Forced duplicate last names and reputation per account.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Grave Dragon, Oct 12, 2015.

?

Should Portalarium force last names and Reputation across all characters on an account?

1. No, I want each character responsible for his/her own actions and uniquely identifyable.

2. Yes, A Player's actions specific NPC interaction and all toon last names should be the same.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'm concerned from a PVP standpoint. I don't like figuring out who my enemies are over and over again because they're using alts. If they have to pay $45 each time, that's fair, I'll live with that. But the alternative is for me to never trust anyone that doesn't have a last name.

That seems unfair to people without a last name, so I hope the devs fix this somehow. Otherwise the name of choice for griefers will be no last name.

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  2. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

Wow, I can't believe that people are actually pissing about multiple last names. Is it really that big of a deal if you don't know who's behind both Joe Dude and Henrietta? Is someone really going to have some advantage over you if they RP two completely different characters?

3. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Not sure why it needs to be tied to last name. Can't there be something else that links your personal enemy list to the character?

On a sided note, if there is a finite amount of people in an instance at any given time, what gives reason to believe you will be able to maintain an enemy list? If the server has some method to bring those people back to you it's probably not the last name.

4. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

When someone presents an idea on how to separate two mechanics so it doesn't effect the playstyle of some of the gamers while retaining the original intent and they shut it down without even considering all the points, its not a receptive environment. I'm pretty disappointed in the way this was handled overall.

At this point I will agree that the second and third character slot is useless and wouldn't mind a store credit on the "value" of those features they mentioned.

Albus and FrostII like this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

Yeah, I've said that multiple times in this thread. I think last names is fine, but it doesn't have to be last names. It just has to be something easy to see and identify, and last names works well like that. If the devs came up with another way I'd be fine with that.

I'm not going to ban people from my POT, and I'm not going to put people on /ignore. I'm going to kill people I don't like, it's more effective and immessive for me.

If I don't have a visual indicator that I can easily interrupt as "hey look it's that same idiot with a different character" then it ruins my initiative and gives the other person the advantage.

6. ThurisazSheol

ThurisazSheol Avatar

the whole premise of this game is 'hey look, lets go play in a sandbox!"

my answer is no, do not force that on anyone. there are people i know who HATE things like the legacy names in SWTOR.. the perks are nice, but the names are not. why in the heck would i want any of my light-side toons to have the "hascookies" legacy name!? i'm stuck with it. *shrug*

i'm actually surprised that so many people want this to be a thing..but in that light - give us the option when using our second/third character slots, if we wish to link them as 'family' or something.

Budner, FrostII and Grave GodsHammer like this.
  7. Womby

Womby Avatar

The problem here seems to be that Portalarium has given people the false impression that they are paying for multiple characters. They aren't. Instead, they are paying for a single character that has the ability to shapeshift, and acquire and forget different skill sets as part of that change. I blame Portalarium for not making that clear from the start.

As for names, I have no intention of acquiring a last name just because my not having one makes BDF nervous. If it is such a concern, then I have no objection to someone being able to right click on my avatar and see the other two names that my shapeshifting character uses.

8. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I'm just thinking out loud on that side note. I mean if we have 5 million players for the meta server to filter to us. What's the odds of seeing the same person more than once. Short term and long term.

9. Proteus Tempest

Proteus Tempest Avatar

Forcing the last name? Yes, I agree. It lets everyone know who the player is even if the player is switching characters.

Making the alignment and reputation the same for all characters on my account? No I don't want it that way. That destroys roleplaying and most reasons to have the second and third character slots.

I had intended to play a neutral character a good healer and a psycho crazy cannibal evil *itch of the night. This is not possible with the current system I guess.

*starts yet another re write of my story line*

10. Drocis the Devious

Well the odds may actually be pretty good.

I mean if selective multiplayer works as we think it will, then anyone you interact with (good or bad) will likely show up in your scene if it's not highly populated. I think you're right if the game is supporting 5 million players (I hope that's the case) but if we have 50k and only 5k are playing simultaneously at the peak then this will matter a lot more.

I see your point, but I think if someone is trying to find you and you don't have yourself on /ignore or /block or whatever, then they'll eventually put themselves in position increase their odds. For example, my house isn't going to be very hard to find. :)

Ristra likes this.
  11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I think this might turn out to be short term though. The random unknown (not added to a friends list or guild member) people we play with loses value over time in terms of filtering.

For purposes of PvP match making. Reputation is everything. That seems like it could be used long term. However, is the open PvP flag persistent across character slots? If last name was used for an enemy list would it matter, if, that person was on a character that was not flagged open PvP.

12. Drocis the Devious

It would matter where I live. :)

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

If the only thing keeping people from griefing in PvP is a last name its a bad system

Lord Baldrith, Budner and FrostII like this.
  14. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Don't plan on venturing out of your POT much? Too much POT can be hazardous to your health. Got to get out and see the world some times.

FrostII likes this.
  15. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Sorry you feel that way. I wasn't trying to bash you, I was pointing out that your idea did *not* retain the original intent, in that it was opposite of the developers intent. Rather than acknowledge that, it seems that you ran on your tangent. But as Darkstarr noted, it's not a decision they will change, so everything in the last few pages is useless bickering.

cartodude and Sir Frank like this.
  16. Drocis the Devious

I definitely will. I'll go on all the quests, go to events, explore. I guess I think about it like this, statistically you're likely to get in a car accident only 10 minutes away from your house. The same thing is probably likely with alt character nonsense. If they're looking for you, they will know where to find you. It's not really a crime of opportunity.

17. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

DarkStarr ...I've read and understand what RG is saying but your game design kind of contradicts this.

RG wants us to play ourselves but at the very start I'm forced to answer not as myself but what I think the NPC wants me to say. If I answer as myself I'm forced into melee. But since I want to play a mage I have to manipulate my answers so as to get a mage. So, you guys have a bit of a contradiction there.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Didn't they say that stuff was a place holder and will be changed?

19. Duke Death-Knell

Duke Death-Knell Avatar

I don't think so. But I could be wrong.

20. Womby

Womby Avatar

I believe that each of the three destinations will have tutorial text that assumes the avatar is equipped with a particular weapon, and has particular skills. My understanding is that is why we are not initially given a choice of weapons and skills. I do not believe there is any current intention to change this.

I could be wrong, however. I certainly hope so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.