANT IMMERSION? HAHA NO WAY THIS TIME IS GONE, NOW GO GRIND SOME DRAGONS! WOOOO!

This post is so full of bitterness that it actually reeks. It is unpleasant to read.
    You post the opinion of someone who is clearly, what they call, "butthurt". Some guy who got bitter because he could not deal with the challenges of a heavily immersive open MMO world.
    I hope I never get to read any of his posts again, because they are, clearly, crap.

And yes I am probably gonna get another warn from the mods for this because bashing at casual-oriented forum members is frowned upon on these forums (because most of those forume members donated quite alot of cash to the game, i assume).

But the fact stays, this is just some post from a bitter looser who could not deal with the harshness of the game. While thousands upon thousands of players were able to deal with it and had a ton of fun playing UO. Wait, how were they able to do that? Why this bitter guy couldn't?

blaquerogue and Moonshadow like this.
  2. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Thank you, redfish.
    If there's plenty of opportunities for grief, templar will be there to make the life of his forum opponents miserable.

3. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

That person is the Dev Lum :)

4. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hey some of the things that guy is complaining about are legit even from an immersion standpoint.

For instance --- if someone steals your key but you own the deed to your property, you should be able to get the legal authorities to kick them out of your house. That was kind of my criticism of UO, that these kind of things were so unbalanced as to not be realistic anymore. The problem wasn't that players were allowed to do this kind of stuff -- be evil, etc. -- but that it was unbalanced in favor of the evil people.

Toxic_Knight and blaquerogue like this.
  5. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

>only choice could be log off

Explain. In my experience log off was never the only choice.
    Other alternatives included SPENDING MORE TIME TO GO RES SOMEWHERE FARTHER AWAY AND GO TO THE BANK GET DRESSED UP. Yes, it took more time. But you gotta understand - you can't have a good game if you are not ready to devote time.
    You can't have it all in a plate in seconds in a good game. Teleporting to dungeons. Teleporting to any city at any time. Teleporting everywhere. Never being on the losing side, never having to spend time on stuff like traveling and farming new items. You just can't have all these luxuries in an immersive game.

All those people who oppose me on the forums - they all essentially want the same thing. They want things to be EASY and to happen FAST. They HATE delays, they hate DOING SOMETHING, putting EFFORT. They just want to be served the content of the game while they sit and do as few actions as possible.

This is basically the generation of console gaming. Press X and the game plays itself, you just sit and watch.
    And this also is the generation that is in their 30s + now, guys who want to have some fun after work but don't want it to take much time.

has R.G. come to this? making games for these kinds of people? Sigh.

blaquerogue likes this.
  6. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Really? I had no idea. Ooh, I should probably delete my post now before I get the banhammer up my a...ccount. So scary.
    Meh.
    No matter who said it, even if it was R.G. itself I would have said the same. Because a point like the point of that article is clearly a bad sign. And people with such opinions will never be able to create a good and immersive game.
    I'm sorry.

7. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

That is true.
    To be honest, i didnt actually read the whole post. I read a few sentences containing mainly whining. Hehe.

Of course some of the issues were horrible (like the one you described).
    Why weren't they dealt with swiftly by the dev team back then?

blaquerogue likes this.
  8. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

1. I visit the forums a couple of times a month.
    2. Why do you think you should be allowed to insult me like that?

blaquerogue likes this.
  9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Are you sure it some bitter guy or is first hand insight into the complaints of the people in the mass exodus of pre-Tram UO.

Noctiflora likes this.
  10. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

read ->

blaquerogue likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Yes, I see that you acknowledge that there are always issues that will allow people to exploit the system. These need to be address in a timely manner.

Till the system is perfect people will not subject themselves to PvP. Nothing anyone can do about that.

12. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

You really come off sounding like such a nice guy. So funny that it was Lum who wrote that.

13. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

But I am nice. I care about the game and about MMORPGS in general. There are not many people like me.

blaquerogue likes this.
  14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I can vouch for that as well! He is nice. Most of us are, if given half the chance without degradation! :) your still my bro, bro!

