Fishing?. ? (Dev) Replied

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by OrionSnake, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OrionSnake

OrionSnake Avatar

Will there be fishing in the game? :)

2. sslaw

sslaw Avatar

I predict yes, considering what RG had to say about fishing in UO.

Forest Dweller likes this.
  3. Anuuk

Anuuk Avatar

Oh I hope so.. If we could sit on a pier or side of a river/lake or a boat and catch our next meal... I love games that have non important things like fishing so you can just take a break from combat and spend time just 'living in the games world'.. I didn't see where RG said anything about fishing in UO though.. Which video was that?

Forest Dweller likes this.
  4. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As much as I dislike seafood.. I would like to see fishing in the game and I strongly suspect that it will be there without us having to ask for it.

I would like to see it have some real gameplay value though. Something more than just something to do. If I'm going to have my character catch a fish, then I'll want them to be able to cook that fish.. possibly even catch special fish where you can harvest the scales or oils for alchemy and medicines. If I can catch a shark then I'll want to be able to make a shark tooth necklass and shark fin soup. Then I want to be able to sell the meat I don't use at the market.

Something beyond what we saw in previous works. If you can gather it or it's a skill.. then it should be applicable to the world's economy either directly or indirectly.

5. BK_

BK_ Avatar

They already said there will be fishing. However, aside of being a fisher I would like larger boats and ships too. Perhaps MiB's and sea treasures and of course sea monsters, like krakens (extremely powerful and rare) etc.

Sir_Hemlock and Clardog like this.
  6. Helorin

Helorin Avatar

I've always liked fishing in games, its certainly not my go-to activity but its nice for days where you don't want to think too much. Looking back at UO and fishing I really liked what they had done in terms of "loot". The maps were tons of fun and fish could turn a profit (not huge but it was still there). I'm hoping/assuming many of these features will carry over and get expanded upon.

One thing I'd like to mention/request is...allow us to blink. There are certain versions of fishing out there where if you happen to blink at the wrong time you missed your catch. The line does not continually twitch or give some extended prompt showing you caught a fish. Just a quick splash, if you didn't see it you wasted the cast.

7. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

<i>One thing I?d like to mention/request is?allow us to blink. There are certain versions of fishing out there where if you happen to blink at the wrong time you missed your catch.</i>

Yes, absolutely! I enjoy fishing in UO, but wasn't as much of a fan in some other games, probably because I don't find making myself go cross-eyed watching a bobber to be the pinnacle of "fun".

8. Bzus

Bzus Design Lord SOTA Developer

I can confirm that there will be fishing in the game at some point. We're still working on prioritizing different aspects of the crafting system thus we're not sure when it will be available.

I personally love fishing in RPG's and am looking forward to a full and robust fishing system. It's good to see you folks mention the "allow us blink" request. Becoming cross-eyed watching for bobbers is no fun for anyone!

What are some examples of fishing systems that you enjoyed? Do you prefer a less active system that allows for relaxation or a more active one that keeps you on your toes?

Eldyth, Montaigne and Noctiflora like this.
  9. RelExpo

RelExpo Avatar

Of course there are more important issues to tackle first but glad to hear fishing will be implemented eventually.

As for a system to fishing, I've read some people want to have an active system where you have to watch the bobber and react to it. What if a relaxed and active system were implemented? How?

Depending on the type of fishing pole you are using, you can either sit back and automatically fish, having to toss your line in every so often or you could be deep sea fishing and have to watch a gauge that has a "sweet spot" that when click on, has the best chance of fishing up some goodies.

Of course these are just rough ideas but would like to see what other people think.

10. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

As I'm not a fishing fan myself.. (IRL that is..) more or less active.. my initial thought would be that depends on whether or not there's going to be fish that more difficult to catch than others.

Common, easy to catch fish should not require a lot of thought. Kinda like going to fish at a hatchery or something. I had the unfortunately experience of being taken to do that once. You just put your hook in the water with bait and you caught a fish. No brainer.

