1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Final Wipe and Lot Selection

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smack

smack Avatar

No, PRTs are a thing, as are POTs, but they are entirely different things. In the past, PRTs used to be simply called Player Towns or Player Forest Towns. See the R15 Instructions for example.

Yeah, I only bring it up so people know what the original intention was. I hope it wasn't forgotten and that they plan on doing something about PRTs in the future. :)

2. gtesser

gtesser Avatar

Thank you for all your posts. I agree with everything you said here about offline (UI, sleeping, save games, companions...).
    I would be willing to wait until all these must-have features are implemented before playing the game.

3. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

That too was described in the Duke/LOTM roundtable that we both attended. There was going to be potential player town areas hidden in the world that could be discovered and if players built them out with houses and got enough player traffic flowing through, then that town would show up on the world map and NPC shops and merchants would show up. That was going to be the catalyst to creating real player run towns without spending real money. That was the kind of stuff I was excited about.

4. Floors

Floors Avatar

Can you imagine telling the user of a web app "Hey, the info was in the database... I'm sorry you didn't get a nice alert to remind you (maybe with an ics file for your calendar even...) but BUDDY... the info was right there in the site !"

Just saying.

Moiseyev Trueden and Phydra like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I can see a general email reminder, yes. I can't see an individual "you are going to be selecting a lot in 5 hours" type of thing.

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

I can likewise see it in the weekly email update, "Don't forget to check your account page for the date and time your window opens" and people will still say they didn't see it.

7. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

How long ago was this roundtable? Was it before portalarium threw out the "every hex is exploreable" concept? I find it hard to grasp how large areas like this could be "discovered". Especially now, with player owned towns everywhere.

8. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I hope the plan is to give PRT's some variety too as in different biomes.

9. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

March 2014. Not sure on the every hex explorable timing, but it would make sense it was before. It still doesn't take away from the great idea that player run towns would gain npc's/npc shops and showing up on the world map based on player activity in that location rather than having to pay real money for that. Just imagine a player run village that is a hot bed of events and activity organically growing into a metropolis seen by all on the world map without having to spend a dime.

Instead of that , we have some Player Owned Towns that show up on the world map and whose owners have zero intention of that town being a hot bed of any kind of player events or activity, while many other towns which paid just as much money are stuck as instanced towns with no hope ever of showing properly on the world map despite putting in the time and effort to grow organically in the world.

10. Drocis the Devious

How do you know what someone's intention is? Seems like a handy skill to have.

4EverLost likes this.
  11. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

I know that because some owners have been quite open and honest publicly about their intentions which I respect. No skill involved.

Amsterdamaged, Ronan, strabo and 2 others like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

I see. And you think that's a bad thing, why? Can't you just go to the towns that you like and ignore the ones you don't?

Will every Player Run Town or NPC town be a hot bed of activity?

Maybe the Player Owned Town discussion is best for another thread?

13. TEK1

TEK1 Avatar

No need for another thread. POTs are relevant as I see them as not only a ruined mess but one the main reasons why the game is being launched on July 28th with many of the most important features delayed, cancelled or abandoned. I think Portalarium needs to go back to the drawing board and rethink how they are going to proceed if they really want to give fans and backers a proper game we will love.

14. Drocis the Devious

Well as much as you may disagree, I find what Portalarium is doing to be a breath of fresh air compared to the other gaming options out there. I think player owned towns are one of the best things about this game actually. I don't need to spend my time in a generic instance, I need a live organic multiplayer environment and that's exactly what most POT owners appear to have as their goal.

The game isn't being launched on July 28th, btw. The last wipe is occurring on July 28th. I keep hearing people flip the words around, usually followed by a comment like "it will be judged". I find that interesting since all games are judged, we've been judged since before we ever had Release 1. We're going to continue to be judged for the end of time. I'm glad everyone will have a chance to judge for themselves though. I think this is going to be one hell of a game.

15. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Not trying to shhhhsh you TEK but what is your point since POTs happened and we can't go back and undo that we have them. I am not happy with every decision made but what else can we do but impact the features that we still might have a say in. The game is not being launched on July 28th, it is just last wipe that will be done, although I'd like that a little more open to if wiping is needed for some reason. oh well just a thought.

edited

16. charock

charock Avatar

Very good joke, launch without wipe ! LOL

Tarsilion and rune_74 like this.
  17. SamRothstein

SamRothstein Avatar

I'm really glad to get a final wipe date. I probably wont roll a character until then, which is ok i'm still HUGELY looking forward to this game.

Until then I will probably hang out in ArcheAge and Black Desert for my MMORPG fix.

Duchess Fionwyn likes this.
  18. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Sadly I do think any hope for PRTs to get more love went away with the addition of POTs.

I feel for anyone who ends up settling in a PRT as it really is... Boring... If I hadn't found a great POT to settle in and was stuck in Holtrot still I never would have got as engaged in the housing as I did and kept increasing my pledge.

Brent Sasz likes this.
  19. 4EverLost

4EverLost Avatar

I think I'll just wait for a Dev to come right out and say that before I give up on it:p

20. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I'm dreading the login ques on July 28th. Could be qued during the month of Aug, hehe.

Leelu, KuBaTRiZeS, Alexander and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.