1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

Concept Art: The Oracle

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by caravaggiosWolf (Dev), Jan 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

I wouldn't think it would be that easy, Ronan o_O The Oracle obviously has some sort of maintenance droids scurrying about in the Temple and probably some hulking sentinel droids skulking about in the shadows, ready to spring into action to defend her...

Am I right, Stephen?

Time Lord, smack, Kuno Brauer and 2 others like this.
  2. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

The Oracle see and knows everything that happens in New Britannia. The Screens are so she can keep up with her daytime shows on Earth like the Young and the Restless. :)

Time Lord, smack, Dame Lori and 8 others like this.
  3. Maka

Maka Avatar

I'm beginning to wonder if she isn't watching so much as searching...

Time Lord, smack, Dame Lori and 5 others like this.
  4. Gabriel Nightshadow

5. redfish

redfish Avatar

Well, looking at all the art and reading all the lore, I'm wondering if the Oracle's 'confessionals' are really one of the main sources of her information, which she then uses to make herself seem all powerful, and worth of confessing things to. Making her like a Wizard of Oz figure.

Time Lord, smack, Maka and 2 others like this.
  6. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Yes, I'd be willing to bet that the 'all knowing' idea is a means to control people's behaviors, but in actuality, there are gaps in what she can observe. The monitors could be one of those observations that requires active attention, as opposed to the ones that are tied directly into her systems that may alert her when things are going on.

Time Lord, smack, Maka and 2 others like this.
  7. Kuno Brauer

Kuno Brauer Avatar

How about something like this:

8. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

I thought the watchers were creepy when I saw their concept. But they look darn cute next to the oracle. :eek:

Love it.

Time Lord, Eriador, rild and 6 others like this.
  9. redfish

redfish Avatar

I looked up 'round screen' on Google, I didn't realize these things were made by Zenith,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Of course, all old CRT screens used to have rounded corners, even if they were rectangular in shape.

[​IMG]

We're all getting used to LCDs.

Why do older TVs have round screens? "The screen is rounded so most of the screen is about the same distance away from the photon gun."

10. Fireangel

Fireangel Avatar

@caravaggiosWolf (Dev) - Whoa!

I had a doctor's appointment today, so I'm watching today's show late. That image is so... surreal, and... cold. I'm not as horrified by the tech-spiders as 'real' spiders, but the whole thing together, is very,... paranormal. *ponders*

11. Hazard

Hazard Avatar

Very curious. Now I'm starting to wonder what British's role is (or was) in all of this given the main temple is based out of Brittany.

12. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Puppet? Resistance? Playing along until he builds a force that can free the land?

13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Perhaps we should ask how he survived the Fall, and is even alive how many centuries later...

Conspiracy ? Or Lord British Robot Overlord ?

You decide.

14. redfish

redfish Avatar

Is it possible he returned to his spaceship to escape the cataclysm? Ancient alien theorists say yes.

15. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Oh, good one! :D

16. Gabriel Nightshadow

The Oracle is probably far too powerful for Lord British to defeat on his own! (He may even be under her mental control :eek: Neural implants really come in handy for enslaving people...) That's why he's waiting for you to arrive to do the heavy lifting (as always) ;) Of course, the Obsidians complicate things even further! Where does their allegiance lie? So much intrigue! Ah, the role playing possibilities! How exciting :D

17. TheLarper

TheLarper Avatar

To tecky for me don't fit theme here.

18. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Earthlings always age slower than the rest of Sosaria/Britannia/New Britannia. My question is how he somehow looks YOUNGER than he did in U9. Your robot theory might explain that.

19. Gabriel Nightshadow

He's an imposter :eek: The real Lord British is either a) in hiding, b) being held captive (probably by The Oracle), or c) in stasis (still recovering from near fatal wounds he sustained during the Great Cataclysm 400 years ago, according to my origin story).

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

I've been reading up on gems for my magical ingredients list, and I came onto a thought as I was reading about cat's eye. Gems sometimes have optical effects. One type is asterism, where the stone exhibits a luminous star on its surface, which you see in gems like star-sapphire. Another is chatoyancy, which is a cat's eye effect.. something that can be found on gems of many different colors...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So, I was looking around if there was a version with a black pupil. Of course, some gems have banding, like varieties of onyx, but I couldn't find something similar.

A snake's eye is a model for the red eye,

[​IMG]

so I looked up "snake's eye gem" but couldn't find anything real. However, I did find various fantasy gems called "snake's eye," "serpent's eye," and most commonly, "dragon's eye."

[​IMG]

This made me think about what the spider and fly's eyes were made from.. and whether they could be made from "dragon's eye" gems that exist in the game world.

Of course, lore stated that gems would also transform into one another given the right conditions, since some stones had half one gem and half another... so they might start out with regular, clear crystal spheres, and transform into dragon's eye gems. Or they could possibly transform again into a third state, when the creature dies.

Or it could be derived from a different type of stone. The carbuncle, a red stone, was considered a good gem for receiving and absorbing celestial or arcane forces.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.