Oh the other hand, if there is a particularly rare fish then perhaps you shouldn't be able to blink? Maybe you need special bait?

Well basically to sum up.. easy fish shouldn't require a lot of work. Rare, harder to catch fish should require some active effort on the part of the player. That is of course, assuming there are different types of fish to catch.

11. bodinebanned

bodinebanned Avatar

Fishing sim stretch goals anyone? :D

12. Minoc

Minoc Avatar

I hope we can go fishing for treasure....maybe by finding an X on a map and having to search for it.

Hopefully we don't catch too many old boots !

13. Jyskall

Jyskall Avatar

I think there are already some great ideas in this thread.

1.) Just prepare your fishing rod with some bait, and you can use it to catch some fish. A NoBrainer for the one with a long working-day.

2.) With better skill/equipment you chance increase to catch a more valuable fish some times.

3.) There is a minimal chance to catch really special ones, which are combined with a mini-game(s) like:
    - holding the balance of your fishing rod
    - pull when the fish jumps out of the water
    - etc.

4.) Special Areas/Regions for some sorts of fish.

5.) Sometimes you catch more shocking things like a treasure-map or a crocodile/water-element ...

14. Rhiannon

Rhiannon Avatar

For some ideas on fishing, look at the most recent fishing stuff in UO. It's totally different than it was a few years ago. I have a HUGE Britannian ship that I can paint different colors, has a huge hold I can store fish and other things, has places for cannons where I can fight NPC pirates or other PCs (and raid their ships), there are fishing quests from "fish mongers" where I have to fish up certain fish or crustations and they get harder as my skill raises and then I turn the fish in for rewards, I can fish up huge fish that can be mounted on the wall, MIBs that let me locate treasure chests with tons of good loot. Lots to take from all that if they really want to do up with fishing into something people can endlessly enjoy.

15. Buc Denizen

Buc Denizen Avatar

Just like BK above, I'd also like to see a nice diverse fishing system like UO's. I like that it's actually got both utility and adventure to it. :)

16. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

In response to the moderator's questions, I too enjoyed the UO style of fishing. Just cast it in and it automatically pulls up the fish. Fishing is a relaxing sport. However there was the Message in the Bottle maps and stuff that made it fun and also profitable.

Special fish and all that stuff is good too. Don't limit the creativity, but not every component of a game needs to require so much focus on the player's part. I like to just ease my anxieties every once and a while. Fishing was one way to just kick back and get fish with out much risk involved. I don't want to be fighting massive monsters all the time. So pulling up a random dangerous monster is not so relaxing. lol We aren't strong enough to pull up a huge sea monster on a fishing poll, but if it were related to a special fishing net or message in the bottle quest that would be acceptable in my book.

rowan50k likes this.
  17. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I hope there is fishing and currently, I enjoy the fishing style used in WoW, as much as I hate to admit it. You fish up some junk sometimes; fish other times and rarely a really cool mystery chest with valuable stuff in it. Also there are nodes that you can find to get specific types of valuable fish for crafting. EQ2 was too boring, no real 'style' to the process and UO was cool at the time, but too easy to macro and is now really outdated.

18. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I prefer UO style fishing. Needing a ship, fishing up sea serpents at GM level. Finding Messages in Bottles that lead to sunken treasure. Making a character build that can deal with sea monsters.

It was my favorite part of the game. The WOW version was alright but nothing compared to UO GM fishing.

Epona, TEK and Mercyful Fate like this.
  19. Andrew Vawter

Andrew Vawter Avatar

I would love to see a fully features fishing setup as well.

20. theUnwise

theUnwise Avatar

Fishing yes and maybe have lures be a craft item find certain items to get the best lures and certain fish make better bait, rare fish catch highly rare etc. have to learn sea dragon only catches on a spinner with lion meat ha idk

Time Lord likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.