Disruption of Events in PvP POT's...

Discussion in 'Housing & Lots' started by Cupid, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

Ive seen you make mention to guards several times, they only kept the reds out of town. They didnt do anything in faction based pvp unless you owned the town and were defending it. But what uo had was a system where people were rewarded and punished for thier own choices. It soulds like you want game mechanics to take the ability to choose out of it and I oppose that, its not the nature of a sandbox. also the things you want make town pvp the premire and even though I like the idea of pvp towns all other aspects of pvp should be open to players. Uo encouraged that random encounter stuff as well as group stuff, via factions and hunting parties.

If a pvp town is pvp enabled no one should have to power to boot or ban people from showing up to pvp. I know this wasnt your suggestion But I feel like it needs to be addressed. If a group shows up to your town you could ban thier healer and claim it was for role play reasons. Once you start banning people then you have people looking for an advantage or as you consider it an expliot. Pvp = pvp it needs to be that simple.

2. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

A solution might be a in game toggle to turn on and off pvp on the fly in your town. The town name can change from white to red on the out side so everyone knows.

Something like the battle flag but it actualy does something.

blaquerogue likes this.
  3. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

this is what i suspect needs to be adressed first before any futher ideas are implimented. Because this is how they were effectivly stopped in the past. And granite should be a more profitable commodity .-.

4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Not only is banning not my suggestion, I'm against it.

Here's the thing, I don't want the game to hold anyone's hand in PVP, but I also want normal social interaction to be possible in my PVP POT.

Look, what you have to realize is that we're all immortal in this game, meaning we always respawn to live and fight again. So killing people is not that big of a deal when it gets right down to it. What is a big deal is disruption of events, hurting someone's reputation, or preventing someone from doing whatever it is they would rather be doing. That's time that players can't get back.

If we're not building a system that respects that time, then a significant number of players are not going to have fun in pvp. That is why I want players to have lower threshholds of risk depending on where they go in my POT. I don't ever want players to be walking around the town 100% safe, but I do want them to be 25% safe in certain areas. What that means is that if they pay attention and watch where they're going, people that have no regard for their time will be at a huge disadvantage while they're in those areas.

This isn't anti-sandbox, it's anti-bad game. This isn't supposed to be a first person shooter. It's a roleplaying game. Even if you don't like roleplaying, even if you don't roleplay, the game needs to support other players ability to do that, otherwise it fails at what it is suppose to be. What that means is that there has to be places in pvp areas that are designed encourage players not to attack everything that moves. It doesn't stop them from doing that, but the odds are not in your favor if you do.

Duke Avery likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

That would probably make me sell off my town and stop playing this game.

6. Minerva

Minerva Avatar

I have not commented... there are many errors I am reading but this made me comment. Do we have a way to go, sure... bit Thank you devs for making a game I love!!! I ENJOY playing it!!!

I am a non PVPer who has had to lead PVP events that were pked, by some chatting I here. I did not cry... I called my allies. We did what needed to be done and moved on. Once I built a make shift area DURING the fight while Allies kept the pkers busy. Even I know that banning PKers will hurt the long run of PVP. We have a great community over all.

I also think these last few weeks have had some of the best PVP in a while, so something is going right.

About the Shooter event, we did not want the PKing but made it work, the apologies came to me AFTER the event. But Shooter wanted it in a PVP town and that is what he got. And after we all parted friends.

Let's keep this on track... PVP towns are that... PVP towns. We have also seen successful events in PVE towns, if that is what you want.

Are there improvements that can be made? Sure. But all of this has sure brought the discussions about PVP to light, that is always good.

But again, @Chris @DarkStarr Thank you for this wonderful game that I plan to enjoy for a decade. My PVE and RP, my oldest son with his PVP and RP and my younger son with his PKing. Maybe one day more family. But the game is big enough for all.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2016
  7. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I agree with that but by being in a pvp town its not just thier event. The people that come to that town to pvp has claim on that space as well. How about thier time and thier rights. The town owner stated that its the intent of the town.

My advice is be prepared for pvp if you hold an event in a pvp town, or have the owner make it non pvp or pick another location.

blaquerogue and Ravicus Sales like this.
  8. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Currently, pvp towns are the only PvP zones that still force you to spawn at a preset location. But there is an invulnerability timer that allows you to avoid being killed that way if you dont want to. Using recalls is the current method of getting around that, but other than that, i have seen them impliment a mechanic where entering a scene from a particualr direction causes you to spawn in and different corresponding points, and i think that will be implimented int he future. Currently for other PvP ares, you spawn in at a random location close tot he edge of the scene, so spawn camping cannot occur there.

