Disruption of Events in PvP POT's...

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Cupid, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Advantage to what? Don't go in my POT, now where's the advantage?

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I could see where some application would be fun. Mabey just 2 or 3 and they need to be killable, also require a gold sink.

blaquerogue likes this.
  3. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Dont get all angry with me :), we are just talking here.

4. Drocis the Devious

I agree that as we evolve PVP the guards should evolve too. That way we are supporting a fun environment. But to start out with, the guards should be godly as a first iteration, otherwise they would not be effective.

5. Drocis the Devious

I'm not angry with you, man. This is the type of conversation I wish we could have in person so you could hear my tone of voice.

PK U likes this.
  6. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

In uo you assigned a sheriff they were the only one who could hire and replace guards. I found that system fun and would support it here as long as they were killable you can sneak past them etc.

7. Drocis the Devious

I read that again. I didn't mean it like PK U and Duke Violation don't go to my POT because you're not welcome. I'm speaking as someone trying to balance a game here. If you don't like the guards, you never have to deal with them because you never have to go to my POT.

As the owner of the town, I'm betting that more people will go to my town if it has NPC guards that are effective than if it doesn't. And I think that's very good for PVP and the game. I can't see where there's a downside to that.

8. Drocis the Devious

As a long term option I would like POT owners to have a "guard house" where everytime a guard gets killed they have to respawn at the guard house and that requires money. They also have to take shifts and have upkeep costs (get paid) and generally serve a functional purpose. If you want better guards you have to pay for that, etc...

I'm not looking for a long term solution that prevents PVP in the town. I'm looking for a balanced approach. Right now the game is so unbelievably unbalanced, NPC Guards would have to be one shot killing people so they would not mess around. We don't need people messing around with the guards, we need people to respect them and keep their distance so that normal everyday stuff can happen.

It shouldn't be a remarkable thing to be able to talk to other players in a PVP Town or to buy and sell things. Right now it is. Right now there's not a lot of that going on because the moment you stop at a vendor or relax you're going to be ganked.

9. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

It depends on how powerful they are to deal with, how fast you can place them but with extreame ballance it could be fun but it could be an over power sdvantage if they can kill and catch easily all you have to do is let them do the work and loot.

Done incorrectly and it way to op, or should cost the town alot per guard.

10. Drocis the Devious

Again, don't go in those towns.

I'm not going to build a town where the moment you log in you get NPC ganked. No one would want to go there. But if you go there and get player ganked, no one is going to want to go there either. Balance.

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

No so u drop these by the zone in spot and its gg.. not fun not fair.

12. Drocis the Devious

Look, I'm not creating 100 use cases for this system. Yeah, that would be one of 100 problems that we could come up with. So sure you'd need a cool down to make it fair so POT owners couldn't do that.

I'm not suggesting that we just make indestructible guards and that's it, we never improve that system. I'm just saying that first iteration that's what we do because it's easier and then over time we systematically improve the guard system so that it's more balanced. I'm saying that right now I have no expectation that anyone in this game can come to Rats Nest (for example) and set up a vendor and expect to be profitable because 1. there will be very little business and 2. anyone that tries to buy or sell at the vendor is stupidly at risk of being killed.

NPC Guards level that playing field out and allow for players to visit my POT and actually do more than look over their shoulder and run around. Some other POT owners may only have an imagination large enough to see PVP POTs as arenas, and that's fine if that's what they're into. But I'm trying to build something far more meaningful than that. I'm trying to create a place where you can not only fight but you can also live, trade, socialize, and make a name for yourself. Some people call that roleplaying. :)

13. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Then to ballance all that id suggest all the gold you pay to maintain them is considered in the loot table. If you want meaninfull pvp out of it nothing more meaningful then murdering a dude for his money. The longer he lives obviosly the larger his bank roll would be.

Ud have people from all over novia visiting your town.

14. Drocis the Devious

I appreciate the spirit of what you're saying but the design needs work. Guards are not something that should be farmed, that devalues the purpose of the guards. PK U, I think you're missing the goal of the guards. The goal is to allow players in a PVP town to have REASONABLE protection (that's not 100% protection, but something where the expectation is that you will survive more than you'll die if the guards are around). Again, REASONABLE. If you are a PK that wants to kill people in a town, you would be smart to lure them away from the guards. Or to wait for them to travel between the safer areas of the town.

