Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

card system: who likes it?

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by ThurisazSheol, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

I finally did the tour guide quest yesterday, after crashing more times than I can count (that still isn't fixed, whether it's my end or not, oh well). Because of that, I had no choice but to try combat with the npcs, of course (and died a dozen+ times). I only used the locked deck because I am a total newbie, unable to stay logged in long enough to do anything like build or plan skills.

I have to say, the locked deck is absolutely no option for anyone. If they wanted to force people to "choose" the random deck, they've succeeded in that endeavor. The fact you can't even use your heal potion because the entire locked deck, including potions, cools down all together is utter nonsense.

Watching videos of the random deck, it simply does not appeal to me at all. You'd be so busy watching which cards pop up that you don't even watch what's going on around you. I suppose that forces someone to use their creativity in which cards to choose, but when it's real time combat, it makes no sense to me. So essentially, combat in the game is not appealing to me.

(side note: I was finally able to get the reward for the quest, and the person helping me said I was stubborn, persisting through as many crashes as they witnessed. Thanks Nuvera for helping me!!)

licemeat and Joviex like this.
  2. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Though i prefer the random draw, one thing that the locked deck has going for it is that you only need to pay for level one of each non-inate skill that you want to use. This leaves allot of extra points to pile into strength or intelligence.

3. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

So, if everyone remains positive, the dev team thinks their design is flawless, and will continue developing what a lot of people don't want.

Makes sense.

licemeat likes this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I would be careful in saying a lot.

5. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

If only roughly 10% of registered users are complaining, it's an indication of how large the issue becomes.

mike11 and licemeat like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't really agree with that....we don't even have 10% of registered users posting at all.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  7. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

That isn't necessarily the case.

Let's say you want to use an active ability like Riposte. In a random glyph setup, you may buy that skill 4 times to put in your deck. With a locked bar you may think you only need to buy the skill once to put it in a locked slot. However it has a very expensive focus cost that way. If you buy the skill multiple times for a locked slot, then the focus cost is reduced. So you should still buy that skill multiple times if you want to use it a lot.

Themo Lock likes this.
  8. Shadefox

Shadefox Avatar

I like it alot. I see alot of potential in it to create interesting things to come, too. Feels new and fun, and you really can outsmart it in many ways.

Themo Lock likes this.
  9. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

*sigh* - you fight the good fight and the trolls come out to play....

there is a difference between a positive attitude in a bug report, than a negative attitude in a bug report. - one offers suggestions, trying to be productive, while the other just whines and complains which sends the message "you sucked at this, fix it. fix it now. i don't care. but this is just *stamps foot* wrong!"

which would you prefer to hear when someone is talking about your code, an intelligent and constructive response, or a 3 year olds rant?

it is one reason in the QA field they prefer if you REMOVE EMOTION in your reports, because they don't want people to over-react and think they want everything to be all sunshine and rainbows.

10. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I so did not notice that.

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Slugs are boring and the defensive abilities arnt being used much they should be passive imop with a chance to proc. Higher the chance the more points because whose gonna take 5 dodges and 5 tumbles as it is. People prefer cc over dodges and attacks over any defensive ability. Root or gust have better utility.

12. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

13. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

licemeat - troll somewhere else please.

Morkul and enderandrew like this.
  14. mike11

mike11 Avatar

I really wish the Deck was more like Magic, but it's not. It's barley 2% of the depth that that system has, really. Both in ability lore and description and in ability depth as far as different Stat's and game systems go...

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  15. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Oh..I'm sorry. I didn't realize I wasn't allowed to state my opinion here. I will only post things you agree with from here on out. Thank you for being my guide.

Joviex likes this.
  16. Caliya

Caliya Avatar

Exactly. So that shows how serious the issue becomes - if only 100 people are complaining, of the 200 people posting regularly (don't know exact figures, but see the same names often enough, it's a very low count), that means the issue is far more of a problem than is expressed in the forums.

For example, yesterday was the first day I actually did any combat at all. Based on my experience, if every new player that comes along and plays it with the locked system, they won't continue playing the game. They will not post or complain. They'll simply disappear. Is that what we want, if the game is going to be a success? I don't think so.

Some of us stick around to express a need, in order to continue interest in playing the game. There's a lot of people who are negative, like me, but it's because we want to see the game succeed (believe it or not). Who wants to have wasted their money on an investment? I'd rather be able to be happy with the game than complain.

There are things I'm impressed with. And I know it's still very early in the game, where things that are important can be changed. Otherwise, I'd just go away. If the combat system will remain as it is, I will not play this game. But if I have hope it will change, I'll stick around.

Borg and Joviex like this.
  17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Actually people who find something to complain about generally post more on the forums....squeeky wheel and all..

But whatever, I hope they tweak it enough for you to enjoy it...I think it is pretty cool idea where you are less focused on exact skills and more on the flow of combat...but that's me.

tekkamansoul likes this.
  18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

c'mon man...there's so many other threads out there that agree with what you are saying... lets keep it positive here, instead of negative. that's my point.

19. licemeat

licemeat Avatar

Ok..ok..I was trolling the second post. I can't help myself with this topic, though. I think SotA is one of the greatest projects to ever happen. But the combat in this game is amiss. I won't go into it as you have said... there are many threads out there. I love just about everything they have developed so far except this deck system. And i'm not "kind of against it". . . I freakin' HATE IT. I debate selling my founder LM account all the time over it. I feel it will be that much of a downfall that it is a liability. I want to let others know it's ok to be against it and they don't have to like it just because so many others are going with the flow. But... as you have requested, as OP, I will not debate in here. I just wanted to explain that I wasn't a troll. Take care. See ya in game.

Flip, Joviex and ThurisazSheol like this.
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

honesty at this level of detail like this is what we need, no matter the result or opinion. - thanks!

if the card system were simply just an option, would you still be this strongly opposed to it? or is the simple fact that it exists int he game, enough to turn you off of the game entirely?

reason i ask - i like options. if what we have now is the end-all-be-all of the combat systems (i hope not!), would you consider the inclusion of the card system, and the inclusion of the static system a fair compromise for the people who like it one way or the other?

What about if there was a CLEAR delineation between the two, instead of the way the UI is currently designed so it isn't easy to tell one from the other?

i'm personally of the opinion that we need options, and not ONE WAY to do things.. but those options need to be fair to themselves and to the other methods at the same time, so no single method has a superior advantage over another based on game content - but the PLAYER can decide which method to use, based on THEIR opinion, and play styles. - see, i always felt baskin robbins was far superior to TCBY yogrut - not because of the type of cold cremes they had, but because of the flavors and combinations they offered.

what say you? - i ask because you so far have been the only one who's opposed of it to take the proverbial step back from emotion and look at it logically and in a detached manner. which is desperately needed to either make it different, and better....

the old static system needs to be updated and innovated.. got any ideas?

WrathPhoenix and licemeat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.