Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dealing with cards?

Discussion in 'Release 8 Feedback' started by SmokerKGB, Jul 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I think the best systems were seen in the old dungeons and dragons video games that borrowed from the table top game. You had spells that became available depending on your level. You had x amount of spells you could memorize depending on your level. Those memorized spells were the ones you could use at any given time. It would be up to you to take the time to meditate or study the spells you had already used to prepqrw them again, otherwise you did without them. It added a level of strategy and planning and gave meaning to casting spells..not just being able to sputter out 10 fireballs per combat session. If something like this could be incorporated into the glyph system along with the need for reagents, it would make more sense than using an automatic card shuffler.

Malchor likes this.
  2. jschoice

jschoice Avatar

Locking your skills in place might be viable now but based on information shared earlier and as recently as the Darkstar video on MMORPG a fully locked deck will not allow you the ability to do combos which will be coming next month. Also limiting yourself to locked deck of 9 cards per deck does not give you the breadth of abilities that a full deck will give you. A 20 card deck is only the starting size as you level your deck size will become larger but the slot available will be limited so if I am attacking you with a 30 card deck with the ability to do combos and your relying on a 9 card locked deck that would make it more difficult for you to kill me. Even if you run 3 locked decks the fact that I can string more powerful combos together that still puts you at a possible disadvantage.

3. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I actually like this idea of splitting the bar into different sections, but still having them deal out. At least I would know I would have a heal spell or a damage spell or a defense skill in a certain place. Maybe limit each section to 2 spell/ability slots...

The way it stands now, I have to memorize each spell icon and know what it does, eventually I will have them memorized, but until then... I'm lost...

Joviex likes this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well it could be frustrating and immersion breaking until we learn it, and until it is fully operating due to our feedback, and also when we have all the new skills that aren't on the trees yet. To me it is consistent with this game, well since there isn't a game yet, as consistent as you can get. This game is evolving and will be amazing. Finally we get a taste of excitement and so many are downing it, and why is beyond me. I know I have a lot to learn and practice in regards to this system. But for some, not saying this is you, but me a little bit, I can just say hey I don't quite know what the hell I am doing yet lol, but I will take this challenge and gladly. As for some who say things about all the stuff on the screen, they say this is temporary for this learning curve. I am not saying you need to agree with me and thank you for posting your thoughts.:)

5. Prince Guni

Prince Guni Avatar

I fully agree with the original poster. Before I found this thread I had just posted my thoughts in another forum and also added a poll to it:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-you-the-player-can-start-a-revolution.13207/

I don't see how randomizing your powers available when you need them will help with tactical game play. It annoys, it distracts, it makes things less tactical and more of a clicking/action/reaction contest.

In other games I would create different combat hot bars for different tactics and combat situations. I could easily switch between them and could actually play out my tactics because the skills needed for them would be available. It would not be the system dictating me what skills or tactics to use because of making some skills randomly unavailable and others randomly available.

6. Kabalyero Kidd

Kabalyero Kidd Avatar

just lock down your cards and everything is rainbow and sunshine again... ;)

7. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

Yes combat is unpredictable, but take a boxer vs. a non boxer for instance or a martial artist vs. A non martial artist. The trained fighters will be able to use skills acquired through their training at will and with consistency to make their reactions purposely more accurate and precise. So i don't buy the unpredictability of combat argument because you train, like any soldier or examples of combatants i used above, to make it more of a controlled chaos. And harping on the fact that the deck dealing is "new and different" while putting a negative spin on using skills as choose doesn't hold much water either. Plenty of older games and combat/magic systems are much better than modern games and skyrim's system isn't that bad at all. And as i dont want to be labeled as a one of the disgruntled masses not giving suggestions, something more tactical to me at least spell wise would be given the ability to memorize x amount of spells at a time depending on your level of expeeience. You need to rest to relearn/meditate on those spells to get them ready again, so if youre in a prolonged battle or dungeon, you need to budget your spell casting wisely. It makes the spells more meaningful and tactical. And it would seem less pokemonesque

Joviex, Malchor and ByTor [MGT] like this.
  8. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

Hello majoria70. Let me start by saying: I enjoy reading your very friendly and positive posts.

Without picking an argument (more picking your brain), let me ask you: what about card combat do you find consistent with the rest of SotA?

AvorinSwiftslay, monxter and Joviex like this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Well hello to you. **waves** I do think perhaps what SOTA is, or perhaps more the thought of what it will be, is in our own minds. I envision a game that gives lots of choices for self expression and role play. I want to have fun and am not an advocate of putting tons of restrictions in the game like HOA and such. I envision a world that has so many secrets and interactive features they will keep me entertained for a long time. For those that know me or know of me, I am totally for playing a very gorgeous, but very tough warrior character (of course not quite there yet, lol, having a bad hair and body day right now);)

So regarding the combat as I do not claim to be an expert by any means at this point, what I like so far is the freedom to experiment with it. I plan on making a fun deck which will have my light spell, my fire elemental and who knows what else I will find that is fun in there. I thought the fire wall in Ultima was so cute. I can't wait to see what else is in there. I just have an opened mind about the combat, I love the icons, the way it is laid out so far. I also love what people are advising about it. Thank you for your positive comments regarding me also. ****majoria curtsies then raises her mug to ByTor****:) ****cheers****

monxter, Malchor and Lord Baldrith like this.
  10. Akrondar

Akrondar Avatar

Consistet with the rest of the Game?. Innovative, fun, and a love or hate taste about it (like almost everything new). I see a lot of potential. Lets wait one or two more releases.

