Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Fishing needs to be more interactive to prevent Bot fishing... and make it more fun

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by SabeSr, Jul 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

As it stands now fishing can be bot farmed entirely too easily. If you put fishing into a hotkey slot and left your cursor over water all you'd have to do is set a macro to click the number for beginning to cast then hit left mouse button to cast wait set amount of time and rinse and repeat... entirely too easy to let computer program fish for us.

It would be better if the bobber showed being nibbled on and we had to move cursor over it and clicked on it to set to hook then real it in by some manner that required moving mouse in an unpredictable manner.

There are other games that have fishing and have reduced the amount of bot fishing by doing similar methods for fishing.

2. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Actually you can't just stand there and fish and gain much of anything from it because your chances of catching anything go down to virtually nothing pretty quickly if you are standing in the same spot, so you won't continue to gain producer xp for very long.

3. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

The system recycles the chance... you can bot it over time, if I let it run while I'm at work for 10-12 hours... my skill will go up. I don't want to prove it by doing it because then I'd just be some botter twit... but I've done enough fishing testing to know it would work. Yes I know percentage drops... it's irrelevant, I can keep casting and keep gaining something... that something adds up over 12 hours of fishing... do it on a fish node where percentage is higher.

But anyways, my point is made... fix the issue some time in the future...

Make it more interactive on the "fun" factor alone...

I came to PLAY A GAME, not fish for a real life fishing tournament where its boring as crap but pays me money so worth it...

Lord Baldrith and Time Lord like this.
  4. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Your skill will go up, but that's just because you're spending producer xp that you already have. The same is true for any skill that can be used out of combat. You only gain producer xp when you actually catch something, which will be almost never. I have no problem with fishing being more fun, but stationary fish botting is not a problem.

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

I want fishing to matter as well.

What I would really like to see is to be able to fish up treasure maps just like in old UO - go on treasure hunts with GM lockpickers, open a chest, kill the gargoyles that pop out and all the other meanies!

NOW THAT WAS FREAKING FUN!!!

6. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

7. Duke Gréagóir

Duke Gréagóir Legend of the Hearth

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos - we need your capchia idea in here! That will fix them bots!

8. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

capchia is NOT a game :p

Duke Gréagóir and Time Lord like this.
  9. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

I remember those, it was a blast trying the hard ones solo, and when you finally got chest open it was packed with goodies and usually a new map. Plus it took several skills, lock picking, mining and cartography.

10. LordRavenShadow

LordRavenShadow Avatar

i rember those days

Retro, Josh Randall and Time Lord like this.
  11. Josh Randall

Josh Randall Avatar

Yes, and often it took more than 2 players to do them - GM Cartography to decipher the map, GM Mining to dig it up, GM lock picking to open the highest grade treasure chests and a group of friends to kill off the mobs before getting the treasure!

And also good was everyone standing around waiting to find out what was inside and who was going to get an upgrade or just some gold or trinket!

Good stuff that - this game could really benefit from something like that!

Group oriented content - I like it!

Content dependent on more than one player - I love it!

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  12. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Sadly many complain that they cannot beat the game alone :(... and they listen...

13. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I think what would make all gathering skills more interesting are more abilities.

Here's what I'd really like to see:
    • When you start gathering, you switch from the General Hotkey set to a Gathering Hotkey set
    • Each Gathering skill would have ~3 Glyphs that can be learned. These would have two uses:
      • They can be used anytime while gathering with an effect based on the skill (i.e., increase harvesting speed but do additional durability damage to tools, decrease durability damage but reduce critical chance, or as a capstone, increase speed and meticulous collection chance but increase durability damage and have a large focus cost).
      • Or, they can be used to offset an "event". This would be similar to crafting, where you need to introduce a fuel to offset a failure. This would simply require the skill be available, costs some Focus, plus whatever the skill itself does.
    • Glyphs would randomly be dealt, based on the currently used skill set (there would be no "locked" gathering hotkeys).
    This would make all of the gathering skills much more "fun" to use, and provide ways to speed up the process. This has the benefit of using systems that already exist in the game, should be easy to implement, and shouldn't have a large effect on gathering except to make the whole process less tedious.

14. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I like the ideas... however I'd like a bit of realism on tool "damage" and other incompatible skills... you don't dull a scythe by cutting cotton or nightshade... even if you go fast, and even then a slight sharpening should do the trick, especially with high end materials used to build it.

I understand the need for all gathering skills to be kinda fair to each other but it screams bad RPG to me... we need to be creative in advantages of each skill or it will look cheap.

For example I don't like the fact a blacksmith with crooked fingers can also take musicianship... it makes no sense. It spells GRIND to me.

Powergamers are rewarded way too much in the current model.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.