Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Feedback on Friends List and teleporting.

Discussion in 'Release 28 Feedback Forum' started by Lord Andernut, Apr 5, 2016.

?

What are your thoughts on the current teleportation system?

1. I like the current system - zone to one house, teleport to any and all friends

7 vote(s)
    10.1%
  2. Since we can teleport to all our friends anyways, add multiple house binds

17 vote(s)
    24.6%
  3. Remove teleport to friends. Keep one house bind.

26 vote(s)
    37.7%
  4. Only allow teleporting within a regional zone.

19 vote(s)
    27.5%
  5. Allow POT's to activate a moongate for 30m per day for easy travel for events at cost (Guilds too)

9 vote(s)
    13.0%
  6. Make teleporting cheap and easy and convert control points to something else (guild warfare?).

11 vote(s)
    15.9%
  7. I don't care.

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. I like Ninja Hamsters.

14 vote(s)
    20.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

One hour won't be nearly enough if the any of the content is compelling.

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Unfortunately this is not a detail that can done half way. There either is an economy or there isn't. There is no such thing as a pretend economy. The game cannot be all things to all people or it will cease to be a game at all. I believe we need to ensure some basic level of content, whatever form that may take. I support either, but I don't support ineffective half measures. The game needs to make a choice and commit to it.

Said another way... Consider Social Security... whether a person likes or hates it, everyone has to participate because it is simply not possible at all unless everyone is paying. It would be nice to have the choice to participate or not, but that choice would destroy the program.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Womby and Leelu like this.
  3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The zone to friend is clearly to allow friends to adventure more easily. It's goal is to bring people together.

In the process, it trivializes regional economy.

The change is simple. Teleport to bind while not encumbered stays the same. Teleport to friend is severely limited by weight.

Make the system ignore weight of equipped wearables (armor, weapon, instrument, belt, etc). Limit teleport to friend to 10 pounds of non-equipped items. (Or 5 pounds, or 20 pounds, whatever feels right to the Devs).

Make it so when teleporting to friends, you can only ever move just yourself, what you are wearing, and a teeny tiny payload.

Albus, Lord Andernut and Time Lord like this.
  4. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

If the game is too much of a hassle for a new player, they will move on and find another game. If this game does not expect a great deal of players, a niche player base then this may be possible.

Leelu, Lord Baldrith, Budner and 2 others like this.
  5. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

@Whyterose Flowers -I agree 100 % , why I put imaginary in there, absolutely just imaginary conditions, nothing I endorse emphatically. :):)

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

~Freedom of Travel in a Player Driven Economy~o_O
    I believe we are all still dreaming of buckets of NPC economy gold here and not within a player driven economy, where NPCs will offer only rock bottom pricing for purchased merchandise. No matter how much a player could teleport from one place to another, it's basic function within a player driven economy is mainly for collecting needed items for the production of things that will then be sold for a small profit to NPCs, or offered to players for less than what any player could purchase the same item from an NPC. <---<<< Any player driven economy operates within these parameters of pricing and regulated by the NPC sales prices which are determined by our games designers.
    Just some food for thoughts...
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Tahru and Leelu like this.
  7. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Overall

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  8. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I'm not saying don't have an economy just add other things to work around it other than taking away fast travel. My post did not state at all to disregard economy but give us incentives to contribute to it other than making the game miserable and not fun. Fast travel does not have to be the reason the economy fails. The incentives to not take the easy way out would leverage along with creating ways to market and advertise our wares. Also having the game A bit of something for everyone is not a bad thing imo. UO was and it did not fail. :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Lord Baldrith, Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  9. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Whoops - my last response failed. I was going to say that overland map travel is not difficult or lengthy (for me), and I never expected an instant teleport to friends feature. I thought there might be more fast travel options - though I also thought the world would be much bigger than it is with most hexes being an explorable area. Basically the overland map IS fast travel as it bypasses scenes entirely.

I do not think that having or not having teleport to friends feature is going to make the game niche.

I don't want to make travel necessarily difficult, I just want some consistency of vision and rules and right now we don't have that lining up in regards to intent and design with control points and friends teleport.

Womby, Albus, helm and 2 others like this.
  10. ottomaddux

ottomaddux Avatar

Bad example SS is a half measure to start with, it is a broken system.

Leelu likes this.
  11. Noric

Noric Avatar

That was intentional. It means they will need to place 2-5 totems which increases the gold cost. More importantly it means a group of players would need 168 totems a week to maintain 100% uptime (people would consider doing this)

12. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

it takes me me approxiamately 5 minutes to run from one side of the map to the other, including 3 control points, you do not need zoning to get to a players event, or to get back to what you were doing before you went to the event.

Womby, helm, Tahru and 2 others like this.
  13. Noric

Noric Avatar

I'm willing to bet that 5 minutes includes very short load times and a good deal of knowledge about the overland map itself - these are not safe assumptions for the average player.

Leelu, FrostII and Fister Magee like this.
  14. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

:rolleyes: YEP,Yep,yep!
    After a player walks it just a few times...

[​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

helm and Moonshadow like this.
  15. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

that 5 minutes also includes stopping to ask for directions, which the average player could do, if they wanted to lol.

Time Lord and Fister Magee like this.
  16. Noric

Noric Avatar

As a new player (also before 3/4 novia was populated outside of PoTs) I know I spent 40 minutes trying to go from highvale to soltown, now I can run the map as fast as you (load times allowing). The Overworld Map is overwhelming to new players. They don't know how everything is labled, they don't know what outside resources to navigate with and they get slowed dramatically by control points. Until new players take the time to learn about all of these things, their travel will be very slow. Considering that community events might be considered the lifeblood of this game, I don't think that we should risk excluding new players from them, through transportation barriers.

17. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

I won't be playing just for the events (though I'd show up for some contests) and I don't really care about teleporting whether in or not (though I would like to jump to housing lots if they're not close to eachother and will be using my friends list to teleport to the closest person for my second lot). My issue again is just the current system doesn't jive with the "plan."

Also - yes, the Overland Map, since you cannot zoom out very far, is quite disorienting for people. If it didn't rotate around you as you moved and remained stationary (like the original Map, and the map in the games this game is based from) it would be easier.

But mostly I would love to be able to zoom way out, but at the LEAST - give me an Overland Minimap in-game. Please.

FrostII, Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  18. Noric

Noric Avatar

Oh, I agree with you. The reason i bring up events is that they are very important to a large portion of the community. That means that any "fix" to make the current system align with the stated goal needs to be done in a way that doesn't undermine events.

Womby, Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  19. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

I think there are a lot of ways that you can have the ability to teleport to friends without encouraging teleport mules or mass friending. I remember in the original EQ that there were fellowships that were limited to 10 people, and if 3 of those people were in the same place you could teleport to join them. There was also something similar for teleporting to where your guild is gathered.

Not saying that's the exact solution, but I don't think it really takes such drastic measures to discourage abuse that you wouldn't still be able to use the feature as intended.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Bluefire

Bluefire Avatar

Regional economies will never happen. It is a neat idea, but there is no way to enforce it on a majority of players, period. Force is not a tool to use on people playing a game - it drives them away. Control points, no control points, teleportation, no teleportation people are not going to want to feel denied to travel the world.

Teleporting is a basic part of magic. Now you see me, now you don't. I think we should be able to bind to a point and then later get back there....but then that is when considering fun magic. I don't recall actual teleportation in any of U1-9 so I could live without it. Blink to a location you could see, yes, teleport no.

Leelu and Lord Baldrith like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.