Dont forget about RARES! RARES! RARES!

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Ron_Silverbeard, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Definately just giving opinions...not saying mine are any better then yours or whatnot...not a war by any means.

2. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

I am disgusted by the idea of Rares. Rares are non-craftable objects and I am aggressively against it. It promotes grinding and discourages role playing. Instead of trying to interact with each other to create the best sword from sword makers with the best spells bound to it from mages; people just sit there and grind a mob. It turns the game into an item based game instead of a social based game.

Sure you may need multiple people to take out a monster that has a rare... but it's rarely(excuse the pun) on a social level. Its drone like automated. I dont want to see any rares unless they are calling highly crafter items by players rare.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  3. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

Why cant it come from NPC's crafting too? U7 had this and was single player offline.

4. Sir Bradley White

Sir Bradley White Avatar

As far as I know, no loot is dropped by creatures that isn't introduced into the system by player crafted items. So I don't think there are any rare items dropped by mobs (someone can correct me if I am wrong). I would like to see crafter rares though. Say there is a .001% change of a table being crafter just a little differently then what it should. A lot of things can be into crafting rares, I just hope the percentage of it happening is so rare that it is actually... rare, and not uncommon.

That is just talking about online. Have no idea what they are going to do for loot offline.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Nope, rares are not necessarily non-craftable, there are many types of rares in all shapes and sizes, many rares from UO were crafted, I crafted some myself,
    the game was patched and the way in which they were crafted could not be repeated, perhaps the text was a little different, perhaps the color was a little different,
    perhaps an NPC sold an item and there was a patch and the NPC no longer sells this item. If you want to get a good idea of the rares already in the game take
    a look at the founder rewards & even the current pledge rewards.

What I am against are the amazingly awesome items that are in the store post-release for a limited time only, like "Black Boots of Mega Deth!" Buy Now! 24 hours
    only and they are gone! Those type of marketing tactics are annoying. Sever birth rares were always fun, daily spawn rares were boring. Rare loot drops will exist
    but hopefully won't be anywhere as bad as other games where grinding is the only thing anyone does. There's a balance and as long as there are enough rares
    and not too many it should be good for the economy.

Burnden Park likes this.
  6. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

Liche loot I found was; Epic Plate Boots, Epic Plate Leggings, Epic Plate Gloves, Epic Plate Helmet, Staff, Liche Axe, Gold Ore, Gold

Now this was pre-alpha and they will patch it out supposedly, but what's with the name of the armor, "Epic Plate"? That sounds very
    parody-ish, like the parody MMO Dungeon Runners, that game was fun because you knew it was a parody, but this game obviously
    isn't attempting to be a parody and in my opinion should not have names like "Epic" it ruins the immersion for me, as that term is way too
    modern, at least in the way it's being used. Diablo 2 had some creative magic item names, it isn't that hard to come up w/.

Time Lord and Lord Baldrith like this.
  7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I kinda hope people realize this is not the UO engine, tile based. Unity doesn't work the same way.

8. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Why is no one talking about the thee naked chicks! Rares, magic weapons, I don't see it beyond those beauties. ;)

Time Lord, The One, tradyblix and 2 others like this.
  9. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

If your definition of rare is about player craft-able items... I cna be fine with that. Yes the "24 hours to get boots of speed" kind of stuff is not good.

Ofcourse they may just do what League of Legends does... make an epic champion, wait for a month till everyone spend money to buy it; then nerf it! lol they are so bad. I wouldn't spend a dime on League of Legends for that reason.

10. Red Rackham

Red Rackham Avatar

I love collecting rares in UO! I loved the arbitrary ones which would be only useful as a decoration in a house, because they were immediately identifiable and simply existed as a status item...

I agree that a push for craftable rares (especially those done by a team of different professions) would be a fresh, fantastic idea. Especially if there were 'blueprints' for rare items which could only be looted from a badass monster which could only be crafted with a combination of crafts, skills, magic and other fulfilled blueprints.

Of course, rare drops from a hard monster are also a must!

Time Lord, Lord Baldrith and WebTeam like this.
  11. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

I'am disgusted by your suggestion of no rares. Rares are non-craftable objects and I am aggressively supportive. It promotes exploration and adventure. Instead of just sitting around making boring craftables all day; people actually go out and explore the lands for lost treasure. It turns the game into an even deeper and more immersive experience.

12. Red Rackham

Red Rackham Avatar

Crafting! Grinding! Searching!

All good endeavours to uncover rares!

Yay!

13. WebTeam

WebTeam Avatar

Good point! I have no problem with arbitrary ones. I retract my statement to only rares that give additional powers I disagree with.

Someone made a good point about rares that dont do power boosts... so I would like to retract my statement to only rares that give power boost I am disgusted by. Arbitrary ones that are easter eggs are good with me.

14. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I would assume that craftable rares need exploration to create via mats and receipe discovery...Well that would at least take away the non-exploration aspect of just crafting all day to make them...

Time Lord likes this.
  15. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

I am a big fan of the "NO DRAW" tile. Rares craftable or obtained by server birth is one of the biggest reasons I love to play. The only way a item that is craftable can be a rare is if that item were only able to be crafted for a limited time, and each crafter would be limited ability to craft only a few. Other wise over time it would not be a rare item.

Gaelis and Burnden Park like this.
  16. Father Aquila

Father Aquila Avatar

Agree. You don't craft rares.

IMO, as a relatively small but serious ex-rares collector I doubt I will buy crafted stuff to collect. To trade yes, but it is unlikely to be the sort of stuff I would want to put in a personal museum - after all more will be crafted. Again this is just me, but the sort of stuff I collected in UO included 2 story movable statute, phoenix armor, dirty frying pans and on a less desirable but necessarily collectible level, holiday gifts (I loved potted plants ) bells, whispering roses etc. We the collectors will determine what a rare is.

I intend to buy up as many unique founder/benefactor gifts and property deeds as I can. The higher level the better. They ain't coming back. IMO, these are rares worth collecting. But hey, that is not to say I wont trade in quasi-unique craftable items :)

Gaelis and Time Lord like this.
  17. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

It's a bit weird get some "likes" more than one year after.

I liked the first rare of the game, and was a glitch (the best rares): the white armor of the R1.

18. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I had one of those 255 stone no draw tiles, also had a water tile in a box you could fish in, never found fish but it was cool, some other nice rares were; a wig you couldn't wear and a tambourine that played bird noises instead of tambourine noises, my rarest rare was a blue magic key given to me by a GM when I lost my house keys, got 2 of em.

Time Lord and Eriador like this.
  19. Eriador

Eriador Avatar

I had also the "black hole"! My personal favorite was my full collection of mini houses. Its a pitty that everything is lost.

20. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

What got me started into rares collecting was I found my first two "real" rares in a collapsed house, a kettle, and a deck of cards. After that I could not stop collecting.

It was a sad day when the artifact system was copying old rares.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.