Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

card system: who likes it?

Discussion in 'Release 12 Feedback' started by ThurisazSheol, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Advantages:
    1. powerful combos are available
    2. Less focus cost (so more DPS)

Disadvantage:
    1. Randomness

2. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

That is typical of all issues. The ones who are "against it" are obviously going to make a ruckus, while those "for it" are simply in enjoying/playing the game and don't have time to bother arguing.

It is the "squeaky wheel" effect, and I hope that the devs are basing their decisions on more than what is occurring on these forums (ie: such as how many people are using the random draw system in-game). :)

3. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

well said, and i completely agree - i know they have a sort of network monitoring system in place where they can effectively "play back" certain aspects of our experiences, to see how things go from our side of the fence but that doesn't give them the full context of how we enjoy it, or if we are only using it due to it being more advantageous to do so.. that's where we come in with the feedback.

4. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Problem is that forums like this one don't work like that. If you take a general look on the forum you see more threads/posts about features that players are negative about than you see threads/posts that are positive.

Edit: Also worth to notice that those that post on this board only represents like 10% (Less?) of the backers.

5. Culann

Culann Avatar

Randomness is good...locked glyph cool downs suck...ergo I like the deck system as is.

6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

then don't be a part of the problem, become a part of the solution. :) not saying don't' report the bugs, just keep positive about it.

the problem is, these forums are designed primarily to assist with the development procdess from us to the devs. - most of which is negative feedback - i think we'd agree there. but i ask you this - WHY does it HAVE to be that way? why not have some positives too?

honestly, i adore all the theorycrafting being done on these forums. i've lost DAYS worth of work just happily reading along.

majoria70 likes this.
  7. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

It is my experience that such is the case in almost every single game forum I have been in...

8. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Yes, I know but developers need to take all users into consideration and sometimes it's hard to know what the general opinion is.

9. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Which, I believe, is the thing we're both trying to point out

As here,

So everywhere!

:p

10. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

All the more reason to make a system to gather that information.

On log in you are prompted to vote on a number of issues, from the developers, rather than some under sampled junk, in a forum, that developer's may "scan" but not read, or even engage.

Forums are fine for the mass of voices all trying to be the best at making their point, as a game. Fact is, forums are horrible messes of directionless debate (*in most cases without heavy moderation and guidance -- there are some*)

It has been this way since the days of Galacticomm BBS (Fazuul 4ever -- RIP Mr. Stryker)!!

First thing you need to eliminate is the major penchant for hyperbole. Most posts drip with it =p

Cheers

Caliya and Shadoweaver like this.
  11. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

When it came down to combat, I was very much in favor of something innovative. Like most backers, I did not want the typical WoW style fighting. I heard about card combat and on paper, it sounded promising. It would eliminate cheating (hopefully) and add an element of the unknown. Theoretically, a lower level character may have a chance to beat a higher level one. That all sounded great.

Then I used it. I patiently waited release after release to give it a chance. My conclusion is: it's just not fun. I'm glad some people are enjoying it. Unfortunately, I am not. I sit there staring at the random skills popping up and down instead of focusing on the actual combat taking place. I cringe now when I see a confrontation coming up. I know that the card combat minigame is about to begin.

I won't say this is a deal breaker. I'm a loyal SotA backer and I'm hoping that either they'll change the combat system to something all of us can enjoy.. or maybe the rest of the game will be good enough to take my mind off the monotonous wack-a-skill combat. I'm hoping for the best... but not really expecting it anymore.

12. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I think "card system" is a misnomer and I actually really like it. I wish the interface for combos was easier. I like the freedom of choosing random glyphs, a locked bar or a hybrid approach.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Just have to say.. really liking the deck combat system. I sound like a pro wrestling announcer every time i get a combo out and it really adds to my enjoyment of the game. " SAWBLADE SWEEP! OUTA NOWHERE!!"

ThurisazSheol and Keira OFaolain like this.
  14. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I like the locked Bar.I have over 120 points in Focus and that helps.

Tahru likes this.
  15. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

that's a whole lotta points galiwyn. wow. personally I'd have chosen more alternatives in the skill lines than just that, but if your conviction to the locked skill line bar is that strong, more power to ya. :)

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  16. Joviex

Joviex Avatar

I think some fail to understand why others like locked.

Remember, not all of us give .02 about PvP. Locked bars in PvE, even without sinking ridiculous points into Focus, is perfectly fine ATM ** for most class choices (in the non-class game, right? o_O )

There is just nothing compelling about random skills to me. I know what I know, fog of war is not random, WAR is random. WAR != my skill choices.

You want to emulate the fog of battle, make the battle more dynamic, dont try to emulate it with MY skills.

That requires a level of interaction with the environment we are not going to get, like a M&B style combat.

Cheers.

licemeat, Caliya and ThurisazSheol like this.
  17. stile

stile Avatar

To OP: love it

ThurisazSheol and enderandrew like this.
  18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i personally count myself as a pve player, not pvp. but i still like the random card setup. i think part of the reason i do like it, is it is new and fresh and somewhat different. some people just get tired of the same old mmo tropes everyone uses.. this keeps things interesting along those lines.

if i were to lock everything, and i have, i'd have fun yes. but not as much engaging fun as with the random deck, for that reason.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
  19. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I have that many points in Focus because I am NOT a Fighter, but exploring requires it. So i want to be prepared with the items i KNOW how to use..Simple Sword and Board for me..And with that many Focus points I have taken on over 10 Skeletons, without worrying about my Focus running out..Health is also a reason to have so many points there. Without Focus for the Health items, I would have died.

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  20. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

i have a guildie that always tries to play without combat - and having your same setup may actually be VERY beneficial to him in that respect.

Lord-Galiwyn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.