"Exotic" recipes in Supply Bundles

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Waxillium, Aug 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Does anyone else think this is currently insane? I'm normally interested in changes but this seems poorly planned.

Do drops vary by region? Do drops vary by mob type?

I think this could be fun but instead it's just confusing.

I should know that I hunt archers for all bow related recipes. Mages for all alchemy recipes. Elementals for all smelting recipes. Kobolds for blunt recipes etc.

Patterns already work this way and it makes sense. Want a mage staff pattern? Go kill mages wielding them!

Could you imagine being new to this game?

"Where do I get a bone plate recipe?" "Oh you need to go to the forums or discord trade outside of the game and ask if one has dropped. Hopefully that person is a) selling b) playing c) checks the forums. Or you can wander and look at every vendor in the game but you may not find it that way. Good luck!"

2. Numa

Numa Avatar

The current way of distributing complex revipes through random mob drops irrespective of mob type or location makes no sense. Better to have it as an item on a specific vendor at a specific place during a special time of the novian year.

Lore would back it up which is more than i can say about the current system.

3. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't think that our basic recipes should be drops. Perhaps discoverable with skill progression or surprises as we are making things. The only dropped recipes should be rare and unusual recipes.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  4. Aartemis

Aartemis Avatar

IMO the major problem is not placing recipe drops bundles, because its good to make some things rare, BUT in a player driven economy, the ones who DO know it should be able to pass it on. Rather then simply having Teachable/Not Teachable, set the teaching to be production level based. If you are 30 levels above where you needed to be to learn it, you can teach it....GM's can teach anything once a day... Let the DEVS figure out the rules, that's above my pay grade but the point is, there needs to be alternate routes and what better then other players? the whole non-teachable rares need to be re implemented, IMO.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?posts/866420/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...y-bundle-contents-what-why.98235/#post-866113
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?posts/866420/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?posts/867280/
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?posts/853963/

I did this two time and deleted them because it was just a troll fest, do we really need anotyher topic showing how bad an idea the change to recipies and the supply bundles are?

Loot tables suck
    explicite locaitons for recipies suck
    . . . . . .

majoria70 likes this.
  6. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

I don't plan on being grumpy, argumentative and dismissive of other people's ideas so I'm not overly worried about the direction of this thread.

I usually state a problem and give a possible solution as per the OP. If they want to keep this system it needs some work.

7. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Year sorry if I can across defensive it is just that this topic is so blatantly a bad decision and continues to be one and go down that path that it is just frustrating to see it dredged up over and over AND OVER I couldn't just like your post had to beat up the topic again.

Kvow Triumvir likes this.
  8. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

No problem. I just think the problem is that this idea is half baked but is not necessarily bad. Giving people knowable things to do is what this game needs.

Achievement: Recieve an archery related crafting recipe from a bow wielding enemy.

Achievement: Recieve a staff pattern from salvaging a staff.

I'd like to see achievements in this game not because I like them as trophies but because I think they can be excellent teaching tools for the game.

Open up your achievements and look at all the crafting recipe ones. The achievement would teach you which mob you should probably grind for the type of recipe you want. Eventually a player would be able to figure out what they are likely to get from a mob by observing it be it a pattern or possible recipe.

Edit: Also, up the damn drop rate!

9. Vodalian

Vodalian Avatar

Yeah I can enjoy that some recipes are hard to find but this randomness is too much. I'm looking for sheets and bindings for rare metals but so far only loads of potion recipes, hammer heads, axe heads, handles and so on has dropped. The thing is, I have no idea if I have been unlucky or how long I should expect to work for what I need. Weeks, months, even longer?

10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Taking recipes that should be in our recipes as a natural progression just to have something to add to our loot tables was always a mistake and not thought out.

There were so many better things that could have been added. Yet over and over the easiest, cheapest way out is chosen.

Why not ask your backer community for great loot ideas? That is my question.

Take the opportunity to give examples of loot ideas any chance you can. Please don't let it necessarily just be 'more of loot' verses 'interesting loot' such as:

-pet eggs, you can hatch, some are rare.

-Runes or pieces of puzzles you find scattered throughout the world that open a secret door.

-Treasure map pieces.