Here's some concept art for you.
    [​IMG]

If the whole town is a violent chaotic mess, then you're never going to have people in the town in the first place. You have to balance the functionality of the town to support what you want.

15. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

It seems that those who prefer to strip the power of governors for banning unpleasant people strongly believe that by killing the perps the will go away eventually. That may not always be the case, though. The potential issue here isn't about PVP. It's about those who meta-gaming griefed the system to ruin everyone else fun and the best thing everyone else could do is to kill them, which right now death and resurrection doesn't mean much at this point. They can just keep coming back and annoy the heck out of other people.

I'll give you the example of the case where people ruined PVP gameplay and by killing them didn't solve anything. In one of the UO free shards, there was some sort of faction war where each town can capture other town via a system along the line of 24/7 King of the Hill. In theory, it was supposed to encourage people to join in and pick up the fight quickly. In reality, however, there were group of naked stealth and thieves who would just capture the points while being naked or constantly trying to steal from the actual PvPers who actually want to fight others. The naked guys kept getting killed over and over, then coming back shortly after resurrection. The worst part was that these non-fighting faction "pvpers" were able to spend more hours in the game than those legit PvPers who had RL stuff to deal with. Since it wasn't against the game rule, the GMs decided not to intervene. What ended up happening was the actual players who wanted to PvP got fed up with these folks and their meaningless PvPing, then stopped participating altogether.

While this scenario may or may not ever happen to SotA, but the fact that PVP town cannot ban the anyone left the town to vulnerabilities against meta-gaming griefing that are not necessary the type PvP that everyone can enjoy. You gotta ask yourself if the non-banning in PVP town really something that will promote people to participate in PVPs. If you still think that by killing these people will solve the issue, then let's agree to disagree. At this point, it just seems beating the dead horse. For tournament events mentioned in the OP, using PVE town and get the participants to flag PVP should be sufficient enough to get thing going.

16. Drocis the Devious

I understand that, and I agree.

One problem is that this conversation includes people that want the world to work like that. Death has little meaning, and it's very easy to tenaciously bee line back to the fight and flail in a disruptive pit of chaos, events, roleplaying, structure, "meaningfulness" be damned. That's not the long term plan for SOTA, it's the short term reality of SOTA.

That's why I'm looking for a viable interim solution (very effective NPC Guards) as soon as possible.

17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Thats a wrong asumption there quoting you here..."In fact, it's my belief that the reason pvp has been so slow to catch on here is because there are no controls and people quickly figure out that the rewards are not worth the risks."

Dont make something that its not, good pvp is uncontrolled, if im attacking you, you should have no control over how i do it!!!!! The real reason PVP has been so slow to catch on is it absolutely sucks, bottom line! There is no reward your right, there is no punishing concept on either the victim or the perp, if you kill me it does absolutely nothing, since all can make anything, it wont be hard to re suit up for battle. The number one reason for Why PVP sucks is The devs are listening to the non pvpr, the victims, and the what ever pvp they call themselves! Thats the biggest factor in why PVP sucks. dont get it twisted. Half the people complaining in here are the ones that got ganked and stole from, instead of practicing PVP , they were out building crafting skills and selling insanely priced armor,and weapons to the pvpr! Just because you crafted for a pvpr in a pvp environment, or had pvp/pk friends doesnt make you a PVPr! Our skill set is just as important and time consuming as your crafting skill set!

Ravicus Sales likes this.
  18. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

Well we can agree to disagree of course. I would like to point out that some of us do not wish to strip the powers of Governors. Better to say we do not want to give imbalance powers to governors. Knowing the risk of pvp is checking the box that tells you everyone and everything will be flagged for pvp in the town. I can empathize with you certainly, but when emotions dictate law then you have bad laws as not everyone thinks with emotions.

19. Ravicus Sales

Ravicus Sales Avatar

+1

20. Drocis the Devious

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.