Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback on Friends List and teleporting.

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Lord Andernut, Apr 5, 2016.

?

What are your thoughts on the current teleportation system?

1. I like the current system - zone to one house, teleport to any and all friends

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Since we can teleport to all our friends anyways, add multiple house binds

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Remove teleport to friends. Keep one house bind.

26 vote(s)
    37.7%
  4. Only allow teleporting within a regional zone.

19 vote(s)
    27.5%
  5. Allow POT's to activate a moongate for 30m per day for easy travel for events at cost (Guilds too)

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. Make teleporting cheap and easy and convert control points to something else (guild warfare?).

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. I don't care.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. I like Ninja Hamsters.

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

TL;DR - I ramble so I've just boiled this down a little. Now I've deleted the ramble.

1. We can zone to only one home (because regional economies - and wealth disparity, I'm not against this).
    2. We can have a seemingly unlimited number of friends.
    3. We can zone to any friend with a teleport scroll.
    4. This promotes spamming friend invites and creation of /friend me threads in the forums - now we can't bypass control points by zoning to more than one house - but we can have 1000 teleporting contacts and zone nearly anywhere in the game.
    5. Larger guilds will likely go one further and just run a bot 24x7 near each town or high yield resource area or on either side of control points for guild members to teleport to.
    6. The first restriction doesn't really make sense in light of unlimited friend zoning (even with a cooldown).

Now that I have illustrated (my) concerns with the current system, does anyone have any suggestions on how to refine/improve current system?

I've put in some poll options as well for thoughts. You can pick two options. This poll is not-scientific.

Perhaps the current system is just one step along the way of weaning us from the easy-breezy days of /zone to anyone.

I don't think limiting friends list will help, or even having a smaller group of teleport-worthy friends as this can be worked around. Even 5 guild teleport accounts is enough to move around the world map quickly.

Albus, Quenton, KuBaTRiZeS and 8 others like this.
  2. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

My suggestion would be ability to travel/recall to any marked location in a town or to the entrance of any scene, with a cost of mana and reagents, but never while over-encumbered (more than your weight limit). 5 minute waiting period between recalls. Make marking a location a higher-level magic skill which will generate commerce for marked runes which should be tradable/transferable.

If you have enough friends, you can basically do this now anyway. Just simplify the system and take some limited measures (reagent requirement, encumbrance, cooldown) to limit use.

Quenton, FrostII, Woftam and 7 others like this.
  3. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I didn't like any of the choices lol.
    I like the current system but it needs additions.

All teleporting needs to have AT LEAST a 30 minute timer.. AT LEAST. And both cooldowns be tied together, so if you teleport to a friend you have a cooldown on porting back to your house or vice versa.

Teleporting I feel should be based off the mechanic of going one way. Not an ability to jump and skip all over the place. Major limits need to be placed.

You should have the ability to port once every 30 minutes, so it can save some time for One trip. But then itd be faster to just run back than wait for the timer and port back, but you could do that if you wanted to be safer, but at the cost of time.

Teleporting should offer no more than 1/2 the travel time of any trip. This would foster the regional idea much better.

4. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

I only have my own experiences to comment on this. In the game that this game is not and I shall not mentioned for getting flamed, of which I played for about 14 yrs, No problem with runebook at all. My shop was very well known and way out in the sticks. I did extremely well, and shopped each and every day. As far as I could tell in my neck of the woods the economy did extremely well. Just like in RL it is word of mouth that will get you noticed and being consistent. But either way I can deal and don't really care which way the winds blow. Not my decision , not my dime. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I feel the timer needs to be more like 6 hours to be effective. If it is 30 minutes then you can just teleport to an area and play there for 30 minutes and teleport back. I would still be teleporting multiple times per session at 30 minutes.

And if you've got 3 characters are they all affected by the timer? Or with 3 accounts on 30 minute cooldowns you can be teleporting often. Even with a 6 hour cooldown you can have an instant supply network with high-strength characters and just keep teleporting them back and forth between two locations to eachother.

They didn't want multiple zone spots with the housing UI due to perceived advantage to multiple lot owners, but it's cheaper to buy multiple accounts than it is to buy multiple housing lots.

I personally have no issues with runebook and cheap teleportation etc. I just am looking for some consistency of purpose here.

If control points/regional economies are supposed to do anything then current teleportation rules completely bypass that purpose.

If they don't care about control points/regional economies then they may as well allow easy transit between your houses as well. If you can do it with multiple accounts you may as well be able to do it with multiple houses.

----------------------

The poll isn't very important, just my own thoughts - and hoping someone will come up with some solid ideas. Increasing the timer could be one of those ideas.

6. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

I'd rather see a tier 4 glyph added underneath chaotic step. Additional bindings at 10,20,40,80 and it's cooldown can lower as you raise it and your attunement. I was thinking the base cooldown would be like an hour or something, not sure what it should tap out at though. I think it should cost like 500-600 focus too, that way it becomes more of a wizardly thing.

Ahuaeynjgkxs and Time Lord like this.
  7. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

that's a tough thing to factor really. If they start making gameplay decisions that effect the single character based off that someone could technicly own 1000 accounts then that's not going to lead to anything constructive imo.
    you have to look at this from a semi SP approach too as to what would be balanced.

Womby, Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  8. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I agree with you, but they've made a decision regarding multiple houses but made it easy for someone with multiple accounts.

And in the current form one doesn't need 1000 accounts, you only need a populated friendslist to bypass the "restrictions" or be part of a guild with some "waypoints."

They put in some restrictions to prevent those who have invested more money (multiple lots) from having a perceived advantage, but because you can buy multiple accounts even cheaper than multiple lots it doesn't really impact the money invested reasoning, and because you can spam "friend me!" in the market or the forums, you can just have unlimited zoning that way.

-------------------------

You are maybe misreading me - I don't want them to implement rules to target the few while also [negatively] affecting the many (though they did target the convenience of the few (multiple lot owners) despite it not affecting ease of zoning).

Let's say I want to have a house in Brittany, a house in Ardoris and a house in Rift's End. That's going to cost some serious bucks, and being able to go between them instantly was construed as an advantage.

1) So they removed it.

2) And yet you can park an extra account (pretty cheap with steam sales or alienware tokens or credit sales) for far cheaper in each of those locations, for far less than owning a house.

3) And more than that, you can teleport to any friend you want in the game for the cost of a recall scroll (far cheaper than the above).

Though I am very uncomfortable with this discussion seeming like I am pro-house recall across all zones, I am ambivalent about it.

BUT
    Either we want to bypass control points, or we don't want to bypass control points.

The current stance (seems to be) regional economies are important and we don't want control points to be frivolous. On the otherhand the current rule-set however allows bypassing these by way of having a very large friends list (and encouraging players to have a massive friends list).

I don't necessarily WANT to have a staggeringly large friends list, but even now if I'm near Brittany and want to go to Hometown and see someone leaving Ardoris I'm going to click teleport.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
    Womby, Albus, cartodude and 2 others like this.
  9. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

@Lord Andernut ----------The only way I can see it working fairly, is to isolate the regions after lot selections. The Passes should be extremely hard to get through and if you are carrying an abundance of items, you shall not pass. There after per arrangement through gypsy's, caravan s, mail or whatever , is the sole means of transport for items at a cost to the other regions. That could be a solution to economical transport. If they keep friends , the timer should be hefty so as not to en courage swift travel as this is said bane of existence to the economy. Also for friend travel more than 1 recall should be needed, and be very very expensive. Now as to houses, keep as it is and let this be a once a day deal. As to visiting the other regions, moonstone only ,twice daily, and one way. Playing the devil's advocate here, no dog in this fight. As to those who have many accounts to by pass these imaginary conditions, perhaps ISP derivatives, of course can always use a friends computer, so that's a hard one.

10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~A Meaningless Map With Too Many Teleports~:oops:
    I just don't want our map to become meaningless with so many teleporting options. If we are to have regional trade, then teleporting needs restrictions as well as weight restrictions. Maybe not weight restrictions that go by the encumbered limit, but something just beyond that limit would be acceptable because the encumbered warning should be a signal that a player is getting very close to teleporting limitations.
    These are economic connected issues whenever we speak about teleporting vs trade, thus we either do, or do not wish teleporting to be a profitable way of transporting goods. We wouldn't wish to cause our pack animals to become meaningless, and I am against any teleporting them with us (which will probably come), I just believe they become travel cases when we are able to do that with them, yet it's probably going to happen.

My meaning is to cause bulk trade to have a need to travel across our map and not by magical means.
    Risk vs Reward is one of our game's cornerstone core values....
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Ahuaeynjgkxs, Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  11. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Great list of options! Well done poll.

Leelu, Ice Queen and Time Lord like this.
  12. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

+1 I'm with you as always on this one. :)

If we have to have control points and since we can pay to get through them anyways, why not have the Npc we pay outside the control point to poof us to the other side, so that we can avoid the loading screens?

*Edit*
    As for teleporting, as you can tell, I would say let anyone teleport and recall to houses/friends as much as they like as long as they have a scroll. :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  13. Noric

Noric Avatar

None of the poll choices reflect my opinion (Very Expensive teleporting nodes for events, increased expense(and major cooldown) for friend teleporting and keeping the single bind system)

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  14. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Unless there's an alternative that allow people to quickly travel to player events, removing teleporting will kill the only thing that make this game to be anything more than paid QA sessions.

