Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

That's a great point except that it's based entirely on fiction. :D Did I ever say no consequences? Did I ever say absolutely no risk?

2. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

dude was a beastlord. i think it was called crystal caverns? he'd leave his kitty at the mouth of the cave, sneak into the back, then hit a macro letting everyone know there's a big train coming through. set his cat to run to him, and aggro EVERY SINGLE MOB in the zone.. he'd just sit there and kill 'em and loot the gold.. 3 times a day, every day. all he needed for durned near unlimited coin.

Darian likes this.
  3. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

So, death penalty should be what exactly @Budner?

There has to be some consecuences in this game...it can't have everything not effect the player in a negative way.

You shouldn't want to die and it should be harsh enough to make you avoid it. Is it at the level right now? I'm not sure.

4. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Im for just porting you to the nearest temple unless you choose to wander as a ghost. So that would mean removing you from your current zone. That is a fairly hefty derrent because of the travel time and costs.

I am opposed to being dumped at the zones entrance as it is currently

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Tahru likes this.
  5. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

in ultimna online you had to run back to your body after being rezzed, quite honestly the death penalty here is very VERY weak, you dont lose experience, you dont lose gear, you dont lose nothing but 5 minutes of your time, thats really nothing in the grand scale of things

6. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

He already said in the very first post.

Personally I dont get it, losing a fight, being dead, waiting to respawn, having to get back in to a fight, these are all punishment enough to me, adding a pointless 90 second debuff to make me 'feel' bad about it is a total waste of time.

Tahru and Budner like this.
  7. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

5 minutes x number of times you die = many many hours of sitting on your butt, twiddling your thumbs, watching the death screen, yawning, scratching oneself, waiting for the penalities to wear off.

Not playing this game to sit and be bored. I don't need time outs and false death experiences. Detracts, doesn't add, to my personal gaming experience. DOING things in game, as opposed to sitting and waiting, is more fun, isn't it?

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  8. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

well in all honestly there are to many games already out there that have no penalties, if you really want to look at it that way then gaming in itself is a waste of time, watching the screen, yawning, scratching oneself and waiting for whatever, doing things outside is way more fun. but no sorry im in the camp where there has to be some penalties for dying, my experience with it is in games where dying bears no penalties most people dont focus on NOT dying, but rather on who cares if i die 1000k times since there is no penalty, I would rather the game develop quality players rather than quality bad players, one of the ways to achieve this is a death penalty

Musaab Osman likes this.
  9. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

There are also many games out there that have perma death/death debuffs, so I don't think there being other games has anything to do with it, i'd rather the game develop an effective dying punishment and not an arbitrary time waste like a stat debuff, multiplayer games now a days are about quality of life and fun not making 'better' players.

10. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

right but 5 minutes is not permadeath

11. Net

Net Avatar

Well, there are resurrection ankhs in scenes which respawn you immediately with full health and no death penalty... find them;)

Other than that I think that death penalty should be harsher the higher level you are. So you would wait for resurrection X seconds and started with (101-X)% of health, where X is your level (in the case that max level is 100). The higher level you are, the less you should die, at low level you die a lot so the death penalty might be less harsh imho. Death should have some penalties, so spell like resurrection has meaning. People should try to avoid dying. I do not want people to become suicidal attackers, I rather prefer "if you run away today, you can run away tomorrow" mentality:D

12. draykor darkale

draykor darkale Avatar

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03/24/the-perfect-ten-death-penalties/

Quite a good article, particularly its res sickness bit

Res sickness is a waste of time, make us walk, give us an xp debuff or whatever, but don'tmake us sit on our hands to make us feel naughty for being ganked while levelling.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  13. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Remove the death penalty and timer all together and install loot loss. Problem solved.

Budner likes this.
  14. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

I know let the death penalty be an option :D

On a more serious note: I think some kind XP penalty are the way to go, to have no penalty at all will kill the game for a lot of players.

rune_74 likes this.
  15. Darian

Darian Guest

-> beastlord too, i never played EQ2 because they screwed that class there

ThurisazSheol likes this.
  16. Darian

Darian Guest

XP penalty is meh, I vote for back to the next city and some mini game like the elder scrolls "dreams" sequences, you have to fight your way back to your body

17. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Imagine a death penalty as optional heh.

18. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

you are corerct rune it is optional. you can choose to not die and not get the penalty at all - or you can choose to go hardcore, and delete yoru character upon death.

all joking aside, i'd have to agree with morkul.. i'm one of the people what would get offended if there wasn't one - but i just don't think this is the RIGHT one.

Lord Baldrith, Budner and Morkul like this.
  19. Heradite

Heradite Avatar

You know, I think the death penalty is one of the reasons I really lean PVE rather than PVP. I know it sounds odd and even risk-adverse but you know what? If I die because I jumped off my lighthouse or because the game's creatures were more powerful or I got careless in PVE combat, that I can live with. Two of those were my fault and the rest is the game being a challenge like it should be (SOTA most of the time is not a challenge).

But if a level 50 player comes up to me and fights me, how is that my fault? Well it is for being in bloody Open PVP mode. There's a difference between losing a PVP match you volunteer for and getting dragged into one especially when you're not ready.

Having to wait forever to rez, having debuffs, and starting out at the beginning of the scene (in a game where you can spawn kill)? On top of the damage my armor/weapons took? Yeah, I'm sticking with PVE.

What I don't understand is why an MMORPG feels the need to penalize death. Plenty of single-player RPGs have "Danger" and "thrilling" gameplay without including a death penalty. In fact, you're expected to die: the challenge is not to. But I guess they need a death penalty because most MMORPGs don't really require skill.

20. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

I think, not the THINK part here. Since PvP combat will not give you any exp it would be reasonable to think that the death penalty for PvP would be less, perhaps ony loss of one item that you can buy back as the current PvP plans is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.