Cost

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Nytetears, Jan 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

I'm pretty sure that a local market is all but confirmed at this point. From what Darkstarr has said, there will likely be local markets where you can sell goods.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  2. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

That's great "if" there are houses still available after the land rush....I think it was 60% of land was sold for cash, so if that's all gone it leave 40% left to fight over the what 26000 who didn't buy housing? How many people bought multiple lots for cash? The whole thing kind of stinks. I wouldn't have as much of an issue if the land was only available in game and was limited since it was an even playing field.

this post here I agree with:

So those who did not get land are now "left behind"? I'm not sure any of us pledged to be the serfs.

Mozzarella, Tarsilion, Ara and 2 others like this.
  3. Owain

Owain Avatar

How was it not a level playing field? Can we still up our pledges? Looks like there are still lots available at the Citizen level and above, ready for the taking.

Lord Gréagóir likes this.
  4. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Oh yes, that is called playing the game....I don't find the price worth it. I do however want to have one in game, guess if I'm not willing to spend hundreds of dollars I should just shut up.

Mozzarella and Ara like this.
  5. Owain

Owain Avatar

Go ahead and complain, but don't say the playing field wasn't level. Houses are available to everyone on a first come, first serve basis. If the asking price is too much for your budget, you are wise to refrain from buying one. Not everyone can afford to drive a Lamborgini, either.

The playing field, however, seems level to me.

6. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

No, you didn't pledge to be serfs. I think that statement is going a bit too far. No one is saying that.

Just like everyone else, when you click to pledge, you see what you are rewarded with for a certain pledge level.

If someone doesn't succeed in getting a plot of land at first, there will be more available as people neglect to pay their upkeep and as more episodes are launched. Online housing is available to everyone.

It all comes back to each backer's individual choice: time vs. money.

7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

It's not level, and it won't be for new players. A cash shop is not the game. It's not playing the game, it's providing different versions of the same game to people outside of actually playing the game. The asking price is too high, not because of my budget, but because this is a game. Significant assets are being used to create this housing which only affects a small portion of the game community. The website itself is proclaiming how housing is huge in the game.

I'm sure the few hundred that do spend the money are fine with it, they will be happy. Now think how this will affect the 20000 that it also affects negatively.

Mozzarella likes this.
  8. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Negelected?

I think that is a bit far....
    To say that would be like saying that every player playing this game would have to have to have the exact same experience or they are being neglected in one way or another.

People are playing and supporting this game for different reasons and to have their own experience.

9. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't see where I said neglected anywhere.

10. Ara

Ara Avatar

So how do a crafter without a house sell it's crafted gear?

That is a game option that all that have a crafter need.

Mordecai likes this.
  11. Owain

Owain Avatar

The purpose of housing in SotA is not to be part of the game. The purpose has always been to raise capital. Portalarium has said that from day one, so it's not like it's a big secret. When designing villages, towns, and cities, they saw that there would be room for LIMITED housing, but nowhere near enough to supply a house for even a small fraction of the number of players. What to do, then? They didn't want to have large scale housing, because they recognized the problems associated with that from UO

As with any scarce commodity, they saw that the law of Supply and Demand provided them with an opportunity. Demand is very high, and supply is very small. I did the math, and for the 10 categories of contribution that come with a house, 1 house from each category raises them over $31,000 dollars. That's not bad for 10 houses, not counting the other perks for each donation level.

It's not about game play. I don't think player houses are a big factor in Garriots Perfect Role Playing Game, but they decided to offer them in quantities that wouldn't ruin the game, but would add to how much money they could collect in contributions. It was a business decision, and always has been, and without it, Shroud of the Avatar might never have gotten off the ground.

12. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

It has already been said there will be ways to sell wares even without a house.

13. Ara

Ara Avatar

Consignments?

How would that work?

Will that be a disadvantage compared to having your own vendor?

A instanced house could have less since they are smaller.

14. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lot-deeds-never-oversold.5733/

Miracle Dragon and Koldar like this.
  15. Ara

Ara Avatar

I hope there is cause otherwise owning a house is very much needed if you want to sell your crafted gear.

To be competitive.

16. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

There will be an open market by the sounds of it. The disadvantage will be higher fees for using the market which is fair.

Your argument is a bit irrelevant though seeing as the only person who would see an instanced house is yourself so you couldn't use it as a shop.

Koldar and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
  17. Owain

Owain Avatar

Maybe this is another idea that has needed to age and percolate a bit. If you can't have a million vendors, they might have to go to an auction house.

Another possibility might use Selective MultiPlayer. Vendors appear for people who own houses, because that was promised. If you don't have a house, your vendor appears to people on your friends list.

Better hope you have some friends. Some people around here are going to be in trouble. ;)

18. Lord Kiron Maedun

Lord Kiron Maedun Avatar

Same way it works in real life.
    They sell an item for you, you get the item minus a fee. Would be similar to a taxed vendor on a house plot. Exacts are unknown since there isn't any information about having your own vendor available.

If they have less then one.... wouldn't that be none?

19. Owain

Owain Avatar

Still not sure how this can work if you have tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of people or more jockeying for position on a limited number of public vendors.

20. redfish

redfish Avatar

If housing were ever instanced, then I'm sure that whenever you entered a town you could see an instance that included your friends houses. That would be complicated though, and cause problems when two of your friends bought the same lot :/

Of course, you'd have to give some game world explanation on why the towns change every time you enter them, too. :/ All in all, I'd support other solutions to housing over instancing... I don't think its the best solution.

On the other subject, one idea on selling that came up was being able to give your items to NPC vendors for consignment, and sell it to other players through them. Then there has been some discussion on using bazaars/market squares to sell items.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.