TemplarAssassin likes this.
  15. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

Sorry, but these statements have me scratching my head a bit.

The first one, the rezzing somewhere further away....if I'm following this discussion, you guys are discussing UO and the post by Lum here? In UO, in the so-called glory days, you didn't have a choice of where to rez exactly. Your ghost appeared at your corpse and had to run to somewhere to rez. In the case of the corpse stranded on an island, even logging off wasn't an option. The only option was calling a GM.

On this statement........"You can't have it all in a plate in seconds in a good game. Teleporting to dungeons. Teleporting to any city at any time. Teleporting everywhere. Never being on the losing side, never having to spend time on stuff like traveling and farming new items. You just can't have all these luxuries in an immersive game. " .......... Seems to me you have got that back-arsewards where UO was concerned. These things were all part of pre-Trammel UO that you guys all keep remembering with such fondness and claiming to be the most perfect system ever devised. All the teleporting was a huge part of the tools of the pks trade. And the never being on the losing side, since they generally ran in packs, was very much part of their game. The never having to spend time on stuff like farming new items, that describes pks to a tee. They just take it away from someone who did spend time farming new items and/or resources to make said items.

And this..............."They want things to be EASY and to happen FAST. They HATE delays, they hate DOING SOMETHING, putting EFFORT. They just want to be served the content of the game while they sit and do as few actions as possible.".................hmm, yup, that describes the pks I remember so well from early UO, not the pve/pvmers. They don't want to do anything but sit around and kill people and take what they've spent all their time doing. Putting what effort? Building up fighting skills? Thought fighting was what you guys enjoy. Isn't that doing what you enjoy in a game? Seems to me it's the full loot people who don't want to do anything or put any effort into anything. They just want to take it away from someone who did.

And as usual I will add my disclaimer that I make a very clear distinction between pvpers who enjoy a healthy competition with others of like mind, and pks/griefers. I have friends who enjoy competition/pvp, but they are by no means griefers or pks and do not promote bullying.

16. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

And right there is the issue I have, TIME. No issue with taking time to do something, nor with having to redo it on occasion. Heck, despite what some think from my arguments in the past, I even support the concept of full loot. It's being forced to entertain someone else at expense of my entertainment that I find annoying. Getting killed once and even full looted, no problem.. Maybe a couple of times in a long play session, sure. Getting killed 3,4,5+ times between each town just trying to run the roads between all the towns of UO to see the sights of Britannia, being dry looted of all my gear right off the bat, finally ending with getting rez killed until I logged because I had absolutely nothing for them to look... That makes no sense to me. And if I wasn't young, and between deployments with time on my hands I would have uninstalled and never touched the game again. I didn't, but now my life has changed, and I don't have the time to waste being someone's entertainment in the hopes I can squeeze in some personal entertainment.

So I'm glad SOTA has optional PVP, so I can play the game I want, when I want. If I want to PVP, I gear up for PVP and go, if not I gear up for whatever else and do that.

Full loot is another story. If the punishment was severe enough, and ways to avoid the punishment, to make it so the ones that opt for that life are few and far between and the potential for having to deal with things like my example above almost unheard of, I'm in. I've bounced ideas and played devil's advocate for and against full loot trying to brainstorm. I posted a idea about looting and item affinity that used some of them. Like tieing the criminal flag to the items taken flagging anyone in possession of them, including your house vendors, opening them up to PVP attacks. So you can't pass on your ill gotten gains to a "good" character.

Toxic_Knight likes this.
  17. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Just quoting this post again in case someone missed it :=)

blaquerogue likes this.
  18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

They are not creating StoA to fix UO.

Archibald Leatherneck likes this.
  19. Dhailen

Dhailen Avatar

Open PVP for all doesn't cure gear grind, it makes it worse. After grinding to get better gear or gold to buy better gear, you get ganked and have to start over... That is player forced grinding.

Silent Strider likes this.
  20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Good thing SotA has open PvP, I guess we don't have to worry about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.