Criticism Thread and loot drops

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Brass Knuckles, Apr 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

It is said the number 1 problem is the quest system take this for what it’s worth I am not a quester. The main problem as I see it is interesting loot. I feel most people like to find stuff that’s useful as upgrades and there is near zero of that in the game. The designed system of craft the best gear in the game has caused this population system problem as I see it. I’m sure the hard core crafter mostly likely see things from a different perspective and I’ve no issue with that.

Bottom line there is a real population problem and with a free to play game that’s massive red flags. Additionally I feel population is tapering off even more.

My solution: stop development on almost everything and get improved loot drops in ASAP and for the love of GOD advertise this. I’m not talking about more crap loot to vendor, it seams we have had this complaint before and the solution was more rusty crap or addition gems or another 34 gold. Finding that crap adds no value to the game.! Finding a Sword or a cool pair Of gloves that I can actually use will. How you support crafting as a main line concept under my proposal is with MW and enchanting also improve the t2 and t3 drops so that crafters could compete a little better if they decide to farm mats but they can still profit from finding drops or buying drops and placing epic masterworks on them.

Edit: btw 90% of the artifacts are complete junk as designed.

I know you all can see this, it can’t be only me.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  2. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

3. oplek

oplek Avatar

I've tried to play lately, but I log in, walk around 2-3 minutes, my eyes glaze over, and I log out. I then fire up Fallout 76, and have fun, even though it's supposed to be a horrible, boring game. For me, it pulls the right levers. So I'm speaking here in terms of what might make it fun for me again.

I'll say it again, I wouldn't mind the junk loot if there was a "sell all loot" function, and other management functions. Have them tagged, and able to be shunted off to a static container or tab.

I'd love to see an achievement system with daily/weekly quests. Build 5 chairs. Drink 10 alcoholic beverages. Kill a ferocious spider while naked. Etc. Remove the COTOs from the random loot drops, and tie it into this system instead. Given how many prizes are given out during streams or other contests, one cannot argue that the COTO disbursement would be too much. They can get creative with this system.

I know the game isn't supposed to hold our hands, but when I go to a restaurant, they usually hand me a menu of possibilities.

Public events - a meteor hits, and is visible to everyone on the map. People can join in. Prizes. Make a spectacle of it.

4. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

A new artifact system should be created and focus on items that have magical properties based on its components. These items should be good, and able to be used on their own, however the better use would be to salvage them in hopes of getting a good component (ala mossy green handle). A component can be a strap, hilt, shaft, pole, head, even also a unique pattern. Put more then one together so that the desire for multiple pieces from one artifact is possible, the power, or the look, although you only get one. You cant repair them, Essences go away, these are use and lose, or salvage and craft.

If each Artifact is powerful, but not more powerful then crafting, then by using the parts, a crafter can still continue to make the best items in the game.

The joy of looting could be in finding all these special artifacts that enhance what a crafter can do. Therefore, neither the crafter alone, nor the artifact alone can create the truly most powerful items, only by using both methods can the best be accomplished.

Artifact Components can be tiered. Like supply bundles, and maybe even with a colored plume shooting in the air to add excitement to the drop. It you can't to this because loot is generated on open, then at least do a color flair around the person who opened the good loot.

Hopefully this is something that can be generated with data and not having someone hand create every single loot artifact that can possibly drop - it would take too long.

ADDITIONALLY:

Supply bundles should be expanded to include tiers of chests, boxes and crates, with locks and lockpick skills. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING from the COTO store should have a chance to drop AS A BLUEPRINT/RECIPE - you then need to acquire the recipe parts and resources to build it in-game. They will still make money from people buying it whole in the store but that is not the only way to acquire it.

Its a start... I'm sure there are 100 more ideas that others have. Something just needs to be done.

Xee, addrox, King Robert and 4 others like this.
  5. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

This is where I think the major disconnect happens, the devs have no idea what their game plays like. I was encouraged to see Chris start streaming but he’s not actually playing. After playing since 2014 I can tell you this is the only reason why I’ve ever consider quitting. It’s as boring as F to play because the loot is beyond worthless and I’m not a crafter or a quester. I’ve no idea why I keep playing to be honest maybe it’s the player owned town that keeps me around, also maybe the Playermade dungeons they have some interest for me for now.

The sandbox elements seam like enough for me atm but dammit I want to find useful stuff!!!!

Dhanas, Fister Magee, FrostII and 3 others like this.
  6. amarious

amarious Avatar

I sometimes feel like the rusty junk was a troll move from the devs when we asked for better and more interesting loot.

I'm not asking for the abundance of loot via Diablo style loot but say, a rare here and there with an added random stat or two. I know there's a fine line of pissing off crafters and pleasing people wanting more interesting drops, but man.. Somthings gotta give.

7. Spinok

Spinok Avatar

Agree, the huge amount of systems in SOTA should be polished, for the time of polishing just forget about new content, we don't need ep2 now, we need polish ep 1.
    Generally, the main reason why we can't have a good drop - private mode. Recipe - nerf drop in private, raise drop in MP.

