Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Dude, where's my house?

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Astrobia, Jan 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

So testing something I claimed a row lot in Ardoris yesterday. Today I remembered that and decided I should unclaim so someone else can use it since I don't plan too... Ran into a snag. I couldn't find it again. :p
    Running around in Ardoris, looking at signs... Are you my house? No... Are you my house?

I now realise both that you can zone to your house and unclaim it without going to it... But the lesson remains, so with zone being removed in the near future perhaps it would be prudent to add a personal map marker for players claimed lots.

strabo and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  2. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

@Astrobia Think the town crier helps out?

Ice Queen likes this.
  3. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Don't know. Tried asking the guards who are who I usually ask about lots.

4. Leynael

Leynael Avatar

The towncrier has a list with names in front of the claimed lots. You can mark yours and set 'compass destination'
    A green arrow in the compass leads you to your home :)

Ronan, Daxxe Diggler and Xandra7 like this.
  5. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

Cool. It's a start. Now... How to find the town crier...

6. Lained

Lained Avatar

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  7. Leynael

Leynael Avatar

When you enter Ardoris from the world map go over the bridge. there the towncrier stands on the left side

8. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

There was a suggestion that your home should have a colored marker on the compass if it's in the town. I support that suggestion!

stratigos, Lace, Duke Lorimus and 6 others like this.
  9. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

In Ardoris you don't need the town crier. Ask any guard in town about "lots" and you will get the same information that the town crier supplies, including the list of all claimed and unclaimed lots. Keep that list active after ending the conversation with the guard, and you can find any or all of the lots in town by adding them to your compass one by one. In Ardoris just be mindful that you have to be in town long enough for all the data to load in the background before talking to a guard, or the guard will give you incomplete information. Several releases ago I discovered that the guards outside of the city wall on the bridge leading to town didn't respond to the question about lots. I don't know if that is still the case.

4EverLost and Katrina Bekers like this.
  10. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Adoris is a good example of getting lost because it just doesn't make sense...

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

You can unclaim lots from your U window, even from all the way across Novia, and the deed will appear in your inventory. I think the house deed comes too, but I don't remember. If the house was empty, you don't even need to go back to pull stuff out of the bank.

12. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

you just click outside chat window hit the 'u' key and highlight your lot and zone to lot or unclaim there too.

Stahlknecht likes this.
  13. Astrobia

Astrobia Avatar

14. HoustonDragon

HoustonDragon Avatar

I want this feature in real life when moving :p

15. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

That is way too abuseable, sorry. No discussion :p

HoustonDragon likes this.
  16. Lace

Lace Avatar

One of the nicest features in ESO was the ability to go to your guild roster or friends list and zone to someone. I know I know we won't have that. (I do like that easy street feature though). I do get the no zoning to someone coming out of the game to make you walk and explore, but.... If you have claimed a house somewhere, that means you have been there. Would sure be nice to be able to still zone to your house. Think about hauling all the water to water your crops (which I know is supposed to be coming from other sources at some point). What about after a long hunting spree? Now you get to spend all this time walking home to plop the stuff in your chests.

Without a home zone, most of your gaming time is going to be spent walking and walking, or you are forced to only hunt near your house. Just a thought that goes along with this thread.

17. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Localization forces a stronger game culture, more engagement, and better community. "Zoning" eliminates these things, and makes for a pretty boring, one-dimensional game (re: all the threads about "fedex" quests...).

So yes, its nice in virtual reality that you have to walk all the way home to water your plants, or have a friend do it for you. It makes your quest feel, well, epic.

I am feeling the pain right now. Im a linux player, and a freelancer, so although I have the freedom to work from my bedroom and log into the game the moment a release launches and get prime real estate in Ardoris, I havent been able to play until last night when Build 374 was released. All the good spots are taken. So now I finally found a house out in "the middle of no where," and have to walk long distances to get "somewhere." The ability to zone feels really good right now. But I know the result is - Ill likely never meet my neighbors, never see them around this PoT I am in, and will rarely see any other adventurers in this area.

If we were all forced to walk, we might get to know each other a bit more. Its a state of conflict, I want the ease of zoning, but I also want a community that hangs around.

...and honestly, on that note, every release up until now I have lived in Ardoris, right next to the town square. It was extremely rare that I saw other players, except for a quick flash entering and exiting the city. I think "teleporting" and related skills just being handed to players hurts chances of local communities forming in an organic way.

It should be a compromise - skills that allow teleporting that come at a price (have to have a "runestone" for the location, reagents, and a magic scroll/wand/spellcaster, and heavy "mana" cost or something). Teleporting should not be a trivial matter, but a PITA to use when a real journey is simply not feasible, too dangerous, or some other emergency. Games with "turbolifts" like in star trek just cause players to interact with each other less. The moon gates are great, especially since theyre at static locations. Every player shouldnt just have a moon gate in their pocket, thats just silly, and I can play WoW or some other trite game if I just want an experience handed to me on a silver platter.

Sorry, just trying to discipline myself there ;-). Now its time for a long walk to "somewhere".

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  18. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Very good post... that was exactly what led to the special rules on the siege perilous server in UO, what do you think about that kind of compromise ? :)

19. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

I like it, if thats the standard server type ;-). I like it less if its just one special server and all the others are in "E-Z Mode".

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Yea well @stratigos ... can't have everything sadly. Regardless Siege was one of the best and closest knit communities I've ever been part of. Even the murderers were friendly and would never let a new player without equipment, they would give it back or not loot because they knew every action mattered and the more players you made loyal to your style of gameplay the more action you would have down the road. Thats karma in action... only "enlightened" players that have been through the abyss understand what you are talking about.

This is exactly what the devs want for this game, but alas I'm afraid they understood the whole concept backwards... they say strong economy, land rush, a land where communities grow organically... those are all keywords that mature people on siege understood because they lived it. The main point pertaining to our little convo is that the economy was completely shut off from the rest of the players and thus you could care less if the others were in EZmode... many other rules reinforced this superb ruleset.

Understand there is no insult intended in my observation... I think the devs are great, but its just key words and empty promises if you have no experience of WHY, WHEN, WHO and WHERE.

I can tell you for certain that only the siege players understood siege, and the person who had the idea first, still ; noone was able to get a confirmation if it really was LB who had the idea to make this separate server. At least we can hope someone in the origin dev team who might be in portalarium (big maybe) understood siege and why it was created.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.