"Elves as a playable race", how does it fit in New Britannia lore?

Discussion in 'Fire Lotus Tavern' started by AvatarGG, Jun 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaelis

Gaelis Avatar

but it would be magnificent if elven in SotA are unique from other games ( if they are playable), maybe in Numas way :)

Miracle Dragon, Numa and Time Lord like this.
  2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

[​IMG]
    Numa said;

Even if the Elves weren't regarded as enemies, strolling into a (human) town as one should be a very different experience. Some townspeople would regard you with awe, or fear or even hatred. A few may even refuse to speak with you much less sell you something.

One neat thing I'd like to see - if it fits the lore - is that viewing using elven sight would render the landscape or scene somewhat off-kilter. There's a true story about the famous impressionist painter , Claude Monet, which illustrates my point. Here's the link, it's a somewhat eerie but lovely story :

http://petapixel.com/2012/04/17/the-human-eye-can-see-in-ultraviolet-when-the-lens-is-removed/

Late in his life, Claude Monet developed cataracts. As his lenses degraded, they blocked parts of the visible spectrum, and the colors he perceived grew muddy. Monet’s cataracts left him struggling to paint; he complained to friends that he felt as if he saw everything in a fog. After years of failed treatments, he agreed at age 82 to have the lens of his left eye completely removed. Light could now stream through the opening unimpeded. Monet could now see familiar colors again. And he could also see colors he had never seen before. Monet began to see–and to paint–in ultraviolet.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ~TL~
    "That, is a very cool thought!!!"

I don't know if it's possible, but it would add so much quality to the elven if colors could be transformed somehow "without providing the player with any sort of headache from the color change".

Is that even Possible?
    If it were, this would be something that no other game I've seen has. "There could be things in the world that only the elves could see, and thus need to become sought out by adventuring Avatars for inclusion in their hunting party because of this ability. Possibly they could read scripts of ingame paper that normal humans can't and other such things. yet also, it could also be possible, that as a consequence of this ability, that they may not be able to see or read some things the way humans can. o_O

On the other side of this, with regard to headaches of drastic color changes of what the eye could see, the elves could possible have a brighter day and a brighter night, "which could help the world light up it's play-ability during the nighttime settings".

Just thoughts on that wonderful thought of Numa's line of idea...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

3. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Like Time Lord above; I, too, fully endorse Numa's idea of elven alternative player perspective. It's a brilliant idea and completely natural! (Think other animal's seeing abilities compared to human's, for example bees.)

Numa and Time Lord like this.
  4. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Personally, I would much rather have Undead as a playable race. They exist ingame and they are, or at least were, human, so it isn't that much of a stretch from the original concept of playing one's self transported to the virtual world of New Britannia. Playing an Undead character could be explained by that something went horribly wrong in the transgression from our realm to the realm of New Britannia. Then one simply roleplays one character from there. If there should be a need to differentiate between Undead and living Humans, then Undead might see the world in monochrome vision, or see just as well in the dark - or both!

5. Ravicus Domdred

Ravicus Domdred Avatar

agreed, there should be options. :)

Time Lord and Devoid like this.
  6. Karrolanth

Karrolanth Avatar

Although I'm not a big fan of 'undead PCs' (seen way to many people RPing vampires lately!), I actually like that idea better than the thought of PC elves for this game as it makes more sense to me right now. They would just need to make sure that such characters weren't overpowered compared to regular humans.

I posted my elf question again in the Q&A thread for this week - please vote it up if you'd like some answers as much as I would! :)

7. Numa

Numa Avatar

Thanks for all the support :)

http://www.colormatters.com/color-matters-for-kids/how-animals-see-color

[​IMG]

Taking off from the points of @Devoid and @Timelord , I"d like to see Elves "see" symbols & precursors heralding weather changes, subtle cues invisible to human eyes which indicate the quality & craftsmanship of an object and even signs that indicate the type of magic being cast.

There is this anecdote about colorblind people being able to pick out camouflaged objects & persons that are difficult for people with normal vision to see since the former see colors in a different way. Elven sight could be something like that, which would explain the lethality of Elven archers in the woodlands.

Time Lord and Devoid like this.
  8. Numa

Numa Avatar

After some thought , I decided to support the Elves stretch goal by getting the Elven bow. I figured this would go well with the spyglass (Boats stretch goal) and neither would be a waste of my time (& money) since both are fully functional from the get go.

My advice to those who want Orcs, Dwarves, Undead etc in the game is to do the same. To get the races we really want - Elves first have to come into being in SOTA.

[​IMG]

*from Deviant Art site*

9. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

I bought all three Elven armor sets for similar reasons. Plus they looks pretty cool and I'll be happy to use them in game.

Fingers crossed we get those elves in! More options is always a good thing.

Ariella, Time Lord and Numa like this.
  10. Numa

Numa Avatar

I never liked full plate armor since I do prize mobility. If R8 is a hit then the Elven archer armor and a few other things will be on my list this August :)

Time Lord and DancingShade like this.
  11. DancingShade

DancingShade Avatar

Good choice! I think of the three Elven sets the archer armor is easily the best looking.

Time Lord and Numa like this.
  12. Knight-Errant

Knight-Errant Avatar

I for one would very much like to play as a dwarf but only if I does not contradict any game lore.

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  13. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

More than I care to! But i have no problem with elves here, honestly. I think that when it comes down to it, yeah were humans from earth as avatars but nothing says the character itself is supposed to be an exact replica, its a representation of us in this land. Nothing says when were pulled through what wed look or act like :) Maybe the humans on earth and their link with the people of britannia have some genetic heritage?

crossbowsoda and Ariella like this.
  14. Myrcello

Myrcello Avatar

Was wondering how many had the same vision the first time they did see the Elves of SotA.

I had instantly this in front of my head. :)

[​IMG]

I think the Eyes and the Skin color and the shape of the mouths always remind me on them.

[​IMG]

Miracle Dragon, Mata and Net like this.
  15. Oakwind

Oakwind Avatar

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.