8. oplek

oplek Avatar

I hate to keep saying "do what game XYZ does"... but I think it goes to show that a lot of games out there have gotten a lot more right, and have put a lot of thought into what makes a game fun... we came here for pizza, and we're getting oatmeal.

I feel like the "crafted items are the best items" mantra isn't working out, has painted the game into a corner, and largely shackled mediocrity into an item-centric game.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Free to play games should not have this player population. Heck UO has more player population and it’s what a 1997 game with a subscription.

10. Asari

Asari Avatar

I agree, but this (we need interesting loot to keep people hooked) has been said and requested for years now - just like the quest system. There are some threads still here, of course locked, because, criticism...
    It fell on deaf ears then and it will most definitely now that the main form of communication seems to be Chris' stream and LBs twitter.

Sorry to burst the bubble, but it's the unfortunate truth.

11. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Uo is f2p.

I think we do need lots of component drops that are required for good stats on gear via masterworking and stuff. Like enough that you can get something off everything. And i suspect thats what the Advanced Crafting comming near the end of the year is gonna do, i hope.

Its bery obvious they are trying to stick to the “best stuff is crafted” philosophy and i hope they do. I just think there needs to be more desirable components in loot

Boris Mondragon likes this.
  12. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I’m not totally opposed to the crafting and component ingredients from salvage. We need that as well as instant gratification drops that people can benefit from instantly. People want to find cool **** they can actually use vrs ohh cool I found a hammer let me go get a salvage buff pop a reclamation pot and see if I get a component then I can run out and mine and chop wood so I can break (ruin) with enchanting.

Dhanas and FrostII like this.
  13. Xandra7

Xandra7 Avatar

[​IMG]

It was an obvious troll move.

14. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Well i dont mean salvage. Im actually talking about the components that drop straight up and you run to put them together. Like the troll belt or the warlock chain or the xen penetrator.

More stuff like that that im hoping is gonna be part of this advanced crafting comming in.

15. Almar

Almar Avatar

I have to say, this was a big issue on my enjoyment of the game. In any game I expect to get interesting loot with upgrade potential. This was never happening from the outset with the 'Crafter Charter', which in my opinion was a *huge* mistake at a basic developmental level.

Next, there is the 'rares' market. UO was the *best* game for rares.

In SOTA, rares are pretty much bought every telethon or too easily available. So that's ruined.

Loot is a mess, taking away a ton of fun for the average player

So basically, it's grind, grind, grind - in a very attractive game world. It's very sad.

I keep patching my account, but I haven't played in months - can't see the point.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Almar

Even better loot wouldn't change the fact that its just grind, grind, grind, though.

I do think there are areas where loot has to improve, but I always find it weird when people talk as if more and better loot would be a magic bullet to make the game fun. That will just end up meaning over time that the better loot you get will end up being common, and people will get bored of that, too. Ultimately gameplay is king, and the problem is that the gameplay is oriented around grinding.

Two threads I've made for my POV on this. The first is Making better loot, which is a list of suggestions on how to improve loot drops in the game. And The grind cycle, where I explain what I think makes the game grindy.

As for a very attractive world, yes it can be, although I think some of the add-on stuff gets in the way of that a lot of the time, too.

Jaesun, Almar and Synergy Blaize like this.
  17. Elrond

Elrond Avatar

The trend to replace best in slot crafted gear with artifacts has already begun :

- Necklace slot - warlock
    - Head slot - Hoods ( dolus , temna..)
    -Rings - situational but most arti rings very useful
    -belts ( best in slot )
    -Bows - artifacts Xen , envy bow ..best in slot

The way i see it ... some artifacts can be best in slot but situational ... if you drop a bow like xen penetrator or envy bow that pretty much kills the bow crafting market ...( that means less bought strings, wood, and many other npc sold mats that players use in the crafting bows proccess ) but if you give players an artifact bow that greatly enhances CC vs boss creature that wont affect crafting and youll still have an item usefull to players .

Crafting is a big GOLD SINK ... the more you neuter it the less effective it will be ... so if they continue making artifacts best in slot for each weapon and armor there will be negative side effects for the entire economy.

18. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

This pretty much nails it. There are some + items (like swords and such) but there needs to be nore, like + armor pieces. Most of the crafted stuff that ends up in the loot system is junk.

FrostII and Brass Knuckles like this.
  19. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Though I agree you have some valid points there however all of those can be masterworked and enchanted so crafting is still a important part of the process. Crafting is very tedious I agree with EmP components should drop t3 and regular components with out needed to salvage. You can’t improve loot drops and make the grind so stupid that people who actually want to assemble the stuff get ground to death.

It’s simple and easily definable in the games population. <<< the true score of what people think about the game.

For me I need cool sparkly things I can find and use or possibly sell if you buy those and make them amazing and re sell them we both win.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  20. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

No soup for you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.