15. Noric

Noric Avatar

As mentioned above - I would like being able to place totems(or w/e you want to call them) that have a duration of teleporting (1 hour cap each?) that have a sizable gold cost.

Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  16. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

One approach which I find interesting is allowing users to teleport to an instance cheaply, but no matter how they leave the instance, it brings them back to where they started. This happens in many games for dungeons. You can join in, play or whatever. But when it is time to leave, back you go. The net effect is that teleport is not really fast travel at all. This would allow for mass events, without breaking regional economies.

17. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

If they keep teleport to friend it needs to be much more restricted.

18. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I like how teleporting is coming along. We don't need to force everyone to play the same way. Not everyone is interested in the economy and that aspect of the game. I don't believe pack animals should be able to teleport, well that is my thoughts atm to give validity to them but they must be valuable to make up for the loss of the convenience of teleporting like they carry a good amount for you. Also control points should be made to have value to not avoid them like storylines, special quests, special loot or whatever. We can't force no fast travel or such extreme limits on this game that we lose people from it. Make the rewards for experiencing all of the game worth it but don't take fast travel options away from this game, it would be a dire mistake in my opinion. Let people make their own fun and don't slap their hands for it. Just reward us for not taking the easy way out but let us do it if we feel like it. Why make such a big deal out of it. And don't tell me economy because if we get good ways to advertise like town square bulletin boards in town squares people can compete in fun ways. It will be up to the player to be creative in getting their wares to market perhaps if we can bring our vendors to town squares occasionally as well. Many options other than limiting teleporting plus a helleva lot more fun. I even vote for high level teleporting from mages but then I'm a bit in favor of some level capping to make it so not everyone will have the spell. We can't be as special and individual with no caps. Ok well I'm traveling visiting my mom who is ill so I don't get as much time to comment so a lot of opinions in one place. *cheers*

19. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

I totally see the point of how the friend system can be abused, and the rationale for the regional system. Therein lies the major problem. If my house is in Ardoris (it could happen) but my guildmates are trying to run through the graff gem mines, for example, if I can't teleport to them they have to wait for me to run all the way across the map, Through two control points, while dodging random encounters. Or they can just go on without me. It will really put a damper on many of the multiplayer aspects. I know in other MMO's I've played I used to hate when we would have to wait for a player to gear up and then teleport in, worst part of the game.

Leelu, Lord Baldrith, Budner and 3 others like this.
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes:~This is the most important reason for our teleporting freedom~
    I totally agree @majori
    , when the end result is a game, many will avoid games or become frustrated that they cannot exit the game quickly in a safe haven or get to their companions quickly, "getting into the game".
    Our Player's convenience will always rule!

(other messy solutions)
    :eek:~Contraband for Quick Travel Alternative~
    Many of the restrictions that need to be in place for whatever economic zoned reasons could prevent the player from swift travel and therefore protect trading zones. It's a complicated thing from that point as to where the player is going and what they are taking with them. Quantity may be an answer to such overland trade protections, because through large quantity, this may be the only way to make a viable amount for profit.

~Topsy-Turvy Quantity Exchange Rates~:confused:
    One option could be NPC based market payments. What that means is that bulk commodities could bring more of a profit more than a quantity that could be carried by the player, yet with a limit that travels below what a player with 100% Heavy Lifter capabilities. With a rising payment for trafficked trade goods in larger quantities, this gives the Heavy Lifter Mage a way to make a profit, yet also protects the overland transporter's larger profit, having the ability to transport a much larger amount through overland trade routs.

(the future of our overland trade profit)
    :cool:~Contraband Alone May Be Our Overland Trade Solution~:cool:
    We are said to have contraband things that will have travel restrictions and an inability to be transported via teleportation. ~LB~ has within the past touched on such subjects with the twinkle in his eyes hiding the final details. Other items of lower trade value may never need then any way to restrict them, thus the rest of the above mentioned becomes totally unnecessary and saves us allot of trade mess.
    Such a contraband trade then becomes the way to make allot of profit for those wishing to carry such contraband items. Yet, "traveler beware", carrying those items could require you to be PvP Flagged. The "Caravaneer" overland transporter could be robbed on the highway by either NPC in offline or by PvP Players online.
    Those plants we wish to grow in our basements could be those contraband commodities which cannot be teleported, or even those special fertilizers that are needed for their better growth rate.

:rolleyes: This to me is the finest way to end any teleporting or zoning restrictions, by placing our contraband on the no fly list.
    *NPC* "Be on the lookout for smugglers around here traveler" <---<<< such things our NPCs say are there for a reason ;)!

Convenient free travel for those who will get less by risking less and risk vs reward is thus preserved.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Lord Baldrith and majoria70 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.