Eating Our Friends RG talked about this...

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Time Lord, May 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eli Fox

Eli Fox Avatar

I think in this day and age more people are offended by CENSORSHIP!!!

GTA 5 #1 ALL TIME BEST SELLER-- has missions for Trevor Phillips to deliver hitchhikers to a CANNIBAL CULT!!!

2. redfish

redfish Avatar

3. crossbowsoda

crossbowsoda Avatar

Yeah, this right here...

Can't say I understand it.

It's okay to kill indiscriminately, desecrate corpses, etc. but you better leave the silverware home? Sounds like bs.

Anyway, still on the road back to my place. May have a rough copy put together tonight of some base ideas to sound out amongst you guys. We can bounce something around and see what folks think..

4. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I am very happy that common and un-common are all stating their views here and being heard. We do need your opinions, ideas, aye, nay and anything else you have to offer on this subject, because we all live here.

:oops:
    I would also like to point out, that "we are becoming a very connected community" and I think that is a very good thing ;)!
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

5. High Baron O`Sullivan

High Baron O`Sullivan Avatar

6. Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea

Anosa Saycosie of Gilnea Avatar

I am a big fan of walking dead.........Time Lord definitely does bring some interesting ideas to the table....

Imagine a secondary market for it too!

[​IMG]

7. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

So.. who said raising a rotting corpse of indiscriminate killing was ok? Though I find the hypocrisy argument to be a distraction tactic from the primary issue. What players are being exposed to.. not just what they see but what's being done to THEIR characters that they invest time and energy into.

8. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

9. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Incidentally since GTA was brought up. Never played.. never will. For that matter I'm personally boycotting Rockstar. They'll never see a penny of my money I can promise you that.

@redfish Every one of those bodies was returned home for proper burial. :) (Well cremation)..

10. redfish

redfish Avatar

Were they allowed funerals where their loved ones could attend and come to peace with their passing?

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I would have to assume the NPC responsible for those sorts of things would have taken care of it. Sadly I was not allowed to attend.

12. Miganarchine

Miganarchine Avatar

13. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    One thing that has not come up here is, that our Lord British is a Joker, a Teaser and has depth into many things that can at first seem hideous. Then as we venture deeper into his quests, we find that they were not as seemingly shocking as we had first thought they were. He combines all things, makes connections that reach inside us and help us see what is truly there where the questions of life lay still unanswered.

Do we still believe the children that we encountered were all that bad to have posed a question to us from ultima?

14. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

If it's quest-related then that's perhaps a different issue than if it's purely players killing other PCs in PvP and choosing to eat them. If it were a moral dilemma posed as part of a quest and we had to make a choice about it, it would presumably be something that would only crop up once or twice and not be seen all around us all the time, and I could accept that.

With regard to things that others have mentioned recently, too - as well as not taking part in anything related to cannibalism if I can possibly avoid it, I also would not participate in things such as skinning sentient creatures regardless of race (animals are not within the same parameters IMO as they've long been hunted for skins, furs and food), creating zombies, necromancy or other forms of dark/blood magic.

If I kill a bandit or elf, I would take their gold or equipment and nothing more - if skins, scalps or body parts were offered, they'd be left behind! (I would hope that if that kind of looting was in the game I'd have the option to turn it off, but I wouldn't insist that it's not there at all. I'd prefer that it wasn't, but choice is good.)

15. tomsawyer

tomsawyer Avatar

I would like to be able to kill someone, cut up their body, then cook and eat the body parts. Just stating my opinion and I am out.

16. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

"Huckleberry Finn RIP"
    [​IMG]
    tomsawyer <---<<< If we don't hear from Huckleberry Finn soon :(

17. rild

rild Avatar

Yes, let's all remember this is a discussion, not a decision-making thread.

I would argue for cannibalism to be included in the lore somehow (even if not explicitly), to have positive and negative impacts on the character, including a visual cue after a certain "point of no return". Bringing it to the level of legend and myth will allow it to take a better place - vampires and werewolves in part act as a metaphor for untamed lust, loneliness and feelings of the outcast, disease or contagion, unrequited love, the role of morality in human existence, and much more. If we allow it to take its place in the world of New Britannia, it can become appropriately taboo or not in that world based on the sentiments and actions of the characters dwelling there. If done subtly we get layers and layers of lore beneficial to the store. If not, we end up with thinly veiled social commentary a la Twilight.

I think this option would provide much more than "a bit of silliness". This is why I argue that there should be a way for other characters and NPCs to tell when a person has been a cannibal. This actually COULD be blood on the face or something, or maybe your eyes turn red after yea many corpses. People should be scared of murdering cannibals. I don't think it bodes well for this game to take something super serious and potentially offensive and make it a joke - not if we want people to treat other aspects of this game seriously, especially not if we're trying to encourage an RP atmosphere, which we are.

Any feature included should fit the mission of the game. We're not just trying to provoke people, we're trying to induce critical thinking and real RP skills, meaningful interaction with the story, and world with CONSEQUENCE. This feature would have a particularly strong meaning when combined with the one-character per account rule.

Also, I strongly disagree with further splitting characters into instances based on their play style. This game is supposed to reduce the separation of population, except where requested by the player (i.e. friends play or solo play).

However, if RG, Starr, Tracy & the development team do not see a valid place for this feature in the storyline and themes of the game, then I do not think it makes sense to implement it. Is anyone familiar with positive/negative press involving these themes in UO?

18. rild

rild Avatar

to clarify:

I believe that literalizing metaphors of moral/ethical themes, deep fears and revulsion, hopes and dreams, love and other powerful emotions, is exactly what myth-making is about and can provide us some of the most effective and accessible opportunities to deal with these traits in our own character and in the world around us. We make them tangible in order to touch them and in some cases slay them or exile them from ourselves. Like the motions of a stage actor, sometimes this requires exaggeration.

19. Maka

Maka Avatar

Maka, the other, other, other, white freckled meat. o_O

20. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

Well one way to deal with those children is to put them to sleep! I got that tidbit from Lord British himself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.