Consensual pvp???? Stay a While and Listen Why this is no fun.....

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by gonzo9002, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

either players being able to flag for PvP anywhere and with player towns that have open PvP, there is no reason why PvPers should back away from this game.

Silent Strider likes this.
  2. Rondar

Rondar Avatar

I am a roleplayer also and the one role I am not willing to play is the victim. PvE is rolplaying too.;)

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What you describe here is premised on "protecting" noobs. Yet, at the same time, extorting profit from them. Focusing experience players onto new players like this kills new player retention.

Silent Strider, Sophi, Gaelis and 2 others like this.
  4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

What it looks like here is since they are not touting the mantra "FULL LOOT and FULL OPEN PVP" you count everything out as none of what you are wanting is possible. What you seek is available to you.

Full loot is not on the table but there is plenty of room for MORE loot. PvP contested hexes are set at 1 items with a ransom. They have left room for the Open PvPers to be able to loot more. What if they set the looting to X number of items? At what point does it not matter any more and is acceptable.

It's easy enough for them to show 50%, for example, of the items as lootable and the remaining 50% as broken. You would never know the difference if it was 100% or 50%.

5. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

No more PVP threads. Instead, we need more Shrubbery!!!!

Sophi, Spoon, Arianna and 3 others like this.
  6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It seems we have a new PVP thread daily...wonder if they should all get merged.

7. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

agreed ^^^

Time Lord likes this.
  8. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

stange most players i know get motivated through those mechanics , to get a name in the game themsefv and change the world, maybe even like the idea ,and can ask to join later and get pvp training.
    i even remember most player wrote me gg later on in town even when i murdered them at the bridge before, and i didnt even got murdercounts because they mostly attack me first when i tell them they have to pay to cross the bridge XD

in mortal you just need to get rich and can change things someone grifing you, make a post in the forum stop ,or i siege all your structures , because i am rich and can hire pvp guys.
    or just do it silent without announcement but then people might not like you anymore XD

or join one of the most famous farming guilds who sell materials cheep to pvp guilds so most player wont harm you , who would kill there buisness partner

the oracle thing is a nice idea problem is , "non open world pvp" flagged people will be also visible in your world ... which you cant attack, i dont like that, this mechanic breaks immersion + some mebers of guilds could flag themself as pve only and farm a spot save and get an advantage of players which are always flagged for pvp. which cause gold to be less valuable because you cant prevent botting !!!! if pvp economy is separated i dont care, i hate botters destoying the game economy !! and maybe be able to take influence in pvp. if someone sell gold he farmed i dont care but only in pvp world

dont do the same fault like with ultima online

trammel was good idea but made several people ragequit the game and dislike why ??
    -economy was not separated
    -farmed materials from trammel could be brought and used in fellucca.
    -even people from pvp guilds farmed there mats in savezone and brought them to felluca, - this destoyed every single vendor in feluccia and made felluca dungeons less populated , because people farmed in trammel ebem pvp guys. thats why trammel ruined the game not because it existed the idea was good

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    why not separate them in different hexes with a separated economy and houses, that they only share towns. that it cost gold to unflag you from pvp or that the materials farmed "as non pvp flagged" get flagged themself as "pve only" useless for pvp they should only have defencive values against mobs not players.

that would give roleplaying pvper /normal pvpers and just people who like the thrill and the immersion of a harsh world a way to play the game like they like it . a lot of ultima online player liked that hassh world and player driven economy with full loot setting.

at the same time the pve guys can be in there own instances and economy (trammel like)
    but wont destoy pvp or take infuence about it and cant sell exploited stuff from china farmers and botters

9. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

when you cant roleplay is one thing , game economy is something different. i always enjoyed to be a wanted crafter who sell my stuff.
    when i go pvp with my friends, i want come back with loot for my village, and some player heads for the woman to cook. its just more fun to roam, if you know everything can happen , maybe get a big loot if you have luck or loose your stuff.

when i want to make much pvp non stop i join an arena or duel where you wont loose your stuff and can train pvp save without risking your gear (which would make high valuable materials and alloys valuable) noone would use them in open world pvp becuase they are too rare but in the arena.

LOVED the serverdown in ultima online , last 20 minutes nothing got saved, all people runnign out of town with there best vanq weapons best armors and pets like dragons and caused a pvp massaker.

this system satisfied all players

open pvp without risk at serverdowns to use you best equip and made everyone want a superweapon he wont use in normal pvp

and the rest of the day open world full loot pvp was genious the best mechanic ever

10. Net

Net Avatar

What ruined the game were metagamers in that case. If people really liked the PvP they would stay in Felucca, but since they wanted to have every possible advantage over their enemies no matter what they went to Trammel. I am not sure if it is common to minority or majority of PvPers but it seems to me that many like PvP only as long as they are winning and sometimes they do everything for victory, even sacrifice PvP for a while so when they get back to it, they can win.

So Trammel just showed that people are not interested in PvP as much as they are interested in winning. I am not blaming them, I just want to point it out:)

11. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

This

12. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This is not UO, using Fel/Tram as an example is apple to oranges. There are multiple differences that completely skews the logic you are using.

To keep from having to detail out every single one of them I will summarize it with this one - What kind of economy do they want?

UO had a PvP centric economy. Was it intended to be that way? Only RG knows but PvP took over. They took PvP control out of the economy and did not place offsets so the economic had hyper inflation issues.

SotA is being built around a death based economy. Everyone dies and everyone gets hit with durability costs.