As for the difference between PKing and PvP, there technically is little. Player versus Player usually refers to the ability to fight other players in general, while PKing jsut implies that you kill other players. And the ability to PK is desired by plenty

blaquerogue likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

If it sounds like I'm saying the people that came to the PVP town don't have rights, that's not what I intended to say. I'm saying that if you're holding an event right now, it takes a lot to secure that event. It takes TOO MUCH in my opinion. In other words, playing defense is very difficult in this game right now. It's not impossible, but it's clearly not something that the average player or POT owner is capable of doing. (i.e. it doesn't scale well and it's not reliable as I stated before on the first page of this thread)

But to play offense, that's easy. You just show up with as many people as you can and kill stuff. Respawn and kill stuff.

What I'm saying is that the defense needs help. The defense needs tools to balance out THE GAME so that it's more fun. If we do that, we'll see more people enjoy and participate in pvp. If we don't, we'll see more people on defense quit and more people on offense have trouble finding people to fight against until they eventually quit.

10. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

Vengeance has been usign the idea of building a wall around the main town area, and having a small lot at the ggate to ban peopel from entering the walls. It was effective at stopping small groups or individuals from entering the town, and made it easy to unban folks once they had left, and the crafier PKs teamed up and stood on each others heads to get LOS to pop-shot over our shorter walls :p.

So having the LOS issues and AoE's fixed will help alot

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The POT owner set the POT to PvP. This is open PvP not conditional PvP. I hope you can see their point here.

I know there is desire to have a controlled event but that's not possible currently. Warping open PvP in a POT to have controls isn't the correct solution.

blaquerogue, PK U and Ravicus Sales like this.
  12. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

All they need, once LOS and aoe stuff is fixed should be walls. And a spare lot

Minerva, Violation Clauth and PK U like this.
  13. Gideon Thrax

Gideon Thrax Avatar

After being PKd so many times in a short period of time, the game triggers a death penalty... so not only are you being singled out and exploited for being weaker but then the game smacks you down for dying too much.

Sorry - but that is not PVP.

Maybe POTs need a third alternative - PVE and PVP (with some governance mechanics) and PK openworld murder killer. Folks that want PK in their towns can opt-in for it.

Josh Randall likes this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, I get it.

But now we just took the long way around to ban people. I'm not in favor of that. I would much rather see PK's have an opportunity to bust into an event only to be one shot killed by NPC Archers. Or perhaps they take out an NPC Archer in a key spot and that opens up an attack vector that allows for a temporary lapse in security. I have no problem with those scenarios because they have both minimal impact and low likelihood. The risk is reduced and most players would say "that was really cool" as things returned to normal.

If groups of PK's want to spend their entire day planning out elaborate ways to defeat the security of a town, more power to them. What should not happen however is just saying "well it's open pvp so welcome to the purge!"

15. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

I went to that town to check it out, I saw the wall and loved it. It would be cool if there were more in game stuff to use in town for pvp

blaquerogue likes this.
  16. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

This isnt possible unless the victim allows it.

Minerva and blaquerogue like this.
  17. Drocis the Devious

I'll give you another example...

Say someone in a non-pvp POT wants to have a designated PVP area where they can joust or have sanctioned duels with 2v2 contestants. These people will have the same problems that PVP POT owners have, they will just be restricted to whomever steps into that area.

The answer is not to say, "well even though the only reason that area exists is to have a 2v2 fight, they should just expect other people to randomly jump in and ruin everything because that area is open pvp!" That's just stupid. And I'm not saying we should limit that area to 2v2, I'm just saying that there should be a way to reasonably CONTAIN that area so that anyone stupid enough to walk in there uninvited will get the holly crap kicked out of them by NPC guards. It's still possible, but it's not in any way encouraged.

Josh Randall likes this.
  18. Brass Knuckles

Brass Knuckles Avatar

The pvp system is bad in this game and needs alot of love.

19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I like the idea of guards, but id rather see them be soemthing like hirelings that can only be summoned in a PoT and are really strong, but not one shottign or invicible

20. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I think the more (whatever short of PVP people are..ie own rules set etc...) the more those peoples town will get events pvp'd/pk'd upon its only grieving if you let it bother you and if you do then obviously there are other ways to avoid it (un flag, town or self) one thing most PVP type people that have been pkd, have in common is that they dont let it bother them. SO UNFLAG!!! We already have a watered down type of PVP which sucks in my opinion, Im tired of hearing people complain about PVP when they have an option to unflag town or player. It sounds like to me there are a lot of people that have a "my way or no way" feeling. You have to understand this game is not personally built around individuals, its based around many from different likes, when you start attacking one type of player and taking from them they attack back and start taking from you. This is such a Kindergarten argument, "you have to play my way or not play" mentality! The game cannot revolve just around you (speaking in general here) whether PVP or not. Suck it up and drive on! In others words deal with what you have, a lot of us have to do the same.

Ravicus Sales likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.