Disruption of Events in PvP POT's...

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Cupid, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

Dude, you do realize what you just said sounds like a PK threat. Don't get the two confused... PK is what's wrecking PVP in this conversation. People aren't mad because PVP is happening... PVP is what players want! It's the thugs that run around thinking PK is PVP that are jacking it up. If someone can roll into a PVP flagged player owned town and spawn camp players, killing until everyone is just having an absolute crappy time - then it's bad for the game.

Don't get the two confused. PVP is a warrior's game that can be fun for everyone - PK is thug life, there's no honor in it.

Vesper Merchant and Josh Randall like this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I agree with you to a point. I think PVP can include thugs as much as it can anything else. But moderation is the key. If thugs jump you and steal your loot, you might say "good one" and watch out for yourself better next time, plan for that, etc... But if someone kills you, then camps the ankh you're at, then loots everything you have, then uses an exploit to break into your home and start the process all over again. That's not fun for anyone but perhaps the idiot that's doing it. There's a difference, and it's really up to the game to set the boundaries of what's possible and what's not.

Clearly there are people that want everything to be possible because they just enjoy relentlessly spawn camping whatever they can. But that's not what makes a good game. A good game is one that doesn't allow that to happen in the first place, while still allowing for spontaneous interaction based on a balance of risk vs. reward. Right now PVP is all risk and it only rewards players that don't care about any of the risks.

margaritte and Duke Avery like this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

That may be your brand of PVP. That's how I feel if I play a first person shooter.

My brand of PVP is different. I don't want to play a first person shooter where the PVP is only as meaningful as the "score". I expect a lot more out of PVP here.

Wintermute of CoF and Duke Avery like this.
  4. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

You know PVP is based upon being able to attack another or vice versus, It seems you want to control how others play, if you dont like the rules of engagement dont engage, and dont open yourself for PVP. I understand what you want you want to be able to have a an event where ONLY you and whoever you Wish can PVP. That way you can keep others from doing it. This game unfortunately in that case is designed not to have players regulate how others play. Isnt there a way you can regulate who enters your basement? so you can have your own personal pvp event, without outside interference? Area of attack outside of a basement have no ability to hit those in it.

Ravicus Sales and PK U like this.
  5. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I don't have any answers, but I can tell you that I personally have never attended any of these events in a PvP POT - nor will I. I would like to, but I am not interested in being flagged for PvP just to watch an event - not going to happen for me. I have spoken to many, many other PvE'ers who feel the same way.

I for one am no longer interested in PvP at all (many years ago I was, but I'm too old and just want to have fun relaxing with a game).

You probably don't want to hear this from a non-PvP player, but I payed for my ticket just as you.

I agree that if you bought a POT - you have every right to expect to run as you want - you rented it (you can't purchase a permanent pixel), you paid for it, use it however you want - it's your imaginary town.

Have at it and ask for the tools to help you achieve your vision!

However, I can tell you from a PvE perspective - when this game goes live, if it catches on, PvPers will become the minority just as they are in most other Fantasy MMO's. And it will happen quickly. so you guys/gals need to figure this out, and do it quickly.

Why?

Because if a PvE player opts to attend what appears to be a fun event, gets flagged PvP and gets killed for any reason, they will complain and will complain very loudly about it!

And they will complain with their wallets - you don't want that to happen as it has happened time and time again across the Fantasy MMO world.

Before you know it, the only people left in this game will be hard core PvPers and griefers which contrary to what the PvP community thinks is not enough to support a full fledged Fantasy MMO.

If it was Fantasy MMO's would not shut down their PvP servers, they would not create PvE only servers etc.

I think you are creating a very good balance between PvE and PvP with this game.

However, the surest most effective way to ruin what you have started to create here and lose your investment is to cross the boundary of PvE and PvP - you need to find a way to host events that PvE'rs can feel safe attending without having to feel for their "pixel" safety.

You can tell me I don't know what I'm talking about since I don't PvP I played UO during Beta blah blah, Felucca only server blah blah and many others blah blah - who cares - I've been playing these games longer than many of you have been alive and I'm telling you there is no future in a full on, no safe haven PvP world.

Asking the PvE community to have to quest to not be PvP from the outset, will not allow this game to be successful - we don't want to grief, we don't want to PvP, we just want to hunt monsters, craft, explore, dungeon crawl and enjoy the company of like minded others.

I do believe you need the developers to help you get control of the issue the OP raises - for the good of the game.

6. Drocis the Devious

You don't understand what I want at all.

