Don't go into the woods at night, well, without a light source

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nataurz, Dec 26, 2015.

?

What do you do when it is night time in game and you are in the woods?

1. I immerse, I love it !

18 vote(s)
    48.6%
  2. I constantly wish my character was Riddick.

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. I take the opportunity to do IRL stuff like talk to the family, bio break ect...

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  4. I alt tab/look at dual monitor and catch up on FB.

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
  5. I run blindly around getting lost and aggroing every mob in the zone.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  6. I AFK and come back when it is light.

10 vote(s)
    27.0%
  7. I sit 1 inch from the monitor looking for any trace of a landmark and hitting tab constantly.

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  8. I do a quick bit of work waiting for day time.

5 vote(s)
    13.5%
  9. I wish it was darker!

7 vote(s)
    18.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redfish

redfish Avatar

Field crafting at a camp would be great ;> Plus dealing with ambush encounters at your camp, etc. ;>

2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I use the Knight's cloak and Knight Marshal's winged helmet, which are both light sources.

smack and Ice Queen like this.
  3. Black Orchid

Black Orchid Avatar

obsolutely right the the murkier the better . just watch what you step on and remember if Shadows move in the dark they are coming :eek:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  4. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I challenge you to walk outside in the forest in real life without a light. I bet you get scared and/or trip over branches and such. This is what I want for RP elements. You can take night vision or lamps or the light spell to help you if you need it. But nights should be dark, and you should be hesitant to go out during them without help or sufficient lighting. What you want is to nerf nights and make it bland for role players such as myself. It does take imagination, and lots of it to role play. This is a RPG by the way.

Miracle Dragon and Ice Queen like this.
  5. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Except if I had to go out in the woods at night (never really had to though, lol) I'd be be carrying a flash light or headlamp and a gun, I'm not carrying a sword with me, and angry fantasy creatures aren't trying to kill me. :) I think most people would just be happy if the brightness slider would move just a bit farther over to lighten it up a bit. I don't think anyone wants to ruin the darkness for others that like it, they just would like more options if they don't prefer to play with it that dark. That wouldn't kill it for roleplayers that love the pitch black so much, and both sides would be happy. :)

Acred, Mata, Sheriff and 4 others like this.
  6. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I have found that it might not be that simple, as I have different monitors and one makes it look like daytime at night and one is pitch black lol.

Miracle Dragon, Peabo and Ice Queen like this.
  7. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I really don't mind if you like the dark, give the players who don't like it an option to turn the darkness off or brightness up - why do you feel everyone must play how you like?

8. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Aye, that could be. We have 8 monitors between us in my family some are different than others, but all have to be adjusted to be able to see in the dark with Sota, none have to be with other games that are played though. :(

Sheriff, Ravicus Domdred and Peabo like this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I don't feel like everyone should play like me, I just do not want other people to rob me of my choice. Hence I speak up about it. :) Just as you have.

Miracle Dragon, Peabo and Ice Queen like this.
  10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

Which is why I like the compromising choice, the brightness slider helped out a whole lot when they introduced it, but just needs to go a little bit further for me. :) I want everyone to have fun while they're playing their way. :)

Acred, Mata, Sheriff and 2 others like this.
  11. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

one other reason is it is needed to have the light spell and the night vision/moon magic work. If people can see without these spells then they become obsolete.

Miracle Dragon and Ice Queen like this.
  12. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Ice Queen, @Peabo,

I don't think its good in the end if people are playing two separate games. Plus, it'll matter in situations like PvP in ways that are obvious. People are going to be using darkness for stealth. But even for PvE people, I just think its bad to create many different versions of the same game. Then, light spells are suddenly also degraded, and night vision, and torches, and a whole game mechanic is turned off with a switch. Should dungeons also be made brighter, too, or is it just night that's a problem?

IMO, I think they just start with darkness, and then work from there. Make torches and other light sources work decently, and provide other ways for players to make their way in the dark. I also think things to do when its dark, like camping, will make the game better.

Instead of making two different game experiences, you then have two or more different ways of playing the same game, with different game choices, and tie it all together with role-playing. So you're playing the game differently, rather than playing two different games.

And of course there needs to be some brightness control, too, obviously, because people's screens are different, but the brightness control shouldn't shut off a game mechanic IMO.

13. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I hope they work on the light spell this next year, maybe instead of an annoying ball floating over your head in the way they could make it work like the cloaks and helmets we have from the pledge rewards and cast that sort of light around us instead. I'd even like to see flares we can throw down around us as we walk through or something to light places up.

Acred, Sheriff, smack and 2 others like this.
  14. Kacey Cupcakes

Kacey Cupcakes Avatar

I AM the thing that goes bump in the night. The creatures in the forest would be wise to stay clear no mater the visibility or light range.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

I'm hoping we'll able to use darkness better to stealth against NPCs, too. They'll be able to stealth better against us, too, if they have an advantage. ;> But darkness adds another dimension to combat and gameplay.

16. Abraxas

Abraxas Avatar

Night time is certainly a time for playing more carefully. It's a little stressful, but I see that as a good thing. Often times I summon my pheonix which ads a little light that isn't right on my character the whole time. I don't use the light spell as much anymore, instead I use night vision whenever I don't know where I'm going, but it's not needed for fighting.

Night time get's a thumbs up from me.

Miracle Dragon and Birko like this.
  17. Womby

Womby Avatar

Options:
    1. light spell
    2. torch
    3. Night Vision (first entry on moon magic skill tree)
    4. Knight's cloak, Lord's cloak, Knight Marshal's winged helm
    5. hide
    6. run around screaming, bumping into trees
    7. embrace the dark

Miracle Dragon, Acred, Birko and 2 others like this.
  18. Birko

Birko Avatar

An AoE darkness spell would be fun, especially underground.
    A temporary AoE that disables light sources.
    It might exist already, but I'm not aware of it.

Miracle Dragon, Spoon, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Yes, its in spellweaving; Light + Juxtapose --> Darkness

Miracle Dragon, Birko and smack like this.
  20. smack

smack Avatar

They need to do a ton more passes at the lighting in the game. And I do hope they consider using GI at some point. Something's really funky and strange going on with the way scenes are lit vs the skybox. And yeah, fix all the light sources, especially that annoying light ball.

Sheriff and Ice Queen like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.