Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Satan Himself, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Good. Then let people adjust the death penalty according to their preference. You can stay dead and impaired and sitting on your butt as long as you want. Personally I'd rather PLAY THE GAME than sit around waiting for my grey screen to clear then the penalties to go away.

I play games to have fun, not to sit around in order to create some totally false and nonsensical feeling of immersion. Go to a funeral if you want death. I'm alive and like to have fun.

2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm not going to argue about this with anyone. I'll just say that it's a role-playing game. So the expectation that you're going to respawn immediately with virtually no penalty is not reasonable for this genre.

3. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

It's a role-playing game for YOU.

Role play a dead guy. Don't wake up. Total immersion. Congrats!

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

From the FAQ's:

Musaab Osman likes this.
  5. Darian

Darian Guest

In Everquest chances where high you lost all gear and days of grinding, compared to that a 10 min timer is sweeeeeet

Morkul likes this.
  6. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Oh sorry. Wonder if we're required to role play and if we don't, what the consequences will be. Maybe they can make us stay dead even longer?

7. Drocis the Devious

I don't play first person shooters and expect to roleplay. Why would anyone play this roleplaying game and expect mechanics that don't support roleplaying?

8. redfish

redfish Avatar

Death should have meaning, that's where a heavier long-term penalty comes in. Losing a penalty after 60 seconds isn't very meaningful. You don't want to wait, so you want to avoid waiting, but it isn't that big of a deal.

Right now the biggest penalty to dying really for me is fear of damaging my gear earlier than I wanted to, and second, going back to the start of a scene, especially in a dungeon.

Lord Baldrith and Gorn da Morn like this.
  9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

@Baron. Wait a minute. You're dead. You sit as a ghost for a minute, exactly. You rematerialize somewhere else. There's a 90-second timer, exactly, and a 20-point penalty, exactly, every time you res. Same for thousands of other players. This is immersive HOW? This enables you to role-play WHY? Having a shorter timer ruins role-play HOW? Are you role-playing a ghost? Are you role-playing a convalescing invalid? How are you role-playing anything if you're dead?

I'm not passionate about role-playing like you are, but to me it means I'm active in the world, not looking at my RL watch.

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Budner,

I think they want 1. a chance for players to resurrect you, and 2. being a ghost as part of the storyline.

But I'm thinking you should be able to speed this up and go into the light.

Some injuries on death that don't auto-heal might be meaningful. Plus the chance of losing gear.

11. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, I'm not defending the current system. I'm saying it's a first pass and I don't really know what they plan to do as they improve it, I'm just sure it's going to be a bigger penalty than you're currently seeing. I HIGHLY DOUBT that you'll be insta teleported back to the start of the scene, for example.

Gorn da Morn likes this.
  12. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

Don't play roleplaying games! I do not like action shooter so should I start argue they must incorporate role playing elements or just not play? Guess what I do not play action shooters.

Everyone thinks differently about death penalty and all are free to say what they like, all are free to argue their standing with hopes that devs will listen to them. That what we all do on this forum.

13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Well, that would make me sad. :( There is way too much sitting around and restrictions on movement in this game. I'm finding the whole playing experience extremely cumbersome. The game is beautiful but becoming increasingly restrictive and punitive, for something that labels itself a sandbox.

14. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Morkul thanks for the lecture on freedom.

IMO the whole death sequence has nothing to do with role-playing.

15. Drocis the Devious

Games have rules. Sandbox games have rules.

You don't like the rules, that's good feedback. I don't like some of the combat rules, for example. I don't like some of the rules that seem too unrestrictive too.

But having rules has nothing to do with being a sandbox or not being a sandbox. You can't get into a space ship and fly away in this game either. That's not "too restrictive" it's just one of the many rules of the world.

Gorn da Morn likes this.
  16. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Disagree. Sandbox implies open play. Restrictive mechanics close play.

I'm not against rules. I'm against bad rules.

17. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I think death should be a little more dramatic. Right now, you are fighting and suddenly *poof* your a ghost. I want to die properly like a wow murloc. Do that and I wont complain about the rest.

4EverLost likes this.
  18. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

I would prefer the death penalty reflect your level. It should last longer for higher level player. At higher levels your party could/should have ress.

Like Budner I think death is a little too punitive, particularly at this level. Taking as long as it does is a bit extreme. Of course the opposite end of the spectrum is launching a game that says "click here" followed by a "You win!" banner...

I would prefer ress with full health / focus, but with a 1 minute de-buff to regen rates. So you can make an escape without being killed over and over by those mobs that followed you and killed you right as you were trying to exit the scene... but you can't get back in the fight immediately.

FPS respawns instantly, but winning is counted by deaths... theres a huge dis-incentive to needlessly wasting your life. We need some kind of dis-incentive here.

19. nosavynada

nosavynada Avatar

Count me in on the death should count - to be avoided. I realize we wont have corpse runs as we did in UO. I think the current settings are too easy. They are already a compromise. Solution for avoided "jail" is do not die, get better at judging when to use discretion as the better part of valor. Then again perma death is ok too, just have to be VERY careful. :)

Gorn da Morn likes this.
  20. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

But for me is has, it's a huge deal to.

If you take a chance that you will survive an encounter but die, without penalty there is no consequence so why not try? If I'm successful I gain a reward if not nothing happens? For me it must be about risk vs reward. When my character sees that huge Troll in the clearing he will consider the risk before attacking the Troll and if there is no risk?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.