I want PVP to have more than two options:

Option 1: 100% pure chaos with no rules and no tools, did you just log into your own POT oh no you're DEAD! Watch out, you're spawn camped! Hey what are you doing, going into your own home? Look out, you just got ganked by someone hiding in your closet! Hey wait, where are you going? If you didn't want this kind of PVP then you should've picked option 2....duh.....

Option 2: 0% PVP.

That's what you're advocating blaquerogue.

Wintermute of CoF likes this.
  7. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

If the fighters in the tournament flag PVP, even in a non pvp town they will be the only ones who could be pvp'd. The only way you would be marked PVP is if you assisted them in anyway or was in a party with them. Being in a party with PVP people and on teamspeak or the like you can get an eagles eye of the fight and tell the fighter what to do (help from the sidelines) so in that case essentially you are part of that fight and deserve to be flagged.

Ravicus Sales likes this.
  8. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Hire a professional...and offer diffrent dishes of pvp and non pvp, also add factions back, allow towns to declare war on other towns. Offer battlegrounds and arenas, and most importantly make it easy to join in on pvp.

And this one is a switch for me, with gear so expensive to make id even suggest a random item loot vrs 100% of something ur wearing.

It would be terrible to plan pvp around guilds who will rarley participate in pvp other than an occasinal roleplay event. Design this system to pull people in but offer renewable fun for those that want play it.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
    Ravicus Sales and blaquerogue like this.
  9. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Baron Drocis , So you want YOUR type of PVP only??? Thats what im seeing here. On the other hand If you bought a town, i think you should have control over it whether PVP or not! You should be able to ban people from it! (i know alot of PVPrs will argue this since its considered a PVP town) but some people like you want to have a controlled environment, not your typical open world pvp area, which alot of PVP people are used to. Personally to all the Devs i dont see a problem with having control of your city you bought with real money! The only thing that would happen because of it is not too many typical pvp people would visit it. There should also be a place you can unflag from PVP (oracle) in towns like that before you leave so you dont risk getting pkd, which is what everyone seems to be afraid of, Uncontrolled PVP, So i agree that you should be able to do with your town what you want, but the way things are set up here it opens for interruption from outside forces. I wouldnt have a problem with not being able to enter your town, if you set it up that way, there is plenty of other places and town i could go to if i wished to PVP.
    It would also reduce the amount of people that come into your town and help drive business for you (sales) or (residency) or (trade). but that would be your loss, and anothers gain. Which personally i am ok with.

10. Drocis the Devious

I want pvp where all players have opportunities to have fun, not just the jerks or the overly aggressive. If that's not YOUR type of PVP, I have nothing for you.

11. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I love u bro, but I dont want anything to do with what you consider fun pvp.

No hard feeling but we will never be on the same side of a pvp discussion.

12. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

well i say that the devs give you your own town where you controll how PVP is :) the ability to ban people from the town (there could be a message "you have been banned from this town" and it kick you back to the overworld. The outlook you have is different than what others have about PVP and thats cool with me as well, to each thier own.

13. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I have to agree here as well.

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

What you want is a controlled environment.

15. Drocis the Devious

A year from now, you let me know if I'm lying to you. There will be a lot of fun PVP in Rats Nest once the devs have proper controls put in place.

16. Drocis the Devious

What I want is an environment that can provide fun.

If that were possible using your plan, Darkfall would be the number one game in the world.

17. Drocis the Devious

I have no interest in banning people from my town. That's not PVP.

18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Im sure your right, but the pvp I want to see is not town pvp but... that random encounter deep in a zone solo or group. Battle grounds and arenas. Thats my big three with the emphasis being in a zone/scene. Going 2 weeks with no random pvper in a zone makes me sad panda. Rember yew gate? Or any moon gate always a good time.

blaquerogue and Ravicus Sales like this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

I want conquest based pvp and random encounter pvp too.

But the first thing I'm worried about (as a PVP POT owner) is not turning my town into someone's PVP arena sport fantasy. :) It's supposed to be livable. Trade is supposed to be happening there. Residents are not supposed to be logging in guns blazing until they log out. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

The UO bank can't happen right now because no one would be stupid enough to keep all their stuff in a PVP town bank. :) What did UO have that this game doesn't? Guards. Effective Guards. That's step number one.

20. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

I was flagged PVP for a good while - and then I was PK'd while I had a dialog going with a vendor. I soaked it up... no biggie really - I actually don't mind the idea of getting ganked in the wild... it fits in with the storyline of SotA. But then the same guy ganked me five times in a row and he followed me across the map to an alternate spawn point when I didn't respawn at the closest ankh he was camping.

I shouldn't have been running with a PVP flag when I wasn't kitted up and ready for it.

Expecting everyone in a POT to be ready to be PKd whenever someone wants to gank them will kill POTs for a majority of players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.