Kaisa and Khloec like this.
  11. Malchor

Malchor Avatar

I'm confused about some folks discussing the need for an added dimension of "randomness". If you have 20 skill/spell cards, for example, and can chose 9 to keep "active" and "ready", you are making a tactical guess at which you will need -- not to mention the fact that you initially chose a certain set of skills/spells (which may be different than someone else's) and can choose to strengthen certain skills -- for me, this is certainly creating randomization. Although I agree that we should not be able to cast or use all of our abilities at any given time, I fail to see the rationale for creating the card randomization. It is a forced and silly way of presenting variation, follows no real logic and adds nothing to gameplay. I think that our character building and development, along with our unique selection of skill sets should decide how we perform in certain situations.

That being said, I'm sure, someone has spent time and resources designing this new system, so it's unlikely to be completely scrapped. I do, however, like the idea of a more dynamic combat system. Maybe the pop-ups could represent randomized penalties and bonuses that could effect your readied skills/spells in a particular situation. These would have to be intelligent randomizations -- for example, if you are fighting in the water, you may see more randomized penalties against skills that rely on dexterity or if you are fighting a much larger opponent, you have more randomized penalties on skills that rely on strength. Of course, there would always be the truly random bonuses/penalties, which things like luck, fate and the gods can only explain....

Let's not embrace "different" and "complex" just for the sake of being "different" and "complex". This game already has a more elaborate crafting system than I feel is needed (I have a full time job and do not need another!) -- the whole card system need not be so cumbersome and elaborate....there is a risk of building a game that is too complex and has "everything", but fun. I support innovation and I do not think this game should be a modified version of past games. There are some really great things emerging in SoTA, unfortunately , the card game is not one of them. Let Portalarium's Texas hold'em division worry about cards. Mr. Garriott, go build your world!

Freeman, Malchor1, SmokerKGB and 2 others like this.
  12. Rodriguez

Rodriguez Avatar

We should also not embrace "Lets use something tried and true" just because game X used it and game X is good.

Kaisa and Akro like this.
  13. Dee Hood

Dee Hood Avatar

So far I'm a fan of the card system. Archers are a bit weak at the moment though :)

14. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

And we also shouldn't reflexively jump on the band wagon because the card system is new. If it was a new system that made sense, there wouldn't be an issue.

Joviex, Freeman and ByTor [MGT] like this.
  15. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Well I am certainly not jumping on the bandwagon because it is something new. Like I have said before I hated the idea when they first talked about it. I thought it sounded horrible and I thought for sure when I tried it I would not like it. So far I am actually finding it pretty enjoyable which really surprised me. Now I would not like the system like it is right now exactly in the final version of the game. It still needs some work to truly be great but I think what we have so far shows potential. I also hope that they make it so that the everything is locked option is still viable in the final game as well.

Rodriguez likes this.
  16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello Kaisa. Did you watch Mad Hermits video on the front page? Just scroll down to the first 'read more in blue letters' to find it.
    For me, it helped so much. ****cheers****

17. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Not yet but I will. I do more or less understand how to make a deck though :)

majoria70 likes this.
  18. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

I understand your thoughts. I on the other hand, like a deep and meaningful game. Not instant gratification. I want a game where we can immures ourselves and RP with the community, not just have instant items and warfare. To me, immersion is needed, and realistic. Crafting should take time, exploring should take time. It should not be a one and done deal. The game needs to be able to last for decades, not burn out in the first 2 months.

Time Lord and Kaisa like this.
  19. Malchor

Malchor Avatar

I agree with the need for a deep and meaningful game. I have played most of the major fantasy RPGs over the past several decades and have always felt that detailed character development, customization, detailed plot and NPCs, unique items and an interactive world are ALL necessary for a successful and lasting game. Many of us can look back and remember the Ultima series (not many games are as memorable after 3 decades) and still hold them in highest regard (well, most of them...) because they focused on player and world. I have also played dozens of games that were very good, but didn't have the depth of character and world and were therefore, easily forgotten. I believe that one needs to be in a detailed and interactive world to be immersed and this has been my main point throughout all SoTA discussions. I do not believe forcing unnecessary tasks or making a system cumbersome or overly complex, necessarily equates with richness of world and plot. If I want to adventure from day one and make a living killing Orcs, Trolls and Brigands, then that's what I should be able to do. Similarly, if I'd prefer to become a master artisan and sell wares to finance my expeditions, that should be an option as well. The beauty of a rich, detailed world is that we do have choices and can have a different experience than someone else playing. I would be terribly disappointed if this became a "gold and monster grinder" game. I would be equally disappointed if Portalarium spends more time and resources building overly complex commerce and combat systems at the expense of creating a rich and detailed world.

Finally, let's remember that this is a game. It should provide fantasy enjoyment to as many as possible -- focus on world and plot and let us players journey onward.

Malchor1 likes this.
  20. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

I also think that incorporating more meaningful passive abilities would be very useful. Ie. Blocking, dodging blows (with the appropriate animations to go along with them). Passive abilities that improve with experience would make sense, add to tactics and would add to the immersiveness of combat

Joviex and Kaisa like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.