Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dealing with cards?

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by SmokerKGB, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

This is just wrong. "unexpected and unforseeable situations" are external factors that affect you. Your skill usage is not. Needing a heal, and having the regent and knowledge of the skill you should not have to wait for the card to pop up.
    Being and archer and firing at range my blade skills should not be available until I need them. Not be popping up amid volleys of arrows. Likewise if I enter melee my bow skills should not be popping up unless usable and applicable. Because I know quite well when it's time for the bow or time for the sword, that's why I TRAIN!

2. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

i think it is fun even now

3. Espada

Espada Avatar

I couldn't agree more! Loving the current deck/glyph system!

4. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Hopefully some type of middle ground can be reached but thw whole point of gaining experience in a skill set is to get to the point where you get expert in the field and there is less chance of a less than optimal effect. So your swordplay becomes expert and strikes are accurate and spells casted are true and effective. Because if effects and spell types will always be random what's the point of advancement

SmokerKGB and Joviex like this.
  5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

By having the randomness of cards only affect the effect of a skill you could say that this randomness is the unpredictability of the effect a skill can have.

For example you are a mighty mage and you have mastered the skill fireball quite well. You spent some skill points for more effects the fireball can have, for example double fireballs and a huge explosion.
    The fireball skill is locked, so you can always cast a fireball when you want to. But you cannot control 100% what the effect of the fireball will be. You know for sure that the you will have the standard effect or a fizzle. But you can put more cards of a certain effect into your deck to enhance the chance of this effect showing up. So if you want to have a good chance of casting a double fireball, you put more "double fireball effect"-cards into your deck. But there would always be the chance that another effect will appear once you cast the spell. The more you advance, the better you get, the more effects you can learn and the more cards you can put into the deck, thus increasing the chance of creating this effect with your skill.

This way you could memorize the spell fireball and use it whenever you want - as it is locked. But the effect the spell will have is influenced by some randomness and how you created your "effect deck". You could say that there are always risks when dealing with magic so that it can never be 100% predictable. The same with other skills. You want to do a very hard thrust with your sword but you may slip. You want to do a very elegant dodge, but you still may stumble...

6. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

I may be ignorant to the system but I thought the "flex" deck system allows more cards (20) which develop into more powerful combinations, the fixed deck maxes at 9 cards, but that with points in the proper focus area will allow you to swap decks a bit faster but I doubt it will be as fast as the way cards change in the "flex" deck system. I used a 9 slot "flex" deck with one fixed slot for a heal. With the remaining 8 slots I always had a nice combination of skills to use. When I lost a fight, it never had to do with not having good cards in my deck, it was because of bad positioning or being defeated by overwhelming force (multiple people attacking me at once).

7. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

My biggest issue is - as I predicted - I have to spend more time looking at my card bar at the bottom than at what is going on above. Especially if I'm waiting for a particular type of ability to show up. Simply because the abilities become available randomly and in random order/slots. As of now I am currently just using 5x 4 card types because it's easier to deal with.

I'll continue to give it a try over the weekend but it's just not working for me so far.

8. UnseenDragon

UnseenDragon Avatar

I like some aspects of the deck system, but at the end of the day it still seems to relay on quick reflexes. Having to remember which icons are which moves, hitting the key quickly, moving your Avatar around the whole time. I found it very difficult to do effectively (I'm slow). I'm fine in real life fencing, but terrible when trying to do it on a keyboard.

Sir Asguard, docdoom77 and Joviex like this.
  9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

They should introduce turn based combat, would be very unique in an online-RPG ;)

Joviex likes this.
  10. Foobard

Foobard Avatar

Like others have said, this system doesn't seem very logical. Only appropriate actions should appear in the deck.
    Now attempting to cast one spell, and another comes out, or extra side effects depending on the skills of caster and target, that could be cool, and possibly hilarious. Like spell backfires turning you into a chicken, getting blinded, catching fire and running around etc.
    I might keep trying with the deck, but if I play at all this weekend, I will be turning on Dallas Mode.

Sir Asguard and Joviex like this.
  11. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

And the way the cards flip up and down, its like playing whack a mole. I dont want to be focusing my time on what cards are popping up and which ones are slugs. I'd rather be watching whats going on in the game

12. Lord Tachys al`Fahn

Lord Tachys al`Fahn Avatar

Personally, I have no problem seeing what is there on the screen, and making the appropriate decision based on my available options, while I am moving about to gain a better strike position while simultaneously trying to deny the enemy that same ability.

I look at it as reviewing possible options in combat, mentally dismissing (alt-number key) some as possibilities out of hand. the more "focused" my deck, the less I have to dismiss and more options I will select.

Just my thoughts on it... but feel free to keep letting this break the game for you. I choose to look at it as a challenge, and adapt to it, rather than take my non-existent bat and go home.

13. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

For now I am card combat - destroyer of immersion. That's my main complaint.

You're exploring a mysterious forest. The trees are mysterious. The strange sounds give you chills. Suddenly, a hideous creature leaps from the shadows and... You're playing a card game?

Sir Asguard likes this.
  14. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Adaptation would be a thought if i felt it was worth the effort but "shroud of the gathering" does not pose a strategic challenege worth adapting to as that it simply is not a logical way to use your developed skills and magic.

ByTor [MGT] likes this.
  15. Espada

Espada Avatar

It is truly a combination of looking at your cards and whats going on in the fight... Positioning.. Stunning at the right time with auto swing timer in mind, etc.. Thats when u truly kick ass in the duels.. If you have no awareness, then it wont work.. It is an exercise between looking at your deck and the status of the fight.... You can ask anyone who has done 300+ Fights and they will agree (not that it takes that many fights to figure it out...) give it a chance.. Just be aware of what is going on and look at the deck but thats just part of the formula.. Give it some time and practice.. You will get better..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

16. Espada

Espada Avatar

It is a glyph game... And it is awesome... Just my opinion.
    In any game where combat takes place.. I guess immersion where you have hot bars is destroyed.. Hot bars in any mmo - destroyer of immersion?

17. Espada

Espada Avatar

I am truly confused by your statement...

18. Espada

Espada Avatar

Omg... No plz lol..

Kaisa likes this.
  19. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Oh look in the above posts. I didnt quote.

20. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Taking a hotbar and turning it into a game of whack-a-skill takes immersion breaking to a whole new level ( for me, at least ).

Sir Asguard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.