A separate PvP economy doesn't remove the PvP centric issue. There is still selective multi player. Try to force OPO mode on the full open PvP segregation and now you are removing several elements of the story. Not everything will be available in OPO some things will drop us down into FPO/SPO.

Things are fine as they are. Just because there will be some random joe you can not attack is not going to break your immersion. Not if you follow the story, they have lore for this.

Sir Cabirus likes this.
  13. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

What amazes me is how every single "new" PvP thread seems to suffer from amnesia. They ALWAYS launch in with a certain level of awareness of consensual PvP, the sharding system, and old Ultima Online lore, and then start haranguing the forums with propaganda designed to incline people in favor of full 100% PvP worlds with full loot. No amount of people saying no stops em. I honestly believe it's just like, 20 guys who keep making new profiles.

14. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

Things are fine as they are. Just because there will be some random joe you can not attack is not going to break your immersion. Not if you follow the story, they have lore for this.

for me it breaks the immersion . pve players want to force pvp players , to live in there world, what they not want ,except they pvers living under there ruleset of full loot pvp for everyone
    - may cuase a forced full loot system some people rage quit maybe yes, but if it is optional you wont have people quit.
    but you would defenetly loose a lot of pvp players who dont even install the game when they not add the option !!!!!

one question did richard garriot /aka Lord british developed the ultima online ideas and mechanics together with the guys working on sota ,was the whole ultima online system his idea how it got coded. i mean i like him he brought us ultima online, the best game ever for its time

the flag system the magery system
    the skill (learning by doing)
    the pvp ruleset

was this his idea or did he just give his name to the game to to carry off the bays

i mean this game, feel to me like lord british have never been a part from origins and that he just gave his name for the game and hired some developers from world of warcraft .......
    lord british always told the ultima online was so great you could live as a crafter and fisherman only ... not in this game

not 1 meachnic taken from ultima online ruleset wise

just the free inventory which was only fun because it made playerlooting skillbased. instead of right clicking an item you had to drag it manually as fast as possible in your bag

MalakBrightpalm likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

There is no one being forced to PvE. The rest of you post is recapping that you want to cling on to old UO. This isn't it, it never was.

16. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

not forced to pve you didnt read right, we get forced to share the same instances with pve guys, who want something totally different and not accept full loot. woudnt mind playing with them in the same instances if they accept the loot rule. just want freedom to play the game how i like it.

second thing exite me much after i looked into this game,really wanted to know if lord british was behind developing the mechanics of ultima because overy other game he released was so different (tabula rasa) now sota not one of them share the mechanics just his name.

its a decrease in roleplaying abilitys compared to uo see post 324

i also feels that they arew a bit too convenient to develop a proper netcode so game can be open world maybe they cant because of so detailed houses, but what is sure ,there is no inovative benefit of hexes, when it dont separate pvp fom pve guys and throw you in a hex near to you to get as less lag as possible.
    especially combat in closed instances could be made better THB (4 million would eb enough to develop everything more deeply)

anyways enough walls of text XD i can just hope devs read it.
    i think steam community is much more kritik with this thema.
    just dont understandwhat would be the problem if those kind of different groups only meet in town ?? and get separated that everyone is happy

17. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

that is exactly the point, the freedom for everyone to play the way they like it, non consentual pvp does not give the freedom to the people that do not want to be forced to fight..........*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......*puts this phrase on repeat*......

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

This isn't about PvE vs PvP. In the most basic form, it's Dev vs Player. In a sand box game, you take the devs out of the picture. All the devs need to do is set up the rules and get out of the way. Full open PvP server makes sense in a sand box game. But SotA is not a sand box game. SotA does not shut down the ability to play the sand box style but there is a purpose and the devs wish to maintain control and not let PvP over power that purpose.

What do the devs want when it comes to Dev vs Player.

The economy is staged around getting the best resources and crafting them into the best products. A PvP centric economy with full loot pushes the players away from this. With full loot, the players will gear and consume the best possible gear they can easily replace.

The content is story driven. Open PvP will overwhelm all attempts to engage in any kind of story. Why? Because for every person that wishes to attempt some portion of the story there will be someone waiting to attack them and they DON'T CARE about the story, only taking someone's loot.

Combine these two and you get the reason for not segregating the player base. When they design their story they tune it for the gear they want you to wear, the consumable they want you to use. They are not tuning it for the easily replaced gear and they are not tuning it for players that DON'T CARE about anything other than killing players and looting them.

SotA is a story driven game with as much sand box elements as possible. They are taking every effort to preserve as much of the sand box as they can while not allowing the sand box to over power the delivery of the story.

You don't need to higher Tracy Hickman for a sand box game.

Noctiflora, Ned888 and Sophi like this.
  19. baronandy

baronandy Avatar

besidemaybe its not in there interests, but i know it woudnt be smart to scare 50 percent of the community away , by taking them the possebility of full loot , just too many things are connected to a full loot system n pvp which make the game great.

by attracting the pve player and pvp players the game get most money bacause you satisfy all.

but if you want to throw them all together in the same instances with compromises for both sides , for exemple no loot or ransom .
    maybe both sites wont enjoy the game !!!

i know its story driven game , but should this be all? play through the story 5 days quit the game. and your housespot blocking the lot ??? great singleplayer game with coop lol thought ultimative online roleplaying game

20. Sunswords

Sunswords Avatar

Baronandy, I've been following this thread and your posts. If only one thing could be proven right from all of these conversations - is that the community here has shown that they are far from toxic. The posters here take time and effort to reason, explain, and repeatedly answer many of your questions. I think you should at least acknowledge that before making such comments above.

Edit: thread got swept :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.