1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Forced Connection Exploits

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

If you dont know what it is , your not doing it, and the post doesnt effect you.
    Simply put

Now answer the more important question darkstar. What about sync issues and the current ranged issues? I dont login to this game to play a broken solo char. Would be nice to know if i am spending a month somewhere else or not instead of waiting on an answer on forums.

Alexander, Barugon and Fister Magee like this.
  2. Net

Net Avatar

I kind of wish they did and were banned though it is probably not so easy to track them down unless someone seriously breaks things to get insane xp or resource gains per hour.

Gaelis likes this.
  3. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Assuming a steal (or ransoms, etc) is recorded in the database, you could look for a certain number of them in a short amount of time in the same scene. The anecdotal story is that you can clear someone out in a couple minutes so this shouldn't be terribly hard.

4. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Blah! Everyones upset over macros and botting.

[word removed by Berek] exploiting the connection issues are less of an issue then normal players unable to play.

Whats the timing on the fix for the ranged issues? And whats the status on a fix so i can play with a group of people instead of dieing to invisible mobs agian?
    Does *shortly* mean r38 or sometime sooner?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2017
  5. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Black Tortoise likes this.
  6. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

So glad I don't have a clue about this.

Gaelis likes this.
  7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Except the ranged and sync issues arnt
    * forced connection exploits *

Or if they are related he should say so. If its r38 i have no reason to even login for another month.

8. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

My personal expectation is that there will not be a new patch until R38. After the developers returned from a much needed and well deserved holiday break, it's understandable that they would try to get the ship moving in the right direction for the next release.

There are a number of issues that impact me and my POT directly that will not be fixed until then. It's disappointing and far from the ideal, but it's not the end of the world. What's most important is that the developers use their limited resources wisely to make the best game possible and it appears that means we'll all have to wait a few weeks.

Black Tortoise, Elwyn and Acred like this.
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Lol then ill argue they need to re evaluate what a successful game is if they thought leaving 1/3rd of the play types broken, and having such massive issues if your playing not solo, while also putting the game on sale on Steam. If anything they should have reverted to an older patch.

This sounds more rude towards the devs then i intend, and isnt going to get me my answer, so thisll be the last time i even bother mentioning it.
    Back to playing other things, and not able to get the 2 buds i lost during holidays to try playing agian till patch i guess.

Koldar likes this.
  10. Tiina Onir

Tiina Onir Avatar

Considering I (and others) don't know what is meant by "force connection exploits," I can't know for sure that some of the strange behavior that I'm seeing, getting frustrated with, and assuming is from sync issues isn't from what they are using this term for.

Matt Harris likes this.
  11. Stoffel of Ratel

Stoffel of Ratel Avatar

My client was kept active for 1.4 hours as I was repeatedly res killed and stolen from in Deep Ravenswood. Not sure if an exploit was used to do it...but I thought my client would've timed out before then

12. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

Would taking off the PvP flag prevent people from getting killed or their stuff stolen?

13. TarrNokk

TarrNokk Avatar

Explain how you unflag while being res killed!

14. Insinious FizzleThorpe

Insinious FizzleThorpe Avatar

But its in development remember? That is the line that gets tossed around like a salad everyday...

Solazur likes this.
  15. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

This is crazy to post two ban/suspension threads in 2 days with little explanation on anything to avoid the system. I have no freaking indea what this dex is talking about and this is un profesional post only to target whoever they are trying to target/
    Explain the subtleties of it because you are riling up the community and some people in my friends list are asking, should I even log in. Maybe Just playing that game is an exploit.

16. Yakamo LLTS

Yakamo LLTS Avatar

That has nothing to do with this thread, and you were treated like that because you were afk for over an hour in the entrence of Deep in pvp mode. Was it you who said, I thought I was in Owls head afk???

John Markus likes this.
  17. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

You walk out of the zone and you go talk to the oracle.

Fister Magee likes this.
  18. Senjut

Senjut Avatar

In regards to this and the other post on botting, I would seriously love it if you just hit the people who are doing this stuff with a 30 day ban. Get rid of em. You know who they are, we know you know, just shut them down for a while. You've made it clear on multiple occasions that any actions that give an unfair advantage are not ok, and who knows if the people doing these things are even reading the boards (I doubt it). Give them a lesson, and perma ban them if they keep at it. They're parasites.

19. Xeen Dread

Xeen Dread Avatar

Forced connection exploits and desynch are practically one and the same. This is something I've reported on the down low a long time ago and several times since (though not in those exact words).

Simply put, intentionally causing the desynch phenomenon via lag switch or other means for the purposes of abusing being 'phased out of or displaced' from the server's perceived position tracking, allowing people to bypass monsters (they wont agro your client-perceived location if the server still thinks you are at the zone entrance or elsewhere), possibly kill certain monsters that are ranged or have long leash areas (mobs will path to the server's tracked position of the player and then attack while player using FCE can shoot them all the while from their phased out vantage point, somewhat countered by path tracing and mobs evading/dodging dmg), and definitely could be used to snipe or steal from players in PVP that dont have mob AI 'evasion' protection. I suppose it could also be used for mining/harvesting while completely avoiding mobs too.

Server sees you in one place and responds accordingly. FCE player can move about and TAKE ACTION as if they are where they see themselves (range checks and nearby objects/environmental actors/mobs).

If you have ever observed a player desynched, you know you have to go to where they appear to be to heal/interact with them, but they may be following right with the group and able to heal you or damage whatever you are fighting just fine from where they appear to be off in the distance.

Similar scenario to see mobs attacking empty space where you once stood after recently desynching (happens all the time unintentionally, you have nothing to worry about). You see yourself in one place and can act accordingly. Mobs see you in another place and they act accordingly.

HUGE problem. Server is trusting client far too much.

I believe this ties into the whole 'zone master' thing, which also causes some moderate to severe problems when a zone master crashes/becomes unresponsive for whatever reason and a new zone master is not 'naturally' appointed in the case of someone simply leaving the area (zoning out) vs crashing/losing network connection (unnatural, sudden shift in zone master ownership causes a very unusual pause of the whole instance, bad things can happen).

Alexander, Bom, Widsith [MGT] and 3 others like this.
  20. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Hmm... so once you were dead, you couldn't exit to the menu and start on the world map?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.