-Rare paintings.

Etc

Edited to clarify

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Applerust, DeadSpider, Numa and 2 others like this.
  11. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

No recipes should have been removed from your book, from what I understand. If one was that should be reported as a bug.

12. Frederick Glasgow

Frederick Glasgow Avatar

This issue like a couple of others would get me in trouble if I said what I really thought. For whatever reason we seem to take the game into a direction to make it harder for new players,while players who have been here longer are given a very large advantage.

Numa likes this.
  13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

That wasn't what I was saying. It isn't about that. I know nothing was removed. I meant recipes that would go in order of normal skill advancement should not have been used at all.

Tiina Onir likes this.
  14. Trihugger

Trihugger Avatar

Did I miss something? Are we talking about something new coming with 45..?

If we're talking about how much we don't like the current supply bundles having the old recipes (that were by no means special and deserving of this added barrier), then +1.

IF we HAD to have this current **** system, splitting up the loot tables so that you could theoretically farm a recipe you wanted would be MUCH more ideal than this current cluster ****.

15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Loot bundles in general = smart solution for the devs. As such we and they want more of this concept going forward.

Current first iteration = not satisfactory at all since the color only is level based

What needs to be done = more loot bundle types specific to mobs and region.
    Just like @Kvow Triumvir points out in the OP.
    We need more diversity so that the loot bundles are more predictive AND make sense from inside the world.

Take AD&D as the classic example where different monsters have different types of loot.

As per the OP examples:
    • More Mob type loot bundles, like Archer loot, melee loot, Mage loot, Elemental loot, wildlife loot, etc. with entries in the loot table that makes sense from the world. Like mages = more alchemy recipes and reagents etc.
    • Cultural loot bundles. With stuff unique to those cultures. Like Norgard loot bundle, Shogun loot, kobold loot, obsidian loot, elven loot, etc.
    • Regional loot bundles. (Usually gray/low level stuff but higher drop rate). With resources and recipes unique to the region.

That way while there are still the generic loot bundles, I also get regular drops of more specific types.

So a bandit outside Ardoris and one outside Mud would have the same loot bundle drop rate. BUT of those drops some of the Ardoris bandit loot bundles are Shogun, some are Perennial and some are melee. While the Mud bandit would have some Viking and Norgard and melee drops.

Edit:
    Link to last weeks similar discussion.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/supply-bundles.98227/#post-865843

Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  16. Waxillium

Waxillium Avatar

Spoon for President

17. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

I apologise for the misunderstanding then (that said, I have heard reports of recipes actually going missing).

majoria70 likes this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

When they changed the recipe system so that not everything was discoverable there were a few bugs - all of which got resolved and the recipes restored.

After that IIRC there has only been the Royal Purple thing and that was a deliberate recall to hamper an exploit.

I did a quick search of the bug forums and the only thing I found was reports based on the misunderstanding where you would get the purchase popup to say you didn't have the recipe that you know you have had, so people would report that (but you in fact had it in the book and could craft it). Just a bad mixed state UI message really - which is now fixed in next release.

Numa, Tiina Onir and Moiseyev Trueden like this.
  19. Hemswal The Descended

Hemswal The Descended Avatar

I have a few new members in my guild that are getting very frustrated with their inability to make things like Fustian/Carapacian bolts of cloth. These guys have been playing hard and leveling fast and are really into the game but they have hit a wall where recipes are concerned. I offered to make those things for them but they want to make it themselves.. We checked several tailors, of course. I suppose they are drop only recipes now. But, in 1 weeks time, they've looted 0 recipes and most of them are playing several hours per day. Is this intended? I'm hoping I just missed a post about this recipe drop rate getting altered.

Kvow Triumvir and Mac2 like this.
  20. Furious Farmer

Furious Farmer Avatar

I am not a fan of the random drop of essentially basic recipes, however if the recipes were teachable even limited I would be more open to it. As it is now, if some player finds a recipe, learns it and never plans on using that recipe to craft, it's wasted. I have yet to hear of anyone finding a Bronze Spear Head recipe as loot, which really shouldn't be rare. Needless to say there is much room for improvement.

Kvow Triumvir and Tiina Onir like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.